[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

MARINER'S COMPASS--SHOW YOURS HERE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carole, Your quilt is AWESOME! I like both center stars, but the one with pink really speaks to me. Can't wait to see this done!

Comment

I think I posted yesterday in the wrong area. I fear I will lose some points on the Mariner's Compass. I used a plainer background/sky as I was worried it might look too busy. But I may decide to change the background as I go further. Enjoying this BOM very much.

Comment

I finished but am hesitant to trim outer edges from past piecing experiences.
        Any disadvantages to waiting to trim until I see if this is pieced in or appliquéd over?
        And I went a bit darker on blues since my background is colorless

Comment

Bammer, love your block. It appears you kept the paper on since you haven't trimmed yet. The Mariner's Compass is pieced into the Inner Road, Month 5. You can wait to trim until them, if you choose.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Here's my Mariners Compass. The circumference only measures between 14-1/4" - to - 14-3/8", just a tad short of 14.5". I hope that I can make it work, perhaps by "widening my road" or using a 1/8" seam between Mariners Compass and road. If not, I may be forced to design my own center for this quilt, since I do not think a redo will make any difference. I worked on it as carefully as I could

Comment

Thank you- paper’s removed but saved to trim later. I just didn’t trim the outer edge
              It’s my first compass ever and I had forgotten how much I love paper-piecing !
              I may make another in lighter value and see which one I like better in month 5... other one could always become the label

Comment

Nita, if the pattern was accurate--and you can tell by measuring piece F--it should measure 7" finished on the long edge--the problem came when sewing the wedges to each other. Each pair of wedges becomes a quarter circle.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I just measured piece F on my pattern, exactly 7".
                  And I did join each pair of wedges to create a quarter circle, then joined the 4 circles to create the whole circle.
                  Which must mean that the problem came when sewing I sewed the wedges together ... Which, as I mentioned, I did as carefully as I possibly could. In fact, it took me 3 afternoons to complete the Mariner Compass, since I took my time rather than rush through it. Yes, I am discouraged. But if I need to redesign the center on my quilt, i will

Comment

Originally posted by "Bammer" post=154352
                    I finished but am hesitant to trim outer edges from past piecing experiences.
                    Any disadvantages to waiting to trim until I see if this is pieced in or appliquéd over?
                    And I went a bit darker on blues since my background is colorless
                    Bammer, Smart not to trim the outer edge until the whole circle was together. If you want to trim it now, get a 14 1/2 inch circle template, it could be tracing paper,
                    center it on the compass you should be able to see thru it. By not trimming the outside edge you have given yourself wiggle room and you will have a full 1/4 inch seam allowance on the outside of the circle. A lot of other people are going to find they come up a little short.
                    Jacqueline De Jonge, always has you leave the curve section long until you put the circle together, she is the queen of freezer paper paper piecing circles. Look her
                    up if you have not seen her work. HelenW

Comment

Compass complete!

Comment

Originally posted by "NitafromNY" post=154354
                        Here's my Mariners Compass. The circumference only measures between 14-1/4" - to - 14-3/8", just a tad short of 14.5". I hope that I can make it work, perhaps by "widening my road" or using a 1/8" seam between Mariners Compass and road. If not, I may be forced to design my own center for this quilt, since I do not think a redo will make any difference. I worked on it as carefully as I could
                        NitafromNY, Your compass looks great. Sorry to hear it is just a little short of the 14 1/2 diameter. You said you were open to using an 1/8 inch seam between the road and the
                        compass. If you plan do that, maybe you could draw the stitching line on the wrong side of the compass with a frixion pen. That way you are not guessing if you have the correct
                        distance. Make a 14 inch diameter circle on tracing paper. Cut it out. Scotch tape it, centered on the back of the compass. Trace the edge onto the compass fabric. Then when
                        you make your road circle, trace the stitching line 1/4 inch and align the two stitching lines to stitch. I have done that on straight pieced blocks when I was 1/8 inch short, but not
                        on a circle. So I don't know it it would work. There might be other ways too. HelenW

Comment

Thanks, Helen ... good suggestions and I will give them a try.
                          Actually, I tried re-pressing my compass from the front. This time I pressed the right side and I used steam, pressing firmly. My compass now measures a good 14-3/8" all around, a mere 1/8" short. So I am optimistic that the 1/8" seam (as opposed to 1/4") should work out okay.
                          And thank you for your complement that my compass "looks great". I humbly agree. Accurate piecing is not necessarily my forte, so I tend to gravitate toward easy piecing or free form, contemporary quilt design. The only reason I was brave enough to tackle this BOM was that it was paper pieced and my past experience with paper piecing (traditional AND freezer paper) has been very satisfying. Not sure what went askew this time and I hope my houses measure properly. I would hate to think that this will wind up in the trash. Been there, done that ...

Comment

I love your colour choices.

Comment

Nita, assertive pressing can often find that missing 1/8". Your compass will work just fine and this project won't end up in the trash. I found it took me until the middle was done, through Month 5, to really feel like my quilt was actually going to come out fine. From there, it was fun to build all the remaining buildings in the outer area. Just hang in there.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Everyone's compasses are so bright and unique. I made two because the fabric I used for the pink one seemed a lighter weight than the Kona cotton used on the houses. Bought the pink at a different fabric store.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                                X