[vb_main_1]

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Fabric for Small Houses

I am late to the party so I have only completed the 8 Small House 1 units so far. I realize this post is too late for everyone that started in January but I thought I would post it in case it would help quilters who start the pattern late like I did.

Before I started cutting I decided to try to minimize the number of different sizes of pieces to cut. I came up with a plan to decrease the number of sizes to cut by half without wasting a lot of fabric.

The Pattern Directions for all the Small Houses combined call for these cuts:
    Pattern Direction Cuts Total to Cut
    1.25 x 1.25 16
    1.5 x 1.5 16
    1 x 2 48
    1.25 x 2 64
    2 x 2 8
    1.25 x 3 32
    1.5 x 3 56
    1.25 x 3.5 48
    1.5 x 3.5 32
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    3.5 x 4 8
    With my method you would cut your fabric with these sizes:
    My Shortcut Sizes Total to Cut
    2 x 1.75 144
    1.5 x 3.5 168
    3.5 x 3.5 24
    2 x 2 8
    4 x 3.5 8
    I have attached a file to a later post with more details for each house. I am using 30-32 different fabrics so I cut a 3.5" x WOF strip from each fabric and then cut out the pieces as follows:
    5 each 2 x 1.75
    5 each 1.5 x 3.5
    1 each 3.5 x 3.5
    In addition, I cut 8 different 2 x 2 pieces and 8 different 4 x 3.5 pieces for the Small House 4 window and roof.

With this method I have been able to mix and match pieces for all the Small Houses with a few pieces left over which I hope to use later in the buildings. It has been fun to have all the cuts done and then play with the fabric combinations before starting to sew.

~Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Lee-luv2craft54; 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM.

Nancy Lee, What a great idea. Sorry you are late to the party, this would have helped a lot of quilters.
    I don't see your files or picture. Maybe try again. I have had a really hard time getting some of my posts and pictures not to disappear. HelenW

Comment

Thanks and Yes I did have difficulty attaching the file. My post even had to go to Potential Spam Jail for a bit as they thought I was a Bot trying to edit the post :-)

Here is the detailed chart and a photo of my Small House 3 fabric cut, sorted and ready to sew.
      Last edited by Nancy Lee-luv2craft54; 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM. Reason: Updated to correct a typo in the Small House 3 section.

Comment

To avoid confusion when cutting sky fabric, I lay the fabric right sides together and cut strips of 5.5" or 7.5". This automatically gives you the 2 face-up or face-down. With these rectangles, you may waste some fabric but it allows you to place them any way needed.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 88 users online. 0 members and 88 guests.

Most users ever online was 130 at 05:26 AM on 03-29-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
        X