[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Member Blog Notifications

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carla, I am disappointed about the blogs too, but I do see some positive movement here in the forum. For a while, it seemed only a handful of people used it. Also, this method of providing links to our personal blog seems to be working fairly well. I'm glad to see you here now.
    Everyone, this link is not my personal blog, but a blog about one of my latest quilts on Superior Threads. I was honored to have been asked to allow them to share my quilt this way. Here's the link: https://www.superiorthreads.com/blog/2016/06/07/superior-spotlight-betty-jo-tatum/
    I knew it was coming up, but I thought it would be later. :lol: Hugs everyone. I'm still behind on reading everyone's blogs, but I hope to catch up soon.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Betty Jo! Awesome! I love your quilt and Superior Threads. And thanks for the statement that you learned "sometimes you have to step back from a piece to get it right."

You are speaking to me!

geneva
      Geneva

Comment

Betty Jo - wonderful to see your quilt on the Superior Threads page!

Barb
        Geneva

Comment

Betty Jo - I love how you used trapunto to create the billowing sails. Thank you for explaing your process; your quilt is wonderful.
          Janice

Comment

Thanks everybody for your nice comments. If you have any questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them. I actually had more about the use of trapunto on the sails. I had two layers of trapunto..one for the boat and back sails that I placed behind the quilt top under the ship spot, and one for the forward sails cut into shape with a piece of wool batting and appliqued on to the top to bring the forward sails out. I also did a similar thing on the cliffs, and the figures. It was not very hard to do that and it made a big difference in the visual affect.

Comment

The granddaughter was stitching . . . again!
              You can read about it here:
              http://terryknott.blogspot.com/2016/06/2nd-dress-this-one-is-for-my-sister.html

On another note, I've been doing some stitching and am beginning to feel like my creative spirit is returning. More to come! Thank you to those who have been inquiring privately.

Comment

Terry, How wonderful.... for you and your granddaughters!

I bought the smocked fabric to make the dresses for my granddaughters when they are here in a couple weeks. I wanted to ask your opinion on my beforehand thinking.

I thought I would hem the entire piece of fabric. I bought 1 yard for each girl. But if I hem it, then we just have to sew the back seam when we figure out their measurement, right? I have a huge bag of ribbons left over from a grab bag from a fabric store. I thought I would let the girls pick their ribbons for the shoulder straps. I would sew 2 pieces of ribbon to the front and back then they could tie them at the shoulder. Does that sound reasonable/doable?

I am probably over thinking this whole thing. Thank you for your help and excellent idea!

geneva
                Geneva

Comment

Sounds like an excellent plan, and if you need to shorten them, after you have made them into a tube, put a decorative tuck or two, about a couple of inches up from hem. They could then easily be let down at a later date, if necessary.
                  Geneva

Comment

Yes, Geneva!! We sewed the back seam and then hemmed it. It came with a rolled hem finish so we didn't have to hem either dress but the sewist didn't want the pink print showing at the hem. I love the ribbon idea. Have fun and please post a photo or two!!

Comment

I have a new Bernina Q20 in place and working! Click to read about my initial impressions blog It's wonderful and is clearly a great blessing for me. :silly: :side: :lol:

Comment

Congratulations Betty Jo, I know you're going to enjoy your new machine and your new spaces!

Comment

Nancy, I looked at your blog and scrolled down to see your Hoffman Challenge. Great idea! Wonderful contender for Best Use Of Fabric! I noticed that that award is usually given to a quilt that uses the fabric in larger pieces, as opposed to chopping it up (like I did!).

BJ, have fun with your new machine! I don't know why I can never get to your blogs, by clicking on the links you give me. But, I eventually get there. I did see your quilt on Superior Threads! Love the billowy sails!

Terry and Geneva, I remember that fabric from 30 years ago! I made a sundress for me, my daughter, and her doll, for a trip we made to Grandma's house. Fun! (I used some of the fabric that I cut from the bottom, and made the straps from that.)

Dawn

Comment

Thanks, Dawn! My quilt is pretty plain compared to yours and I'm not convinced it'll get accepted into the challenge, but I actually do like how the quilt is turning out so am glad that I'm working on it.

I've finally gotten around to writing a new blog post here that gives my to-date progress on the challenge quilt (at the end after some spacing for those who are also doing the challenge and don't want to see what others are doing). In this post I also show a new quilting project that I just started and a couple of non-quilting items that I've made. Come and take a look if you're interested!

Comment

Originally posted by "Scoopie" post=137366
                              ..BJ, have fun with your new machine! I don't know why I can never get to your blogs, by clicking on the links you give me. But, I eventually get there. I did see your quilt on Superior Threads! Love the billowy sails!
                              Dawn
                              Dawn, I can't figure it out either. I tested it on the several formats I have around here, and the link appears to be working. I am loving my new machine...spent the past couple of days practicing. Clearly I need a lot of practice, but it is wonderful.

Comment

Nancy, I loved your blog! Thank you. Your Hoffman Challenge is beautiful. And I like that you explain how it all came together, warts and all.

I have some fabric I bought in Kenya. If you'd like some, PM me and we can work it out. I bet your niece will love the piece you are making for her!

geneva
                                Geneva

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X