[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve decided to only do shoo fly blocks and nine patches. Here’s where I’m at currently. I’ve made about half the 49 nine patches and 13 of the 64 shoo fly blocks. The fabric is mostly Grench General. Some old, some new and some fabrics I’ve had from the late 1980’s.

Comment

I’ve decided to only do shoo fly blocks and nine patches. Here’s where I’m at currently. I’ve made about half the 49 nine patches and 13 of the 64 shoo fly blocks. The fabric is mostly Grench General. Some old, some new and some fabrics I’ve had from the late 1980’s.

Comment

HelenEllice - I like your color choices

Comment

SnowCat - I love the idea of making two smaller quilts instead of one big quilt. I honestly don't need any more big quilts but the idea of smaller quilts to snuggle under appeals to me. My granddaughters have both claimed the quilt so they could each have their own.

There were some amazing blocks and quilts posted this weekend.

Comment

pcquilterfl, If I had the hand quilting skills I would probably do a combo of both hand and machine. Without knowing your skills, my first
            thought would be to stabilize by machine with stitch in the ditch in the diagonal lines made by the blocks. Then you could machine stitch a line directly down the points of the 9 patch that give
            the secondary design. Do that both horizontally and vertically. A variegated thread that has the small square colors in it might look good for that. Since the blocks are only
            6 and 3/4 inches that would probably be enough quilting if quilting isn't your favorite part of the process. But since you hand quilt, you could take your time and use the
            quilt after stabilizing and also continue quilting the applique blocks with echo quilting around the motifs by hand or free motion.

You could also do a little hand quilting in the blank background squares in the double
            nine patch blocks. I plan to quilt mine in sections of about 9 or 12 blocks at a time using the quilt as you go method. I will probably audition some different ideas on clear preview
            paper before I actually start. Never to early to start thinking about it. Would love to hear what you decide to do. It will be beautiful I am sure. HelenW

Comment

HelenEllice, Sue Garman called this “Omigosh” and her website sells a pattern for it. It works well!

https://www.comequilt.com/shop/c/p/Omigosh-x1911239.htm

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              North Alabama, USA
              "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by "Ckewing3901" post=147769
                DianeRoss,

Your blocks are beautiful. Are they needle turned?

Would you be able to share how you insert a large photo of your blocks in the body of your submission as opposed to as an attachment?
                Thanks Ckewing3901. Yes, I'm doing needle turn applique on most of my applique blocks. I've used buttonhole stitch on the turned edge of some of the more intricate blocks, but these are all needle-turn. And I see Barbara gave directions for inserting.

Comment

pcquilterfl

Your quilt is beautiful! Lovely soft colors!

Comment

snowcat

A wonderful idea to split the blocks between two quilts! The first "half" is beautiful!

Comment

HelenEllice

These two blocks are a winning combination. It will be a beautiful scrappy quilt!

Comment

Thank you Chrys. I’m hoping so.

Comment

Yes I’m aware of that Barbara. For me it came out of not really keen on the appliquéd blocks. I was firstly going to do some that I liked (when surgery can start again I have to have both big toes fused and I thought it would get done then). But then I decided no. I have three epp projects that I’m currently working on plus knitting and I decided that would be enough.

And I’m pretty happy with my decision.

Comment

Beautiful blocks. Helen, are these all made from batiks. Alice

Comment

Radquilter, no. If you mean my blocks they are French General

Comment

June is finished! I know lots of participants got their June blocks done early; I'm just thankful not to be finishing on the last day of the month. The remaining double nine patch blocks are in the works as well -- Yea!

Any pointers on getting rounder circles (berries) are appreciated.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X