[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're beautiful. What applique technique did you use? I'm still trying to decide how to applique mine. Thanks!

Comment

Me? I use a mix of techniques. I prefer the look of turned edge applique. I use wash away applique paper in the shapes (there are several brands out there). Sometimes I glue the seam allowances under, other times I just turn it with my needle. Most are invisible hand applique. The red block is an exception - it has such intricate curves, and so little seam allowance, I didn't trust my hand stitching, so it's got turned edges, but I finished it with a very small machine buttonhole stitch. I did the same with the blue shape. And I got brave and did the curvy green shape by hand. Go figure -

And I use a mix of thread basting, glue basting, and pins...

Diane

Comment

Diane - nice work! Check out https://suzyquilts.com/fix-fabric-bleeds/ for your bleeding block - my very first January block bled and this fixed it - phew!

Linda

Comment

Thanks Ivanderb - I tried soaking with Synthrapol 3 times, and the red just keeps bleeding. And I know I prewashed that red fabric as well...

Comment

Try using a color catcher to get past the bleeding

Comment

Thank you Diane for your answer and great information!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Finished February "Afternoon Delight"!

Comment

So I replaced the red block that bled, with another red. And I went to soak it to soften the applique paper - and it bled too! I washed by hand with Synthrapol, removed the block from water without any bleeding. And while it dries, the red bleeds out onto the surrounding background fabric. How do you all avoid that? These are modern fabrics, from reputable manufacturers - and the red just comes flowing out of them, over multiple washings!
                      Diane

Comment

Diane did you wash the red before you used it. I find with these reds wash in warm water with even a packet of colour catchers then final rinse with a cup of common salt in a bucket. If that doesn’t stop the bleeding

Comment

Yes - I washed both reds before using them. Then they bled after multiple washings with synthrapol. Same each time - removed from wash water without stains, but bled into the background fabric while drying. Tried hanging dry and drying flat. I'll try the saltwater rinse - maybe that will do the trick.

D

Comment

Love your colors

Comment

I finally finished my February blocks. The blue appliqué block may still get redone at some point, but I'm ready for March.

Comment

Diane,
                                I have had a few red fabrics bleed no matter how many times I washed them.
                                I had a bad experience with a deep purple fabric bleeding into an important quilt after it was quilted.
                                Have you heard about Retayne? If I have a red or dark fabric that keeps bleeding after pre-washing, I treat it with Retayne. That works for me. I make sure it is very well rinsed - no soap or detergent in it. Then I soak the fabric in a solution of very, very hot water and Retayne, and then just leave it soaking in the very hot water until the water cools. Then test. It has worked for me so far.
                                You have to use Retayne before the fabric has been sewn into the block. Otherwise I guess you would "retayne" the bleed in the block also.

I have also read that repeated washing and soaking in a solution of Dawn Dishwashing Detergent takes bleed out of fabrics. You might try that with a block that is already sewn.
                                I would first serge the edges of the block to prevent it from fraying before subjecting it to a lot of washing

Judy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16 users online. 0 members and 16 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X