[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting ready to blanket stitch around the appliques. I will match the upper thread to the fabric so it shows as little as possible. What should I use in the bobbin?

Comment

eye stitch, do you have any bottom line or have purchased any of that 80 wt thread from The Quilt Show shop. that thin thread works well in the bobbin for machine appliqué.

Comment

Eye stitch, I also use Quilters select 80 or 60 wt or Bottom Line, in a neutral color. Adjust tension so it does not show on the top.. BERNINA has a new yellow bobbin case that is high tension, it works perfectly to keep tension right. Do some practice to get your settings how you like them. Be sure to write them down for the next block.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thank you. I have ordered Quilter's Select 80 to use on top. I do have neutral Bottom Line. I will use that in the bobbin.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

EllenCeleste,
            Thank you for your post about fussy-cutting the shoofly blocks to be on point. I hadn't thought of that.
            I have some directional fabric I am planning on using too.

Judy

Comment

My first four blocks.

Comment

Your blocks are lovely

Comment

HelenW, What type of thread did you use to stitch the applique? I have a Bernina 790, if you have a Bernina could you please tell me the settings you used on the applique blanket stitch? I love how yours looks.

Comment

Debbie, I have a Husquvara Designer 1 that is about 25 years old . I set the length of stitch at 3.0 and the width at 2.5. It is a double blanket stitch that puts down two layers of thread. The stitch goes side,back, side, ,back forward,back forward. I use what ever thread I have that matches the applique . I have a lot of Mederia rayon colors in 40 weight. I match the bobbin to the top color. I use the thread colors as added interest. Usually I go a couple shades lighter or darker than the applique. That way you see the stitch pattern. HelenW

Comment

These are my blocks. Should I change the centre’s? Also are suppose to make 4?

Comment

Your centers look fine. Month 1 the instructions are to make 2 Shoo Fly blocks. There are 9 total in the quilt, all made the same.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I like your blocks!! I wouldn't change anything. For month one, you only need to make 2 Shoo Fly blocks. However, there are only 9 total in the quilt, so if you wanted to make the others, you could. Then you wouldn't have as much to do the other months they were to be done.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

I finally finished my Month 1 blocks. They certainly aren't professional, but I'm okay with that. I'll get better as we go along. On the first two blocks I used freezer paper and starch; Blocks 3 and 4 were needle turned. Ready for February!

Comment

Ckewing 3901, Your blocks all look great. Nice to know that using different techniques can still give the same beautiful results. Good Job!!!
                              If you are ready for February, go ahead and start now. In the TQS video with Barbara Black I think I remember her saying to Ricky that you do
                              two shoo fly in the first month and two in the second. So why not do them ahead of schedule. And the total shoo fly will be 9. I know when
                              winter is over my quilting season slows dramatically. So anything I can get done early is a bonus. HelenW

Comment

I've finished the 2 Shoo Fly Blocks. I'm working on the Applique blocks. I was away for 2 weeks this month and am just catching up. The blocks have not yet been trimmed as I realized after I had them done, that I didn't orient the 4 patch blocks with the prints perpendicular to the center block. I'll ask in the Shoo Fly block if that will be a problem. But anyway here they are as they are now.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X