[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Okay, Count me in!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brenda I am not very good with measurements but my quilt had 30 pineapple squares and borders and it finished at about 56X64" so it was a lap quilt. I am away from home this week so I can't look at the T2T book to give you measurements but maybe somebody else has the book to hand and can tell you finished sizes. I know that the actual size of a single/twin mattress here is 3'x6'3". So depending on how wide a border you want to put on it I reckon that 48 blocks should be plenty.

Comment

in Linda Clements' "The Quilter's Bible" she gives the following measurements:

Bed Size ...........Mattress size
      Crib.................23" x 46"....(58 cm x 117 cm)
      Toddler............30" x 57".....(76 cm x 145 cm)
      Twin (single)......39" x 75".....(100 cm x 190 cm)
      Full (double).......54" x 75".....(137 cm x 190 cm)
      Queen..............60" x 80".....(152 cm x 203 cm)
      King.................76" x 80".....(193 cm x 203 cm)
      and then you add the drop, pillow tuck, etc.

my "Quit Ref" App for the iPhone gives these measurements:

.............U.S. Mattress.....Comforter.........Bedspread
      Crib........27" x 52"...........36" x 60"
      Twin.......39" x 75"...........65" x 88"............81" x 110"
      Full.........54" x 75"............80" x 88"...........96" x 110"
      Queen.....60" x 80"............86" x 93"..........102" x 115"
      King.......76" x 80"...........104" x 93"..........120" x 115"

Comforter: (all other than crib size): includes a 13" drop on 3 sides and no pillow tuck
      Bedspread: includes a 21" drop (a typical bed height) on 3 sides and a 14" pillow tuck

should help you figure out what you need - always depends on how you want to use the quilt :P

Comment

Lotti ...Great info ! Thanks for putting it all in one place !

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
          Lotti ...Great info ! Thanks for putting it all in one place !
          Now we just need to remember where to find it :wink:

Comment

Thank goodness :!: for the bookmarks ! If I had to rely on memory alone I'd be in trouble ! :roll: :roll:

Comment

Okay... enough talk about wanting to learn how to make pineapple blocks... received some scraps that nobody wanted... lots of novelty strips and a few other odds and ends. I figured, who cares? The uglier the better (I don't care for novelty prints in general). And here is the result:

I think Gylene is right: you really can make treasures from trash. I took fabrics I particularly disliked but am not displeased with the result! I will admit, I particularly liked what Lotti did with her greys and red centers; Lois' use of darks in a more composed quilt; Brenda's pinks, Cathy and Lorene's swirls, and especially all the different ideas I got from Rita's multiple projects.

I can't remember whose original idea it was, but after making the eighth row with the very small triangle just to see how it would turn out, I made the rest of the blocks with rows 7 and 8 combined. For that I cut a piece of fabric 3"x2" (very easy to do with a 2" strip v. the 1 1/2" called for by the traditional eight-row pineapple block).

Now I'll have to make some more blocks and figure out how to put them together...
              PS There's a monkey in there just for Lotti!

Comment

Renata, I love your blocks too. I am eager to do another one this time I think I will used lights as a unifying element. Your blocks are beautiful. Lois

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                  Renata, I love your blocks too. I am eager to do another one this time I think I will used lights as a unifying element. Your blocks are beautiful. Lois
                  Lois,
                  your idea of working with a light unifying theme is something that "talks" to me too. In fact, having lived in Japan for about ten years, I have this thought of playing with understated Asian fabrics for the pineapple blocks and framing them in ivory, perhaps doing every other block plain with a sashiko design. Or perhaps, doubling the size of the center square and place a specific design in the square. The reason the ivory color interests me is because it is the typical color used as a wide border on futon covers. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with. I know you'll be done before I can even start my first block. Part of being new at this for me is being slow at it... :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                    Originally posted by loise98
                    Lois,
                    your idea of working with a light unifying theme is something that "talks" to me too. In fact, having lived in Japan for about ten years, I have this thought of playing with understated Asian fabrics for the pineapple blocks and framing them in ivory, perhaps doing every other block plain with a sashiko design. Or perhaps, doubling the size of the center square and place a specific design in the square. The reason the ivory color interests me is because it is the typical color used as a wide border on futon covers. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with. I know you'll be done before I can even start my first block. Part of being new at this for me is being slow at it... :lol:
                    Renata, I like that idea because I will soon have Japanese student staying with me for 3 weeks. Can you think of some little thing I can do for her to make her feel welcome. It would be nice to do something like the quilt your are thinking of to remember her visit. That might tie into Pepper Corey's visit to TQS. She is going to teach sashiko. Lois

