[vb_main_1]

Okay, Count me in!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lotti
    renata: i found him, i found him, i found the monkey !!!!
    and 2 pussycats, an elephant's trunk (or is it a mammoth, because it seems to be with a dinosaur's tail, some wierd creepy things, and fabulous butterflies...
    so much fun - and the overall result is colorful and fabulous - yeahhhhh
    Lotti,
    so glad you found the monkey! I thought of you the whole time I was putting that block together, happy there was a monkey in the midst. My first stuffed toy as a child was a monkey and I loved it. But, I will say, you found a lot more stuff in my trash than I even saw!!! :lol:
    Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
      Renata I love your blocks! Isn't it amazing how you can make something wonderful out of scraps that don't look like they could ever go together. I deliberately made myself use scraps that I would otherwise throw out because I don't like the fabric but they just blend in and work somehow. I love your pink centres too. I am not a great lover of novelty prints either but they work really well in the pineapples because they create interest. I like the idea of a Japanese inspired one - I would like to see that.

Do you have any photos of those little pencil cases and book covers that the Japanese school children like? I would love to do something like that for my own children.
      Thank you Rita! You were my first inspiration to do pineapples, especially with your initial Christmas and other runners. I just needed a swift kick to sit down and do them. Now, my brain is racing a mile a minute on what I could possibly do next... oh, forgot, I was trying to do Sedona Star BOM too... If I can pull together the Japanese inspired one, I will definitely post. I might do a block and post.

As for the pencil cases and book covers, I found two things online that are close to what I envisioned and remember from living there. For the pencil case, the website is http://www.coolpencilcase.com/PhotoG...ductCode=C2017
      You might find online a pattern for knitting needle holders that are very similar to these pencil cases; then you would adjust the size to what you need. But they appear very straightforward.

As for the notebook cover, the website is a blog by someone who has done something similar. It is http://kirinote.blogspot.com/2007/09...ese-style.html
      I hope this helps. Cheers,
      Renata

Comment

Thanks Renata, they both look really nice and do-able. I think I would like a cover like that for my eReader so I might try that first when I get back home. Happy quilting.

Comment

I took a break from scrappy pineapples and gave a try with a Japanese-inspired pineapple block. Not totally satisfied with it yet, but it was a first try. I used Gyleen's concept of a bonus block from her book where you put a 4 inch finished square in the middle rather than a 2 inch square. Then I controlled the colors to give the block the look I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
            I took a break from scrappy pineapples and gave a try with a Japanese-inspired pineapple block. Not totally satisfied with it yet, but it was a first try. I used Gyleen's concept of a bonus block from her book where you put a 4 inch finished square in the middle rather than a 2 inch square. Then I controlled the colors to give the block the look I wanted.
            Wow - that is beautiful - I can't wait to see a few of them put together!

Comment

Renata, Your Japanese inspired pineapple block is just lovely. Lois

Comment

That's lovely Renata. The flower in the centre is really gorgeous. Making the centre bigger like that does give you the scope to use those fabrics with a larger pattern. Inspiring.

Comment

Thank you, Robyn, Lois and Rita. The fabric really did it all. But I see potential for using larger patterned fabrics now in a pineapple block. I'm thinking I should make this up as a donation to the Alzheimer's effort rather than letting stay on the wall. I'll put a small border around it and perhaps small piping (if I can get it right :? ). Any suggestions for quilting? Please??? I'm really at a loss there...

Comment

Renata quilting is not one of my strengths. I would start with in the ditch and then you can do other things once you have stabilized it. If it was me I would stitch around the flower and then micro-stiple the black with black thread to make the flower pop. But really, what would I know. Nancy would be better placed to help you there.

Comment

Renata, I like Rita I am just now developing my machine quilting skills. I would wish I could enhance the flower with some delicate machine stitching. I would want to respect the simplicity of the Japanese theme. I might look for some motif in the fabric design. For example, I saw diagonal lines in the ribbon. I might put diagonal lines in the white with white thread spaced rather closely. Whatever, I'd decide, I'd try to remember that in something as lovely as this block, less is more. That would also be in keeping with the level of my machine quilting skills. IT is going to be lovely. Lois

Comment

Lois and Rita,
                        your quilting skills are light-years ahead of mine. I appreciate your suggestions and will do my best. I agree that less is more. I'm printing off your suggestions and then will play on a piece of paper with your ideas. I welcome any other suggestions.

The quilting part really scares me... I did a round robin with my mother and sisters last year (they wanted to celebrate my induction into the quilting world :lol: :lol: and my sisters and I wanted to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday by participating in a round robin with her--they are all quilters, I'm not... ). My quilt in the round robin is still rolled up waiting for me to quilt it and we are getting ready to celebrate an 81st birthday... (how embarassing, she asked me last week whether I had quilted it yet...) I've made lots of Leah Day sized practice quilts but can't make myself get on to the real thing... Is chocolate the answer?
                        Renata

Comment

Chocolate is always the answer - now what was the question? :lol: A glass of wine might help. Start on a less conspicuous section of the quilt and relax. You can take it slowly at first. And remember, your mother and sister know that you are a beginner they won't be expecting competition standard from you. Whatever you do will still be better than keeping it rolled up unable to see the light of day. Go for it girl!

Comment

Hi Renata -

I'm still learning about how to look at a quilt and pick a quilting design that complements your work. I think your block is just beautiful!! If I were to make a quilt with just this block and no borders, I think I would first SID as suggested. I would probably also stitch around the flower as best I could to make it stand out, maybe with some stippling in the black background. This would be really nice with a wool batting that would make the flower puff out. Since I'm not a fan of invisible thread I would probably use black thread, but invisible thread would be completely appropriate here if you like working with it. For me it's hard because I can't see the lines I've quilted while I'm working so it ends up quite messy, although no one can see that. :lol: I would then think about some sort of curvy black line in the white ring. Maybe a string of pearls or a string of curly-Q's. I really love the white frame, but think some black lines in there would tone it down a bit and bring everything together. I'm sure others have some much better suggestions, but those are my first thoughts. And if you want to add a border, I would add that and then look at it some more before making decisions, just in case.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, you definitely gave me something to think about as well. The great part is that I can do it on paper first and see what happens to it. This could turn out to be fun after all!
                              Thanks!
                              Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                                The quilting part really scares me... I did a round robin with my mother and sisters last year (they wanted to celebrate my induction into the quilting world :lol: :lol: and my sisters and I wanted to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday by participating in a round robin with her--they are all quilters, I'm not... ). My quilt in the round robin is still rolled up waiting for me to quilt it and we are getting ready to celebrate an 81st birthday... (how embarassing, she asked me last week whether I had quilted it yet...) I've made lots of Leah Day sized practice quilts but can't make myself get on to the real thing... Is chocolate the answer?
                                Since I really want to continue this thread about the round robin but it is not a pineapple quilt, I've posted pictures of the quilt I fear quilting in the Forum section on machine and hand quilting. I hope you look at it and help me out :!:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X