[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

The Artist's Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Linda, this has been a great adventure.

Eileen, your doorway quilt is stunning. I love love it. There was a show on Simply quilts where the quilter created quilts similar. I can't remember who she was. I know you've had quilters block I am so happy that you have your own creation on the frame.

I think this is beginning to work way to well for me. I have so many projects already, but I love to start new ones. On my artist day I went to my LQS. I found some delicious flannels in the same colors as the turtle quilt for my first Grandbaby, due in October. I found the pattern in the first place I looked and I have since downloaded machine embroider designs. I have embroidered 5 designs onto the flannel......I am on a roll.

The morning pages help me clear my mind of clutter and set forth an intention for the day. I have really meet my intentions. Creativity is a bonus to the organization I am slowly accomplishing around this house. I use minutes here and there to meet my daily goals on top of all the daily things I already need to do. This is only week 2.......what do we all have in store for us by week 12?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
      Judy, I had trouble with cramps, too! I found that using the PROFILE ball point pens by PAPERMATE seemed to help! They are touted as the world's smoothest pens and can be bought in packs of 8 wonderful colors to inspire the artist child! :wink:
      Margo another fantastic suggestion from you.....the pen works wonderful.

Comment

Eileen, the quilt is WONDERFUL! Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it, and I'm glad you decided to get it mounted in the frame!

Judy, I think the show you are thinking about was with Katie Pasquini. Her books are awesome and inspirational.
        Glad the pens helped! I'm pleased with them too, but must confess that I've done my morning pages on the computer this week and found that it works better for me this way! Like Sandy said, it's hard not to go back and correct mistakes, but I've found that if I type with my eyes closed, it's more like the frantic long-hand that I did last week. The only thing is that if my fingers miss the "home keys" when I start, it's impossible to read!!! LOL!!!

I've actually had two Artist's Dates this week!!! I am such a solitary soul that it's a stretch for me to spend time with other people. (TQS is a whole different thing, though!!) I spent some time two days this week with some quilty friends and it really helped to get me fired up to do some things that I've let slide. I'm finding that the AW tasks of making lists are helping me to actually SEE things that I want and/or need to do, whether it's quilt related or just dealing with life.

This week's text about dealing with the CRAZYMAKER in your life is relevant to me, and it was nice to know that it's OK to not get sucked into that quagmire!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I bought the book today and I will try to catch up! I am a very private person, enjoy talking about anything but my "self", so I expect this to be an eye-opening experience! Sorry about being a late starter,
          Elizabeth

Comment

Glad to have you join us, Elizabeth!

Comment

Eileen, that quilt top is stunning!

Comment

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I Am Not I by Emily Hanlon

There is a very particular risk inherent in the creative process: when you take the journey inward, you discover that you are not who you think you are, or you are more than who you think you are. But sometimes these images reflected through the inner mirrors are so alien to our ego that they cause us to run. The trick is not to run, but to persevere. The image will shift, the fear will dissolve and the stranger seen through the creative mirror will become familiar and quite wonderful. These unknown parts of us will guide us through unseen doors, into unexpected landscapes.

Eileen

Comment

ou, ou, ou.... Eileen....that reminds me....wait a minute!!!

I found it!!....

I used to have this posted in my "studio", and I guess I really need to tack it back up! It is a quote from Nelson Mandela, from his 1994 inaugural speech.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
                  We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
                  Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
                  We were born to manifest the glory of God within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Comment

Margo that is definitely a powerful quote. I'm going to have to copy that too.I read it to my daughter and we both were thinking "How do people think of stuff like that" . It is so true and what an awesome message. Thanks so much for finding it.Karen
                    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

That says everything Margo. In very simple terms it reminded me of a song I sung as a child. It only it was easy to do now as it was then.

This little light of mine,
                      I'm gonna let it shine
                      I'm gonna let it shine
                      I'm gonna let it shine
                      Let it shine,
                      Let it shine,
                      Let it shine.

Comment

I could not remember the name of the pen Margo recommended so instead I purchased a new Papermate Mega*Lead pencil and I love love love it. I got the 0.7mm. I will get the pen next time.

Comment

I found this week that my biggest crazymaker in my life is ME!! I'm surrounded by supportive people so the only one holding me back is ME!! ops:

20 things I like to do:
                          read
                          sleep
                          watch TV
                          laugh at good jokes
                          cuddle with DH
                          hold a newborn baby
                          read quilting magazines
                          make quilts
                          learn new techniques
                          cook
                          eat new foods
                          walk on the beach
                          Disneyworld
                          travel
                          spend time with friends
                          see a good movie
                          watch airplanes take off
                          stretch
                          sing with the radio or CDs
                          listen to a great choir

10 tiny changes:
                          I would like to finish what I start
                          I would like to go to Ireland
                          I would like to paint my house
                          I would like to sleep a good night's sleep
                          I would like to see a Broadway show
                          I would like to sit and read
                          I would like to fly
                          I would like to walk in a nature preserve or national park until I fall down
                          I would like to lay down and just look at clouds during the day and stars at night
                          I would like to be happy

That's a few of the tasks,etc for this past week.
                          Anyone else care to contribute?
                          Are we on for starting week 3, or does anyone need time to take care of 2?

Eileen

Forgot to add: Morning Pages 6/7, Artist date was the Great American weekend fair in Goshen, NY. Lots of different crafts and vendors!!

Comment

I've finished quilting the Stone Portal quilt and it's over in my blogs if anyone wants to see it.
                            I think it came out pretty well, considering I was so afraid I'd ruin it.
                            I would have posted pics here but I don't know how.
                            Eileen

Comment

I make a motion that we stay on schedule. I'm starting week 3. For week two I did Morning Pages every day, did a couple of Artist's Dates and filled out all the task questions. I think it's part of the commitment to do all of the exercises in the alloted 12 weeks, so that's what I'm going to try to do. I also attended a trunk show at a local quilt shop and got all fired up about working on UFOs and starting some new projects!

Comment

I think I can catch up(obviously I won't have as many morning papers as the rest of you). One of my favorite things is going to art museums. We have a wonderful one in OKC, so instead of waiting for someone to go with me, I signed up for a membership and will definitely have some wonderful artist dates in my future. In fact I am going to enroll in two of the fiber arts classes in August.(I haven't ever taken a quilt class!)
                                Elizabeth

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X