Comment

Lois,
                      my first inclination would be to make her a book bag that could double as an overnight bag (something like a tote bag). If you wanted something smaller than that, perhaps a carrying case for pencils, pens, erasers, etcetera. Finally, a cover for a school notebook (Japanese sized). If that is what you want, I can figure out for you the size you need. These are things that a young person might like, they are pretty popular in Japan, and certainly would be a nice conversation piece if done with pretty American fabrics. These three items are pretty popular among young people in school and certainly would be a nice remembrance of her visit to the United States and stay with you. I'll be happy to chat some more, offline, if you'd like.
                      Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                        Okay... enough talk about wanting to learn how to make pineapple blocks... received some scraps that nobody wanted... lots of novelty strips and a few other odds and ends. I figured, who cares? The uglier the better (I don't care for novelty prints in general). And here is the result:

I think Gylene is right: you really can make treasures from trash. I took fabrics I particularly disliked but am not displeased with the result! I will admit, I particularly liked what Lotti did with her greys and red centers; Lois' use of darks in a more composed quilt; Brenda's pinks, Cathy and Lorene's swirls, and especially all the different ideas I got from Rita's multiple projects.

I can't remember whose original idea it was, but after making the eighth row with the very small triangle just to see how it would turn out, I made the rest of the blocks with rows 7 and 8 combined. For that I cut a piece of fabric 3"x2" (very easy to do with a 2" strip v. the 1 1/2" called for by the traditional eight-row pineapple block).

Now I'll have to make some more blocks and figure out how to put them together...
                        PS There's a monkey in there just for Lotti!
                        Thanks for including your strip dimensions for your modified seven-row pineapple block. I am going to try that option when I get to that round.

Comment

renata: i found him, i found him, i found the monkey !!!!
                          and 2 pussycats, an elephant's trunk (or is it a mammoth, because it seems to be with a dinosaur's tail, some wierd creepy things, and fabulous butterflies...
                          so much fun - and the overall result is colorful and fabulous - yeahhhhh

Comment

Renata I love your blocks! Isn't it amazing how you can make something wonderful out of scraps that don't look like they could ever go together. I deliberately made myself use scraps that I would otherwise throw out because I don't like the fabric but they just blend in and work somehow. I love your pink centres too. I am not a great lover of novelty prints either but they work really well in the pineapples because they create interest. I like the idea of a Japanese inspired one - I would like to see that.

Do you have any photos of those little pencil cases and book covers that the Japanese school children like? I would love to do something like that for my own children.

Comment

Renta, Nice job on your blocks, I see the little houses in the centers. Hope to start on the pineapple blocks soon.
                              You all are very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dogs
                                Renta, Nice job on your blocks, I see the little houses in the centers. Hope to start on the pineapple blocks soon.
                                You all are very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
                                Thanks for your comment, Terry. As I was learning to make these blocks, I learned quickly that it was easier to cut all four fabrics for each round together (just lay four strips on top of each other), cut, then sew. I also found that if I measured the length of the block that was going to get the next piece sewn on and added 1/2", it was more than enough fabric. I have my cutting board next to the sewing machine, so I just laid the block on the cutting board and counted the number of squares on the cutting board.

You're right, some of the center blocks look like houses. That was unintentional. But, you raise a good point by indirection. When the value of one of the four fabrics surrounding the initial square was greater than the other three, the darker one looks like a roof!
                                Renata

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 112 users online. 0 members and 112 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X