[vb_main_1]

MARINER'S COMPASS--SHOW YOURS HERE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "ames" post=154139
    Mariners compass complete! That’s was quick and fun!

I haven’t used my compass colors in my small houses yet and I’m really indecisive. Should I use them in my first circle of houses, or just my second circle of houses to make the compass really pop, or, neither circles or both?! :silly:
    Wow - those colors pop! I'd use it for the background in all the 32 houses. I you wanted to change backgrounds in the buildings, do some samples & then decide, but I think it would look great throughout the whole quilt.

Comment

Here's my Mariners Compass block. I would have loved a blank Mariners Compass line drawing for practicing colors.

Comment

Here's my Mariners Compass block.

Comment

Originally posted by "TrueColors" post=154172
          Originally posted by "ames" post=154139
          Mariners compass complete! That’s was quick and fun!

I haven’t used my compass colors in my small houses yet and I’m really indecisive. Should I use them in my first circle of houses, or just my second circle of houses to make the compass really pop, or, neither circles or both?! :silly:
          Wow - those colors pop! I'd use it for the background in all the 32 houses. I you wanted to change backgrounds in the buildings, do some samples & then decide, but I think it would look great throughout the whole quilt.
          Oh yeah I’m using the galaxy background in the whole quilt. Thanks for your suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by "nhbaskets" post=154171
            Not stitched, but this is the first take of my wool felt compass. Points are difficult to get sharp so not even attempting to do the inner most points in two colors. Thinking about changing the two greens (which will be my trees) to house colors.
            nhbaskets, Great looking compass. Have you auditioned it by laying it on the background fabric. Really helps to see if all the colors work well together.
            I like the look of the one piece spikes in the background spikes. I think I might try that. Right now this project is on the back burner while I help a friend finish
            a quilt in a real hurry. But most got the mariner compass posts have ben done in a day or two, and we have a whole month. Not too worried about getting behind.
            I was trying to remember what % size you are making. Looks like your compass is about 9 1/4". HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=154195

nhbaskets, Great looking compass. Have you auditioned it by laying it on the background fabric. Really helps to see if all the colors work well together.
              I like the look of the one piece spikes in the background spikes. I think I might try that. Right now this project is on the back burner while I help a friend finish
              a quilt in a real hurry. But most got the mariner compass posts have ben done in a day or two, and we have a whole month. Not too worried about getting behind.
              I was trying to remember what % size you are making. Looks like your compass is about 9 1/4". HelenW
              Hi Helen, I’m using 65%, so yes, the compass is slightly larger than 9”. Will definitely place compass on my linen background before making final decision. Hoping to get stitching this weekend! I was able to finish my small houses 1 and 2 this week by attaching the roofs.
              I’m thinking I should use some type of stabilizer under the linen. Any suggestions? ~Carole
              Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Originally posted by "nhbaskets" post=154197
                Originally posted by "HelenW" post=154195

Hi Helen, I’m using 65%, so yes, the compass is slightly larger than 9”. Will definitely place compass on my linen background before making final decision. Hoping to get stitching this weekend! I was able to finish my small houses 1 and 2 this week by attaching the roofs.
                I’m thinking I should use some type of stabilizer under the linen. Any suggestions? ~Carole
                Carole, I have never used linen. If you bought a little extra, or have some of same type in stash, I would try a couple different types. I used Pellon 906 sheer wt. on some applique I have done, but I don't think that would work in your case. You will probably need to go with a tear away unless you plan to put the stabilizer the full size of the quilt.
                It would probably show or feel weird if you just did it under some of the appliques, because it would need to be at least slight bigger than that what you are stitching. I use Sulky
                Tear Easy , on a lot of the stuff I stitch that needs tear away. It is described on the roll as a soft lightweight tear away stabilizer. I get it at the big box store Joanns. Maybe some other people will give their opinions on this topic. HelenW

Comment

Carole Please read the edit in previous post . I meant to put Sulky tear easy stabilizer. HelenW

Comment

klwheeler, I found a line drawing for 16 point on Etsy, just screen shot & print
                    KANDY

Comment

I've done paper piecing for a few years now and especially love FP FPP, but this was my 1st Mariners Compass. I have a few tweaks to make before I call it done so it's still a work in progress. B)

I love every bit of this pattern so far and so appreciate Barbara and all the rest of the team`s help!
                      -dena

Comment

Originally posted by "Dena_Limpede" post=154219

I've done paper piecing for a few years now and especially love FP FPP, but this was my 1st Mariners Compass. I have a few tweaks to make before I call it done so it's still a work in progress. B)

I love every bit of this pattern so far and so appreciate Barbara and all the rest of the team`s help!
                        Dena, Great colors on your compass. If you look at your points, you will be having a seam allowance of 1/4 inch from the edge, looks like some of your points will be cut off.
                        HelenW

Comment

I have February done ... still haven't started on January :silly:

Comment

February done ! Love this project!

Comment

Finished January and February. Enjoying it thus far!

Comment

Thanks HelenW.
                                Yes ma'am I'm afraid I won't be able to easily correct those points but I need the practice so I'll keep making them till I get it right!
                                -dena

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                                X