[vb_main_1]

The Artist's Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eileenkny
    Well, I guess that glass of wine will have to wait. Wisconsin is a bit far for me.
    I'm having some trouble getting started on Week 3. Can someone light a fire under me? I've been so tired lately I don't want to do anything.
    Eileen
    Eileen, I've never done anything like this before, and don't know what the secrets of pushing through are, but I need to find a quiet place to read the text and think about it for a few days before I re-read the text and tackle the questions and the tasks. Have you read the text yet? Is there any part of it that seems to block you? Maybe you need to get out of your regular routine and take the book someplace new to concentrate on it for the first read-through. Even if it's just outside on the porch, or sitting alone in a library? This whole project seems to be a lot of work, which is especially hard to face when you feel so tired, but I'm hoping that if we stick with it and make the effort, one step at a time, there could be a big pay-off at the end of the journey. Let us know if you find something that works.
    BTW...on page 75 TAW tells us to "be kind to yourself". What have you done today to be kind to yourself?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Good advice Margo!
      For myself, I wasn't getting the chapter read before the week started for the first 2 weeks. So then when I got the reading done, there wasn't much time to do the tasks. So this week I read the whole chapter on Sunday- and have done a better job of doing some of the tasks. My morning pages are going well, but I fall down on the Artist dates. I didn't do one last week, so was going to attempt 2 this week. Today my plan was to spend time at Barnes & Noble(one of my favorite places!), but my daughter ended up joining me, so does it still count???
      Good luck Eileen-- we know you can do it!!
      Linda

Comment

Linda...there is no law (in Tennessee!) that says you can't go to B&N twice in one week!!! :wink:
        Try to do a solitary Artist's Date. It seems to be an important part of the program.

Comment

Then Tennesee sounds like a pretty good place I think!!!
          I do have a plan-- to go to LQS tomorrow and play with fabric!!

Comment

This fits with this weeks chapter. Jimmy's (who's office is next to me) hobby is photography. About a year ago he talked to me about combining his photography and my quilting. He was thinking photo quilts for family history and weddings. I told him it was not feasible unless it was done by machine and I quilt by hand. I brought him my Beth Wheeler book to look at today and you should have seen his eyes light up. He works with PhotoShop and recommended I check with community colleges because you not only learn the program but you can purchase the product at a greatly reduced price. He is very interested in the technique and I am interested in his photographs.

Comment

Eileen, this weeks chapter is on "Shame". It's hard for me to think of any shaming experiences. I haven't had a trigger yet. I have been thinking about the anger responsive topic. I never thought of anger as action. But its true. Anger's action needs to be used to create something positive. I not get angry often, but I just thought the topic was interesting. In looking at anger in another way it might help me to teach children how to work through their anger.

I just finished reading the chapter and now I am on to the criticism exercises.

Margo, I am going to work on finding a space of private solitude. I think I know exactly where, it's finding the time that I am alone, very rare.

I just realized that I did have artist date. Last Saturday I was home alone for 3 hours. I really wanted to finish a quilt that I had started. I spent my time on the computer researching family history. This is one of my favorite things to do and I hadn't looked at any of the information in a long time. This was personally rewarding time spent doing what I liked. Does this count?

Comment

Sandy what a great example of what can happen when our minds and hearts are open to new ideas and challenges.
                I haven't gotten much actual quilting done this week or last for that matter. (too many social events related to leaving Minneapolis for the summer and heading to Chicago via Iowa. And then a minor problem with the motorhome caused the need for a whole new arrangement of the fabric and art supplies I have with me and moving many of my clothes to different drawers. yuck such a boring and wasteful task although I found some hidden treasures) BUT I have done a whole bunch of designing of projects for the future. I have three skeletons for my Rhapsody that look very promising and have been trying to design the applique that I want. The Rhapsody will be one of my projects for Retreat in La Veta so I will have the Rhapsody Guru right at my side WHOO HOOOO maybe I will actually be able to accomplish it. Next is to watch the last show a couple of more times so that the inset square is firmly in my brain because it is the answer to a design dilemma I had on my newest convergence. Now if I can solve a couple of other little problems with it I should be able to get the top done in the next week. so I guess synchronisity is working for me too. Ann -enjoying the journey even when it is discouraging to examine yourself this closely

Comment

I think Family History research would count. I am trying to get back to my research but so many other things to do. I am going to my LQS this afternoon just to look.

Some things I found interesting in the chapter:
                  "Answered prayers are scary. They imply responsibility." - I am getting fit and trim and it is my responsibility to make sure it is a life style change....

