[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like molasses or gingerbread, you will like shoo fly pie! Our local store didn’t have Redi Whip or Cool Whip
    or whipping cream, which I would have liked. My husband was happy I left my sewing room, found the kitchen and remembered how to bake!
    -Terri

Comment

Shoo Fly pie is a PA Dutch specialty. I remember having it in Lancaster county years ago on a visit to Amish country.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      North Alabama, USA
      "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I’m trying to put my picture in the message rather than an attachment. I did preview, but the picture was not there. Hope it works.

Comment

Boots, photos don't show up in the preview but you got it. Your blocks are beautiful!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

SHOO FLY FAIL :woohoo: I'm usually a really good baker but my pan was crooked and it bubbled out instead of up. The parts that were done tasted great, I'm the gingerbread lady in the family so I still have molasses, may try it again.

Comment

Barbara, Thx. It was your instructions that made me successful.

Comment

Heather7, Oh my! Smart that you used a baking tray. -terri
                -Terri

Comment

Here is my first Double Nine Patch Block. I have all the pieces cut out but I decided to do 5 of the small blocks and then build the full block rather than do all 60 of the small blocks first. It is a bit more motivating to finish a whole block than do so many of the same at once. I wanted to share a tip I learned cutting all these small pieces. I've been using pattern weights to help hold the strips still while I cut them. It really helps with the strips that are 2 or 3 strips sewn together. I was getting "wiggles" when I hit the seam with my rotary cutter. With the weights, no wiggle. I also starched and ironed the fabric at least twice. I sprayed one side, flipped it and ironed the opposite side making sure it was totally dry, then sprayed that side, flipped it and ironed until dry and then repeated. My fabric was quite firm and easy to cut plus there was a lot less fraying on the edges. Some of the fabric I again sprayed and ironed with Acorn Spray and Press. That added to the firmness, but it also added a lot of time (my ironing set up is in the basement and I sew on my main floor). I stopped the extra spraying when I felt the fabric was firm enough. While sewing, I did check to make sure all my pieces were coming out the correct size. my block is 7 1/4 inches. Now on to the next 11 blocks!!!

Comment

Bpalluzi, can you post a picture showing where your weights are as you cut, please. Thanks

Comment

March's applique are done. These were tough!

Comment

Diane - very nice work! I agree! I'm only done one block and am starting on the second today.

Linda

Comment

Hi Eyestitch:

Thanks for your comments. Here is a picture of how I used pattern weights in cutting the strips. I didn't have a long sewn strip, so I improvised a bit, but I think it still works as an example. In the top example, I have the long strip. I placed 3 weights on the strip spread across the length, with one on the top seam, one in the middle, and one on the bottom seam. I left enough space to do my cut at the front end. As I cut I move the weights bunching them up a bit to keep enough room to do my cuts. It is important not to have the weight too close to where you are cutting as it can interfere with a clean cut. The last example shows what I did at the end. I kept 2 of the weights and placed them right on the end. I like these small weights as they fit well on the strips and are easy to move. When I was cutting the strips from a piece of fabric, I spread the weights out across the length and they held the fabric in place. These weights are sold by Dritz. They come in a 4 pack and are sold on Amazon. You don't need more than 4 for this. I have a few more as I used them when I was sewing garments particularly when using knits. Let me know if I wasn't clear.

Comment

Month 3 applique blocks, 9 Shoo-fly blocks done and lastly all completed blocks to date!

Comment

Beautiful blocks! Janet

Comment

Janet, I love the way you fussy cut the small circles and the placement of designs on the fabrics. You really think thru using the fabric to add interest to the block. Love the secondary design from just the lay out of your shoo fly blocks. Looks like you are really having fun and enjoying this pattern. Beautiful work. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X