[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

The Artist's Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if I can count this as my "Artist's Date", but I went to the brand new Target store in town this morning (by myself) and splurged on some storage containers for my stash cabinet. Recently someone on TQS posted something about buying CD storage boxes to use for fat quarters, but they were the wrong size for my cabinets. However I was able to find some other storage boxes that are the PERFECT SIZE AND SHAPE, and will post some pictures on my Webshots album when I get stuff refolded and sorted. I've been good about doing the Morning Pages, but gotta tell you that I am NOT enjoying it! Writing longhand just seems archaic to me! OK...I'll quit whining now. I'm gonna go fold fat quarters!!
    That's creative, right?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Go for it , Margo!! If it made your inner artist child feel better, then I'd count it.

Today is check-in day for Week 1. I'll start.
      Did the morning pages 6 out of 7, found out a few things about me that I had been keeping way hidden.
      My artist's date was last Sunday. I wasn't alone, I was with my quilting circle. But it got some juices going nonetheless.
      I didn't do any of the tasks. Bad me. I'm going to try to double up for week 2. We did say we were going to be a little more casual about this, right? ops:
      So, how did everyone else do?
      Eileen

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Thanks for starting us off, Eileen! I also want to check in.

Although I have already been journaling (most) mornings for the past several years, I thought this would be great for me because someone (or maybe the book?) said something about just writing anything that comes to mind - you can even write nonsense!

The idea of me writing just for the sake of writing, is not unlike me running a marathon! My inner critic likes things done right, or gosh darn it, don't bother doing it at all!

So I've been writing - three notebook size pages is a lot! But l learn so much when I write, it's worth the time.

My husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, so he got to come along on my artist's date. We went to Napa, Ca (no fires, no smoke!) and for dinner we sat on the garden terrace of a beautiful restaurant, just gazing out over their gardens and vineyards (the restaurant is on 40 acres). The sun was slowly setting on the hills behind the vineyards - it was breath taking! I was definitely inspired!

The next day I found the cutest (!!!!) quilt shop and had so much fun! I met a lovely lady who was also shopping and we talked and talked and talked! Quilters are the nicest people!

I just finished my first journal quilt (I'm doing these to learn how to hand qpplique, hand quilt, put my thoughts on fabric, etc) and I'm starting my second. I'm trying to let go of perfectionism and not worry what I come up with. The first one is riddled with mistakes, but I decided that "it is, what it is" and just left them, in hopes that I'll learn from them.

I absolutely love reading y'alls posts! Have a great week!

Jody :roll:

Comment

Last Saturday I posted about an experience with a classmate who after 45 yrs. had called out of the blue and set me into a blue funk (pun intended) First I tried the techniques in the book - time travel write down your feelings etc. When those didn't help much I posted here and thought maybe I could blame the whole thing on my chronic anemia. Well my blood count is a little low but not enough to be problematic so I have nothing to blame but ME!!!!! Dang I hate it when that happens. So I got a little off track but did do some morning pages 6 out of the 7 days (not always three pages but at least some and did some sketching and designing too) I have been trying to have a quote for the day and some of you gave me some good ones. Didn't do my own blurts but sure recognized myself in Sandy's (thanks for being brave and sharing those, Sandy). I did an artists date at the local fabric and craft store where I treated myself to two new feet for my machine (now I am equiped to try piped bindings) and bought some fabric for the printer. that was on sale so was able to buy twice as much as I normally would have and then I splurged on a Quilt Art magazine. I love them but don't always find them or think I shouldn''t spent the money. So today I am working on my BOM's and hope to get them at least fused today and then on to some other projects. Here's hoping that I have conquered the blue funk and can now spend some time sewing instead of glued to the computer. Thanks to all of you who sent me messages or posted here. You are such a great support group in so many ways and I would be lost without you. Hugs, Ann

Comment

Hi Ladies,

Some of you may have noticed I have been noticeably absent from the TQS forum. I had every intention of starting The Artist Way with all of you but things have been moving and shaking on my end. My partner was offered a transfer back to San Francisco and we decided to take it. So I am going home after being away from the West Coast for a little over 8 years!!! Needless to say I have been VERY excited. I just hope I can sell the house quickly as I will be staying in Memphis until we can sell it or at the very least rent it.

