[vb_main_1]

MARINER'S COMPASS--SHOW YOURS HERE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "Vivien28" post=154615
    If you have a tracing wheel, it really helps to mark the lines on the freezer paper and get accurate folds. I am trying to add a photo not sure if it is working
    Great idea! Thank you for sharing! Photo posted fine, btw.
    -Terri

Comment

Originally posted by "TrueColors" post=154610
      Originally posted by "Libbi" post=154594
      This is my second Mariner's Compass that I digitized in my Bernina embroidery software and pieced in the hoop--just to see if I remembered how to do it. It still has to be done in wedges and then sewn together. Now I'm not sure which one I will use.
      This is Awesome! So, if it was in the hoop, does this mean the compass was appliqued down, or is this just a screenshot? And it will be done in the hoop in wedges? I admire your knowledge & creativity in being able to do this. I'm using Tim Holtz's fabric for my roads (looks like what you used in wedges). Thx.
      The compass was not appliques but pieced in the same way as piecing with paper or freezer paper. The pattern is created in software and then lines of stitching and tackdown are are digitized. A different color selection for each stitching line stops the sew out and the next piece of fabric is placed and sewn just as one would for traditional paper piecing. I use a light tearaway stabilizer and a lightweight mesh to back the design. Yes, the compass is broken down into quadrants. Only one pattern has to be digitized and then it is duplicated as many times as needed and then the pattern is mirrored to create 4 exact copies of each.
      And yes, I believe we are using the same Tim Holtz's background of a distressed city map.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

I’ve been working hard on my quilt while the website has been down and have made lots of progress. This is my finished compass in wool and outlined in pearl cotton. I decided to plant a garden in the inner circle rather than a road. Pleased with how this turned out. I’m now jumping ahead and working on small houses 3 and 4. Once those are done, I’ll attach all 32 houses to my wholecloth linen background. Loving this project! Thank you TQS for making this wonderful Wendy Williams pattern available!
        Last edited by nhbaskets; 02-25-2021, 09:22 AM.
        Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• HelenW
          HelenW commented
          Editing a comment
          Carole, I am blown away by both what you have got done, and how absolutely beautiful it is.
          You are making your first quilt and it will be one of the best I have ever seen. HelenW

• Barbara Black
          Barbara Black commented
          Editing a comment
          Carole, you have really made this your own. Beautiful!

• wendygroszki
          wendygroszki commented
          Editing a comment
          oh, my goodness! This is stunning!! And I love the idea of the garden on the inner circle!

Originally posted by nmd3_2006 View Post
        I can not see any of the pictures people have posted ....does anybody know why? Thanks!
        I’ve found that photos posted to the old site are not appearing, but those just posted today are. Can you see the three photos I posted below today?
        Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• HelenW
          HelenW commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Carole I saw your fabulous pictures. Love the flower ring from Round The Garden quilt pattern
          idea. Absolutely fabulous. HelenW

• nmd3_2006
          nmd3_2006 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes today I can see. Thank you.

Here are my two Mariners Compass. I’m making 2 quilts because I had so much fun making the houses and I couldn’t decide on my fabric choices lol. The first one is all batik fabrics and the second version is all Tula pink along with my own hand dyed fabrics.

I realized after loading the photos that I uploaded the photo I took before I had it sewn together. I can’t figure out how to fix it.
        Last edited by Vikkilynn61; 02-25-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Does anyone else have trouble viewing the images in the post. I can see some profile pictures and the occasional fabric but mostly I get “invalid file” when trying to view on computer or phone

Comment

This month seems to have been extremely slow. I didn’t start for a few days but had it done so quickly I am amazed that it took me so long to try a Mariners Compass. Eagerly awaiting the next step!

Comment

I am not seeing and photographs either. It seems some are and some aren't

Comment

I'm unable to view any of the pictures posted.

Comment

This reply by moneil50 has been deleted by moneil50
                  cant upload pic

1st Mariners Compass.... 1st paper piecing....1st BOM.... I love it!
                  Using grunge for my solids.. Can't wait for next step!

Loving this BOM.

Comment

• HelenW
                    HelenW commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Marnie, Absolutely beautiful. HelenW

Photos that were posted to the old website are not showing currently. I don't know if this will be fixed.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL
                  https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                  "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Here is my progress on Color My World. HelenW

Comment

• nhbaskets
                      nhbaskets commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Helen, love it! I find it so amazing that everyone‘s quilt is so different and special.

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
                    Carole, I am blown away by both what you have got done, and how absolutely beautiful it is.
                    You are making your first quilt and it will be one of the best I have ever seen. HelenW
                    Helen, you are so kind. I’m truly enjoying this project.
                    Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	MarinerCompass.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	702.8 KB
ID:	882500Click image for larger version

Name:	MarinerCompass.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	702.8 KB
ID:	882501 Waiting not so patiently for March 1st. LOL This was my first Mariner's Compass, and it was far easier than I expected. Joining it was a bit of a challenge, as I had to press some seams in opposite directions to get them to nest. My center is off a smidge over 1/8th of an inch - I may rip it apart and work with it a bit, but I'm terrified of making it worse. LOL And I really need to stop using my phone for photos because the color balance is horrendous. :P
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ninabeheim; 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM. Reason: got an invalid file error (JPG) so I'm trying to reload

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 66 users online. 0 members and 66 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                      X