[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

The Artist's Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandy is so organized, I'll follow her lead!
    Week 1 check-in.
    I did my Morning Pages every day...in longhand! Starting today, I'm going to try them on the computer, but will write as much text.
    I wrote out the answers to all of the tasks. I actually mailed a long thank-you letter to my first mentor last year, so I counted that for #7. My artist's walk was to Target to get some containers for organizing my stash. I felt so good about how my cabinet looked that I went back for more containers! I'm artistically stumped on a project that I need to make for a friend. I need to design it and that pushes me into a place where I'm not comfortable. (Folding fabric is easier for me!! LOL!!!) I'll be working on that this week in addition to TAW assignments.
    Good luck everyone!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Check-In--I did morning pages about four times last week. I discovered that I am my own negative influence. I had no trouble with a list of imaginary lives--I've done that since I was a little girl! I decided to redefine my artist's date as: anything that I do that is not routine, that leaves me feeling inspired, satisfied, fulfilled, and on a creative high. I know that we are supposed to be alone for artist's dates, and sometimes I will be, but this time I was with a friend. We went to a yard sale where a quilter was downsizing her stash and had a fun time. We took our treasures to my house and dumped the fabric on the table and exclaimed, sorted, combined, and just felt with our hands and feasted with our eyes. I think that I am meant to make scrap quilts. I love scraps! I bought a big, big bag of scraps. Last evening I read chapter 2. I am understanding this journey a little more than when I started. I'm excited to continue. Joyce

Comment

Completed week 1, did morning pages most the days. I have found that writing is very hard on my hands, I get cramps in my wrist and thumb. I enjoyed revisiting the hopes of my past, but I realize that I really like living in the present. I found out on the Fourth of July that my 28 year old niece is reading the Artist Way. She is an artist and sells her painted rocks and paintings at local shows. My artist date consisted of going to Michaels and buying fish stickers, embroidery floss, and looking at all the different craft materials people use to create with. I am looking forward to week 2.

Comment

I have decided on my Artist Date for the week. I am going to take a stroll the TQS Quilt Gallery. I check it everyday but when I respond to a blog or forum discussion I click on profiles and I see quilts I have never seen before that I know I would remember.

Comment

Judy, I had trouble with cramps, too! I found that using the PROFILE ball point pens by PAPERMATE seemed to help! They are touted as the world's smoothest pens and can be bought in packs of 8 wonderful colors to inspire the artist child! :wink:

Comment

Thanks Margo I will check those out, add them to my list. I really liked the Jane Sassaman show. She is stirring up my artist child that is for sure. I bought some fabric to make a quilt for my niece who is getting married 7-11-2009. This technique is perfect for her quilt, now I have to figure out a silhouette. The colors are easy.

Comment

Originally posted by dogquilter
                Thanks Margo I will check those out, add them to my list. I really liked the Jane Sassaman show. She is stirring up my artist child that is for sure. I bought some fabric to make a quilt for my niece who is getting married 7-11-2009. This technique is perfect for her quilt, now I have to figure out a silhouette. The colors are easy.
                I know what you mean about Jane's show. It got me all fired up to add some decorative stitching to some applique projects!! I never thought of using them like that! About time I put all those stitches to good use!

Comment

I belong to a yahoo group that is about art quilts and is somewhat like a forum. E mails back and forth about various topics. (I prefer this forum format by far. )

Lots of times there have been suggestions and discussions about being stuck without inspiration or being "in a funk" or afraid to try something. The past few days that topic has been back on people's mind. I have written down some great sayings or ideas so thought that I would share one or two a day (until I run out again) and how that thought impacts me. I hope this will help others and maybe be another way to nurture our artist child.

so here is my thought for today

DO IT AFRAID

so many times I think to myself, I am afraid I will waste the fabric, ruin the fabric, waste that pretty thread, it won't look good in the end etc etc etc. All signs I am afraid to try so just for today and hopefully for many days I vow I will DO IT AFRAID AND JUST DO IT.

Ann

Comment

Maybe The Artist Way is working. I have bookmarked some online sites for thought of the day and if one speaks to me I write it in my Food Diary. Today's was "Do what you can, when you can, the best you can". We can all do that.

I like yours Ann. I am guilty of being afraid to try new things.

Comment

I hope I'm not too late join you all. I've just ordered my book and it should be here in a day or two. After reading this thread for several days I just couldn't resist. I've been in a bit of a slump for awhile now and am hoping this will be just the boost I need.
                      Looking forward to 'catching up'.
                      Till I do....I'll be checking in here often.

Comment

Welcome, Linda! Glad to have you join us! And I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading your blogs on your web site!
                        Hope you see you posting more here, too!

Thanks Ann and Sandy for the words of wisdom. Along those lines, I like the one that says:

"Do the best you can do today. The practice will make you better for tomorrow."

Comment

This is working for me. I've got one of my own quilts on the machine. It's been hanging on the wall of my sewing room for over a year. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://designingquilts.blogspot.com/...uilt-this.html
                          It's from an Esterita Austin class that I took at the Hudson Valley Fiber Art Workshops at the Greenville 1889 Inn back in May 2007.
                          I'm entering it in my guild's show. I'll post a picture when it's done.
                          Eileen

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Eileen your quilt is beautiful and I can't wait to see how you ended up quilting it. It definitely calls for more than meandering. I am glad The Artist Way is working for you and I think it is working for me. I sat down last night with my spiral bound graph paper book and started sketching ideas for some quilted postcards I want to make for some special people for Christmas. I actually came up with one design I am going to use. It is working for me to.

The applause of a single human being is of great consequence - Samuel Johnson. Sometimes all it takes is one encouraging word for someone to change my whole day for the better.

Comment

Here's a quote for the day:
                              Passion is the genesis of genius-Anthony Robbins

Ain't it the truth?
                              eileenkny

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Margo. I will try to post more. I must fess up and admit to just lurking for awhile now. But this thread has inspired me.
                                I'm still waiting (impatiently) for the book to get here. It sounds like it is working for you gals and that's exciting.
                                I love your quilt Eileen. Can't wait to see how you will quilt it.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 153 users online. 0 members and 153 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X