[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Kaffe Mystery Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do the math, the square-in-a-square unit needs to finish at 2" for a 6" block. That means the inner square's diagonal must be 2". Divide by 1.4, and find that the square must be 1.4" finished, or 1.9" with seam allowances. Bonnie's numbers are right (she's usually really good on the math). The C&T book is wrong - there's no way a 2" block on point will fit. And that same error carries throughout the book in similar blocks - something to remember as we go forward..

Around the Block Again, by Judy Hopkins includes this block, under the name "New Hampshire's Granite Rock" and uses templates for the inner squares.

Diane

Originally posted by "Kekaha" post=148499
    Bonnie Hunter’s website has a chart which shows that for a finished 2” square in a square unit, the inside square should be cut at 1 7/8”. My square in a square book by Jodi Barrows says 2”. My scrappy block, has small puckers and is slightly bigger than 6 1/2”. I cut the square from the hand dyes ar 1 7/8 and the block is pretty good ( getting those points and the seam to match is challenging)!

Comment

My quilt

Comment

Like. Great job.

Comment

here are my blocks - New Album and Single Wedding Ring...

Comment

Your blocks are beautiful & so creative.

Comment

Ok, so when doing the square within square, do I cut the center square at 17/8"? Someone's comment that the book is wrong in many places scares me. I was wanting to try blocks that Alex may not cover but I need accurate cutting numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by "evelynspaulding" post=148535
                Ok, so when doing the square within square, do I cut the center square at 17/8"? Someone's comment that the book is wrong in many places scares me. I was wanting to try blocks that Alex may not cover but I need accurate cutting numbers.
                Evelyn, mathematically, the square "should be cut" to 1.914427 SO 1 7/8" is slightly too small, 2" is slightly too large. If you cut it 1 7/8" use a slightly skimpy seam allowance. With 2" you need a slightly chunky seam allowance.

Just do your best and realize it's not brain surgery--close is good enough!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                North Alabama, USA
                "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

So today I decided to use a fabric whose color I don't care for. This color is drab olive green. I matched it with one of Kaffe's fabrics. Looking at it the block next to the Kaffe fabric really surprises me. I actually like it!

I hope this entry works. First time posting.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                  North Alabama, USA
                  "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am very excited to participate in this quilt project! I love Alex and am a huge Kaffe fan! I am excited to learn more about color selection. My fabrics are washed and pressed. I am slow to start as I awaited the arrival of the straight stitch plate for my Janome 6600. Also, my hand dyed fabrics had a lot of bleeding, but not my Brassicas. Did anyone else find that with the Kaffe fabrics?. The color catchers came out very clean.

Comment

Alex encouraged me to continue, rather than waiting for more light valued fabrics - so I did. All caught up now. I found it easier to cut the inner squares for "Single Wedding Ring) at 1-7/8". I could not get the 2" version to fit. Ready for tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by "Mamalinda555" post=148537
                        So today I decided to use a fabric whose color I don't care for. This color is drab olive green. I matched it with one of Kaffe's fabrics. Looking at it the block next to the Kaffe fabric really surprises me. .
                        Olive green is one of my favorite colors. Thus far I have used one of my least favorite colrs, pink, in one block. One of my two Whirlwind blocks with also have pink in it.

pines/elaine

Comment

[quote="DianeRoss" post=148539]Alex encouraged me to continue, rather than waiting for more light valued fabrics - so I did. All caught up now. I found it easier to cut the inner squares for "Single Wedding Ring) at 1-7/8". I could not get the 2" version to fit. Ready for tomorrow!

Your quilt blocks are smashing.

Comment

Hi! I missed yesterday’s video and am surprised to see it was Block #5. I have only seen 2 Blocks. I’m wondering where to find #3 and #4, and I can’t get the 29 July Block 5 video to play, which may just be my phone. Thanks for any advice. I have already learned so much about color doing the first two blocks. This is a lot of fun. Thanks Alex for trying something new.

Helen

Comment

I got the thread that Alex recommends, which I think is super nice. I should have rechecked by seam allowance. Using 80wt in your bobbin makes a difference. I was using 60wt and thought it would be about the same, nope. Just thought I'd share, since I think the blocks are getting harder.
                              I'm not a huge fan of yellow, but I love purple so.... I think it worked.

Comment

Hoping you have the book, block 1 - Double X #31(in book); block 2 - Golden Gate #40; block 3- New Album; block - 4 Flock #34; block -5 Single Wedding Ring #85.
                                I think.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 38 users online. 0 members and 38 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X