[vb_main_1]

Kaffe Mystery Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "oitsewkay" post=149280
    I finished my It's a Mystery to Me Kaffe quilt, but since it was a mystery to me also, I titled it "A Mystery to Me Squared". Since I am already a perfectionist at heart, my challenge was to make the blocks wonky, a la Jan Mullens or Mary Lou Weidman. The backgrounds are all white with black polka dots and the slices through the Kaffe Brassica are all black/white stripes......
    I love your polka dots and stripes. Wonderful quilt!

Comment

I do have a few with the artist’s name and an explanation of their work and the symbols used.

Comment

Sewskeel, I love the color wash effect you have going on your quilt. It looks great as is, but if you want to audition a couple possibilities, I would
        put lighter pink in the bottom block outside triangles instead of the orange. The orange looks good, but the shape of the light pink blocks would form
        a triangle corner of light pink blocks which looks more pleasing to my eye. Also the top right corner blocks just looks a little too dark overall. Dark corners
        on a dark block. A little out of sync with the rest of the quilt. I would keep the blue wash colors going to the corner block. Looks beautiful. You did great!
        HelenW

Comment

DJane, Your quilt is beautiful. To grow your quilt you might look for ideas from Medallion quilt patterns. A starter idea is one from EQ8. If your center star was the center block, then purple
          dot fabric, then block border around center square, then you can keep building borders either pieced or just Kaffe fabrics to make it bigger. This other screenshot I saw on line
          I think if you put another dot border outside your Kaffe blocks, then added sawtooth stars in a double row with the plain block fabric being Kaffe, that would look really good to and finish with another dot border. Just some ideas to get your creative juices flowing. HelenW

Comment

Alex please Please talk about size of 1/2 square triangles on the edge and please demo how to cut 8 at one time! What size would that square need to be ? I know 10 inches will work but I think too big, too much waste

Comment

Originally posted by "sewskeel" post=149299
              Alex please Please talk about size of 1/2 square triangles on the edge and please demo how to cut 8 at one time! What size would that square need to be ? I know 10 inches will work but I think too big, too much waste
              This has been answered several times. Look at these posts:

And if all else fails, do what Alex does—draw a 6” square on paper, add the triangle you want to it, then draw the 1/4” seam allowance lines around that triangle. Use a ruler to measure the triangle. Be sure you know if you are cutting a HST or a QST

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              North Alabama, USA
              "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Oitsewkay WOW....just wow ??

Comment

I have no idea how to get to those #s

Comment

HelenW thanks for the great suggestions.

Comment

When we finish our quilts, many do not like to hand sew the bindings. Alex has mentioned that she does not enjoy finishing bindings. I have been using this method for several years and always find that the flange adds something special.

Jenny Doan's Flange binding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQWwwAa2K0

Elenore Burns Flange binding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaC1ZbYcZ-k

Comment

Originally posted by "sewskeel" post=149302
                        I have no idea how to get to those #s
                        Every post has a number, on the right side of the post. Scroll back to find all of these.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                        North Alabama, USA
                        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Love how you handled the setting. Wonderful quilt! jo

Comment

Sewskeel, Barbara answered your question, but for those visual learners. Here is the screenshot of one of the numbers she posted for finding the sizes to cut squares for
                            triangles. I put a green arrow pointing at the number of the post. As she said each post gets a number. It does take a few minutes to scan back to the correct page.
                            You mentioned for half square triangle blocks on the outside borders. Be sure the bias is on the long diagonal of the triangle. You get that with making half square triangles.
                            If you cut larger squares into quarter squares, you bias will be on the outside of the block edge and it will more than likely cause waves and wonkiness on your borders.
                            HelenW

Comment

To Pines: Love all three possibilities for your quilt but especially love the last one with the white half triangles with Kaffe. It makes my eyes see two different things. Interesting!

Comment

/Users/Bonissone/Desktop/mystery quilt 8-18.jpg

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X