[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helen, those who appear to be working ahead are people who bought the pattern set years ago as a “someday” project—I was one of those. When we started the sample quilt last year because I had all the patterns at home we were able to get going quickly.

For those who have to wait, the next month will be released April 1. At least, everyone can work on ALL those Double 9 Patch blocks.

Keep calm and quilt on.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Barbara, i was thinking it might be one of your sew and sew group or someone who had purchases the pattern before the BOM. I am not in a hurry to get ahead. I am working on several other projects at the same time. I still need to do the stitching on the March applique blocks. Do you know if Margo tried ironing her starch soaked blocks using a pressing cloth to prevent flaking. HelenW

Comment

No flaking because the fabrics are completely dry when pressed. When people spray starch and immediately hit it with a hot iron, they get flakes--we have to let the fabric dry completely so the starch is absorbed by the fabric. No press cloth needed.

I'm with you having plenty to do--don't most quilters? There is almost an "abundance of riches" right now with SO MANY quilters/companies providing free classes and patterns on the Internet to help us. I have decided to only watch Alex on TQS--I have plenty to keep me occupied.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Helen, there is NO flaking with this method!
          Flakes happen when starch (any kind) is sprayed and immediately ironed, because the starch is just on the surface of the fabric, and you are just drying the starch.
          By letting the SOAKED fabric air dry, the starch is absorbed into the fibers and will not just flake off.
          If you are in a hurry, and don’t want the fabric to be especially firm, spray the starch on the back of the fabric, turn it over and iron with a hot dry iron from the front of the fabric to avoid flaking.
          Hope that explanation helps.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Yes, I bought the pattern years ago from Sue Garman. I have made several of her patterns. I use the starch template method, but I use Spray Sizing instead of starch. I have even used Best Press sometimes. It is so fun seeing everyone’s blocks.

Comment

Got a few more nine patches blocks done , and I only have one more appliqué block from March to finish .

Comment

Isn't it fun to see the quilt just beginning to take shape?!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Barbara, I loved your comment Isn't it fun to see the quilt taking shape. So I laid my blocks out to get a look at mine taking shape. My 5 applique blocks on the right side of the photo have not been edged stitched yet. Right now
                  my plan is to quilt as I go when I get 3 or 4 rows done, I will quilt that panel, do 3 or 4 more rows and quilt the next panel.
                  I plan to use a horizontal layout to get the illusion of on point design from the double nine patch.
                  Then use Marti Michelles encased seams method to add borders in a quilt as you go method. But plans may change.
                  I ordered

wool batting so I will be ready. Have not got a backing fabric yet. HelenW

Comment

March blocks, Shoo-Fly blocks, a hint of a June and pie! Shout out to all who’ve shared tips, tricks and asked questions. thank you! And to Sue Garman’s family for releasing this pattern to TQS for 2020 BOM.

-Terri

Comment

January blocks done . I was working on Bucket List Sue's Hugs and Kisses so have 9 blocks done but at home so started 2020 one. Have to go to church to pick up kits for masks for Mercy hospital soon so will try Feb. blocks tomorrow.

[

Comment

Finished the month 6 appliques, can't wait for month 4!

Comment

Now house bound so started and have January done. put the bucket list quilt, Sue's Hugs and Kisses on hold and have 9 blocks done. Have 15 masks to make for Mercy hospital as kits passed out today.

I am a retired RN so can make them at home.

Comment

My first two nine patch blocks. I starched the fabric after I'd made the initial row sets, but that was wonderful. Really helped with the accuracy. Unfortunately, tomorrow I have to find a way to be a librarian from home for 40 hours a week. So more blocks next weekend.

Comment

HelenW, your blocks are beautiful. I love your fabrics.

Comment

Terri, your fabrics are beautiful, as are those blocks. How was the Shoo Fly pie?

North Alabama, USA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X