[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Kaffe Mystery Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make the same thought (not a Kaffe mystery quilt ) in an equation form... if you want to keep the head scratching going!! :P Jo

Comment

Are you a Geometry teacher? jo

Comment

no quiltjls, just fascinated by the fact that many things I learned in school were for the purpose of my quilting passion. Who would have thought that would happen.

Comment

I like them floating.

Comment

Oh I so agree, mine looked a mess it needs some control and inner borders give it that,

Comment

Love Love that

Comment

Looks great!!!

Comment

When cutting HSTs and QSTs having the out side edges the same length is not quite long enough because the seam will be 1/4" from the edge.

The "quilter's rule" for making HSTs is to add 7/8" to the finished size of the block and to make QSTs add 1&1/4"
                  Because I don't always have the perfect 1/4" seam, that varies with thread and fabric I typically add 1/8"-1/4" extra and trim.

I have also purchased from The Quilt Show, show 1604, Patchwork Math Using Quilting Design Components by Lynn Wilder as a reference. My most used books.

Comment

Originally posted by "williamskay" post=149120
                    Can someone explain the math for adding half square triangles to our unfinished 6.5 blocks? I want to understand how Alex came up with 5 and 1/4 inches for the square to be cut diagonally.
                    HST Math:

Finished size of the block + .875 cut in half once on the diagonal—short side is straight of grain.

QST Math:

Finished size you need + 1.25”, cut in half twice on both diagonals—long side is straight of grain

More Quilters Math:

Here is how Alex calculated the 5.125 square she mentioned—she DREW it on paper actual size to see what size QST fit her 6” blocks. I use a calculator.

To figure out what size HST fits a 6” block, when you want the SHORT side to be straight of grain. This is ONLY for the OUTER triangles Alex wants on the outside edge of her quilt:

Divide 6”/1.4142 = 4.24268137... 4.25 is as close as you can get
                    Add .875” (7/8”) 4.25 + .875= 5.125” These 5.125” squares are cut in half ONCE on the diagonal.

All of the INTERIOR triangles on Alex’s quilt are QST so the LONG side is straight of grain, are cut 7.25”. 6+1.25=7.25

It is past time for me to write my QUILTERS MATH post, I will get on that today.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                    North Alabama, USA
                    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

i really like that idea of using the different Kaffe fabrics to piece the interspersing blocks. thank you for that idea Nastp8

Comment

Is there a reason to use quarter square triangles on the inside blocks rather than half square triangles?

Comment

Originally posted by "williamskay" post=149137
                          Is there a reason to use quarter square triangles on the inside blocks rather than half square triangles?
                          Only because Alex decided to sew the quilt rows on the diagonal, as an on-point set. Using QST makes that long seam on each block straight of grain.

She said if she had decided to add 4 triangles to each block and sew the quilt together as a straight set, those would have been HST and they would have been cut 5.125"

She works intuitively, figuring things out as she goes. We have the benefit of seeing her process. I am not making this quilt, but if I was, I would add HST to the blocks--cutting them 5.25" so they "float" just a little bit. But that's only because I can see what the quilt will look like. Plenty of times I made the hardest choice possible because I was 'thinking on the fly" as I developed the quilt, just like Alex does.

Hope this helps.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                          North Alabama, USA
                          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=149138
                            Originally posted by "williamskay" post=149137
                            I am not making this quilt, but if I was, I would add HST to the blocks--cutting them 7" so they "float" just a little bit.
                            Barbara, I am so glad you said that because I was already doing it with some of my blocks. I was afraid it would look a little off, but carried on anyway! I plan on using a combination of set blocks and raw blocks using 6", 9" and 12" blocks. It is going to be VERY different and cool (I hope!).

Comment

My New Blocks

Comment

Hi, my son is here and I finally got to upload my picture.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X