MARINER'S COMPASS--SHOW YOURS HERE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "Dena_Limpede" post=154233
    Thanks HelenW.
    Yes ma'am I'm afraid I won't be able to easily correct those points but I need the practice so I'll keep making them till I get it right!
    Dena, see my answer here to someone with the same problem, it is the seam allowances when sewing the wedges to each other that causes this, IF the wedge pattern was the correct size and trimmed accurately:

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/bom-2021-color-my-world/9432-mariners-compass#154214

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=154238
      Originally posted by "Dena_Limpede" post=154233
      Thanks HelenW.
      Yes ma'am I'm afraid I won't be able to easily correct those points but I need the practice so I'll keep making them till I get it right!
      Dena, see my answer here to someone with the same problem, it is the seam allowances when sewing the wedges to each other that causes this, IF the wedge pattern was the correct size and trimmed accurately:

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/bom-2021-color-my-world/9432-mariners-compass#154214
      Looks like the seam allowances are being stitched too narrow. Look at these 3 pictures. I intentionally used red thread and left paper on and marked curved seam with sharpie
      pen so it would be easy to see. The 3rd picture with the narrow seam runs the points into the seam allowance, which cuts off points when attached to the roads.
      HelenW

Comment

Thank you for the early post of this pattern!!

Comment

First one I’ve ever made and I love it!

Comment

I've decided to go with the bright fabrics and my already made mariner's compass with photo evidence that it was made in 2012. I didn't think I had fabrics that would go with this block but looked a little deeper and found a layer cake that had the 10 mottled fabrics and the 2 border fabrics are from a UFO. Maybe I will finish the UFO first since it just needs borders. I like to cut my borders on the lengthwise grain with no seams so always have extra. I will probably add a few more fabrics for the houses and trees.

Comment

At HelenW’s suggestion, I’m auditioning color options for my compass. I’m set with using the two blues for the majority. Originally was going with the two greens I will be using for trees for the smaller spikes, but considering bringing in some house colors. My background is a pale lilac linen, so I’m liking some of these options. Between the compass and the houses, I’m thinking about doing a garden similar to Wendi’s Round the Garden quilt (photo is not my work). Would love your thoughts as I’m a newbie and putting colors together is rather intimidating. ~Carole

Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• soardkg
                soardkg commented
                Editing a comment
                Amazing!! Are these all wools?

• jeneenc
                jeneenc commented
                Editing a comment
                Exquisite! Can’t wait to see your whole quilt. I love working with wool, too.

• DeborahAgnes
                DeborahAgnes commented
                Editing a comment
                Love your decision to use wool. Great embroidery.

Beautiful.

Comment

I decided I wanted to use Jennifer Sampou’s Sky fabric for the background to show the different times of the day. I hadn’t figured out how to use for the first houses but thought I’d best try on the mariners compass. I may go back and remake some of the houses as they’re really fun to make! It’s not perfect but seen hanging from our porch as you drive by it will look great! This is such a fun, happy quilt!

Comment

• pestane
                  pestane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love your choices for the sky

I finished my Mariners Compass today. Here’s what it looks like so far.

Comment

Carole, I like the blue and green compass better than the pinks. If the back ground is lavender, have you tried any shades of purple instead of pink. Love, Love,Love the
                  flower embroidery from Wendy Williams pattern Around the Garden. It would look fabulous. HelenW.

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=154273
                    Carole, I like the blue and green compass better than the pinks. If the back ground is lavender, have you tried any shades of purple instead of pink.
                    The only purple I have is that of the second house on the left. It doesn’t do anything for me. Perhaps I’ll stick with the green, as the garden will certainly bring all the colors together.

On a side note—I bought a machine today! {happy dance} ~Carole
                    Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Originally posted by "nhbaskets" post=154274
                      Originally posted by "HelenW" post=154273
                      Carole, I like the blue and green compass better than the pinks. If the back ground is lavender, have you tried any shades of purple instead of pink.
                      The only purple I have is that of the second house on the left. It doesn’t do anything for me. Perhaps I’ll stick with the green, as the garden will certainly bring all the colors together.

On a side note—I bought a machine today! {happy dance} ~Carole
                      OK Carole, What kind of machine did you buy. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=154275

OK Carole, What kind of machine did you buy. HelenW
                        Viking Opal 690Q. My how machines have changed in 40 years!!!
                        Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Impressive!

Comment

I love the pinks in the compass!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 77 users online. 0 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                            X