"Ask and you shall receive. Knock and it shall be opened to you..." - I was asking for help when I blogged about my goal to lose weight and look at the help and support I received...

"The what must come before the how" - I had to know I wanted to lose weight and get more fit before i could determine how to accomplish it.

I liked remembering childhood foods, they were all things mom made: Homemade Ice Cream, Dollar Salad, Pecan Pie, Divinity, Blackberry Jelly (made from berries we picked)

Comment

I just got a response from an inquiry I did while re researching my genealogy information. This gentleman is going to write a book that is based on the life of some of me relatives. Maybe I will be able to aid in his research.

Comment

I'm enjoying seeing the posts on this thread! I think that everyone is making at least some headway toward more creativity.
                      I've shared before that I spend a LOT of time alone, and being around people is a stretch for me, but today was a great day, and I'll consider this my Artitst's Date for the week. I spent 6 hours with 4 other people learning how to digitize designs for the Pro-Stitcher of my new long-arm. I feel like my head is just packed with new information and a strong desire to learn more about the process. It's a great start!
                      I received a comment today from my blog about the HQ16 that "computerized designs are cheating". That could have thrown me into a "shame" mode, but after today I feel so creative that I'm not even going to respond to it. Maybe it was synchronicity that I got that message when I got home from the class and was able to let it roll off. I'm looking forward to learning what I can do with this new tool!

Comment

Darn it Darn it Darn it,I had my complete post written out then I deleted it By mistake.

I've had my share of this lately. I'm upset by it because it does cause hurt feelings,I can rise above it because I'm a better person.
                        Well yes I get upset and mad because I've been hurt,natural I don't like feeling hurt by anyones stupidity.
                        So I thought alittle therapy would help. Alittle Roll play......I'll put my shoe on the other foot and be these people for therapy from now on.

Embroidery is very Boring; yes it is I wouldn't try it if I was you,you would be bored out of your mind!LOL!

Isn't sewing Boring? Do you really want me to reply to that question.? Okay, I never get Bored but thanks for asking_How about you are you Bored??? LOL!

I just recieved a quilt and my only responce is; Its not big enough added with the tone and look of dis-appointment. Well here I'll make alittle adjustment_take it back_the end!LOL!

I think alittle therapy like this will help those scars heal up fast. Being the better person only keeps the scars hidden with allowing more to fester. "I will shock afew from thier socks from now on" believe me I will.

I will think of "Therapy" when needed at the time.

Kathy who shares her Love of quilting,and is very greatful for her Love of quilting.

Comment

Katzz, I am happy to see you found this thread. Your story struck a cord with me and what we are talking about this week. This has been an eye opening journey into our minds and souls. Strengthening our inner artist to be strong and creative.

Comment

Thank you, for allowing me to have my therapy,I needed this and I feel much better already. Thank you for all the great support.
                            Tommorrow I'll be bored out of my mind while I quilt my Dresden plate! LOL! ((Not!)) I think I can laugh along with people being unkind and use the reverse frame of mind letting it make them feel just as good.

Margo
                            Hey Margo,
                            I use the designs that I paid for too,isn't that just rad!
                            guess I cheated too because I used a quilting template that I paid for,its a beautiful design I just couldn't resist using it, I think youre gonna Love it! I added some wacky first feathers freehand drawling too. Go Margo,your design will be simply beautiful I just know it.
                            Okay,let me have at them! LOL! :?

Comment

I am always careful when I tell people that I am a quilter. My friends are not quilters and they know that I am and they are very supportive. But when I meet people, or for example, when I had a girls week-end with some high-school friends that I hadn't seen in 10 years...I hesitated telling them about my passion. It is hard when you don't have a kindred spirit that is in the neighborhood or in your family. My immediate family(DH, DD and DS) are very supportative. I don't go to my guild meetings because they meet at night and I truly want to be home with my DH at night. Maybe I need to try harder to go to guild meetings.
                              Elizabeth

Comment

Okay, I have to admit with all honesty I don't like being that type of person who has to feel hurt and to reach for the same level of non kindred spirits, Which I have.
                                So How do I search my soul/heart for peace and serenity to let go of these scars that hurt and for others that may come my way this is my big struggle,should I; be the better person, don't speak about it, let it go in one ear out the other. See thats part of why I'm confused. I was always taught maybe therapy is good but I know my therapy would make me feel even worse. ops: It is really a heart ache at times, very hurtful. ((Gotta put a smile on my face and just let them roll off)). Let them feel good about them selves I only have to Live with me.
                                I'm so :? really.
                                Kathy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X