[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 29th and May blocks done! Instead of another Twirly Ball, I modified the Rose Chain block from Faye Labanaris Applique Rose Garden book. Thank you HelenW and Barbara Black for idea and encouragement! Stay well!!
    -Terri

Comment

terrils - I like the block you substituted for the Twirly Ball. I had trouble with the Twirly Ball the first time around and ended up making a second one so I was going to substitute a wreath with 4 hearts, one for each of my grandchildren. I got almost finished appliqueing the hearts and remembered that the blocks would be on point which means my hearts would be on their sides. I started to unsew the hearts but looked back at my spare Twirly Ball and told myself it wasn't that bad so I have 2 Twirly Ball Blocks and a story to tell.

Comment

I've seen several people mention that they don't like the swirly block. I find those a lot of fun. If you're struggling with construction, there are several cues within the block that make them a bit easier. I cut a circle from one of the two fabrics in the swirl, then make the little swirl pieces out of the second color. The outer wheel has spikes on it. The corners of the swirl pieces are at the spot where the outer wheel's points touch the circle. So it's easy to glue them down in just the right place. Once you have that edge lined up, you can cover the inner spot with a circle and you don't even have to turn under that edge, just leave it under the circle. On this pink and yellow one, I used a large yellow circle, put the pink and white swirl pieces on top, then put the ring of pink in the middle, letting the yellow of the bottom circle show through.

Comment

That’s a very thoughtful way of attacking that block. Thanks for sharing

Comment

May applique blocks are completed. The twirly ball block has always been the trickiest for me, but it certainly is a pretty block design from Sue Garman!

Comment

Chrys, your blocks are beautifully executed--especially the Twirly Ball!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              North Alabama, USA
              "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Chrys,
                Your blocks are absolutely beautiful. Are you needle turning?

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Chrys, I love the amount of thought you put into the fussy cutting, the color combinations and your stitching is just perfection. Any tips, other than
                  just have fun? HelenW

Comment

Barbara, You outdid yourself by pulling so many pictures of the Afternoon Delight together to show how unique a quilt
                    can look when made by quilters from all over the world. I know you probably had many more pictures than space on your blog.I have
                    totally love every minute of this Joyful Quilt Journey with you so far, and still looking forward to when all these quilts are finished.
                    HelenW

Comment

Your blocks are fabulous. Great job in color & stitching.

Comment

Thank you, I will update, no idea why I thought you are in Australia!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Barbara , You were probably thinking of the other Helen. I clicked on HelenEllice and it has she is from Australia. There was a forum thread back near the beginning of the BOM where it was to introduce where you were from You probably saw that. HelenW

Comment

Ckewing3901

Thank you very much I'm using the Apliquick approach to prep the shapes and then hand applique.

Comment

HelenW

Thank you for your kind words I'm just doing a deep dive into bits and pieces of reproduction fabrics collected over the years to look for fussy-cuts that would work in the blocks. Applique = pleasant quiet time for me.

Comment

I started Afternoon Delight in February 2019 as a challenge from a friend. It was my first time to use the appliquik method for applique. I had a bundle of odd size pieces of Marti Michell’s Wild Rose collection as well as plenty of the white with rosebuds to use for the background. Being safe at home pushed along the 9 patch blocks. After testing several different border ideas I’ve decided to just finish it off and use a scrappy binding.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X