I have been busying packing, getting the house ready to sell and trying to tie up any loose ends. I just wanted you all to know I havent forgotten about you I just have a really full plate right now. I will try to drop in from time to time and offer encouragement .

Drew

Comment

Drew, good luck on your new adventure. I am just sorry we didn't get to meet when I was in Memphis. Now with your move I guess we will have to remain cyberspace friends.

Now to the food for thought. The magazine that comes in our Sunday paper had this information/thought provocking thoughts as quoted from Laird Hamilton a noted surfboarder (so the article says How would this old grandma who has never surfed on the water that is know?)

Ten Things I learned from surfing (the paranthetical remarks are mine and what struck me that fit with the Artist's Way)

1. Know that you are a speck on the water (humility and willingness to learn from others)

2. Go Big or Go Home (committment, audacity to create)

3. Listen to your gut (awaken your spirit, know that you 'know" what you need and want)

4. Understand you are not in control (Let go and Let God or understand that there is a purpose and to be creative is to find that purpose)

5. Get Wet (try it use Ricky's question "what if")

6. Put things in Perspective (a mistake today is tomorrows opportunity to learn and grow -)

7. Keep Learning

8. Be Determined

9. Don't get stale

10. Don't Judge

We ARE ALL EQUAL BEFORE A WAVE

Hope you enjoy these as much as I did. They went in my quote list for my quote of the day that I am trying to use as a kick start to my morning pages.

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by DrewField
                Hi Ladies,

Some of you may have noticed I have been noticeably absent from the TQS forum. I had every intention of starting The Artist Way with all of you but things have been moving and shaking on my end. My partner was offered a transfer back to San Francisco and we decided to take it. So I am going home after being away from the West Coast for a little over 8 years!!! Needless to say I have been VERY excited. I just hope I can sell the house quickly as I will be staying in Memphis until we can sell it or at the very least rent it.

I have been busying packing, getting the house ready to sell and trying to tie up any loose ends. I just wanted you all to know I havent forgotten about you I just have a really full plate right now. I will try to drop in from time to time and offer encouragement .

Drew
                Good luck with the big move, Drew! Please keep us posted and know that we are still here whenever you can get back!
                SEW LONG!

Comment

WOW! Ann, that is great! Would it be too much imposition for you to post some of your daily quotes for us here??? And anyone else who has inspirational quotes.....I can use all the help I can get!
                  Thanks!

I'm still not enjoying the Morning Pages, but keep plugging away. Is anyone doing them on the computer instead of by longhand? The book was written in 1992, and I don't think that computers were as common then, but maybe this concession to the 21st century would be acceptable as long as we write the same volume of text????

Comment

Hi Margo,

Julia Cameron addressed that issue in one of her other books. She said that she thought it was fine, just not for HER. She feels that writing things out long-hand slowed us down and makes us think more about what we are writing. I, personally, have mixed feelings. When I do morning pages (which is very sporadic at the moment) I do long-hand because I use a computer all day long at work and long-hand (to me) is more expressive. I think it just what your most comfortable with.

Drew

Comment

Thanks, Drew! I do think I'll switch to the computer this week. I had to laugh at one of the "tasks" for this week. Task #10 was to "take your artist for a walk". Because I'm now walking 2-4 miles every day, the one time 20 minute consciousness raising effort she recommends was no big deal for me. My morning walks are also about consciousness-streaming, so my morning pages are somewhat redundant at this point.

Comment

Longhand to me is an art form in and of itself, so trying to write neatly and like the sisters taught me is like drawing.
                        Margo, I think whatever gets your spirit moving is fine. Maybe the MPs will be easier for you that way.
                        Eileen

Comment

Drew,
                          How great that you get to go home!! Who's choosing the new place while you're selling your Memphis house?
                          Check in when you can, we'll be here
                          Eileen

Comment

My saturday check in ( a little late because I had no computer yesterday) I did my morning pages and really think it helps- seems to calm my busy mind. my artist date was a walk in the woods by myself (without my ipod) and for enjoyment rather than for exercise.
                            I am enoying this and glad to do it with all of you. I feel like I learn from the book, and then more when I come here!
                            Here's to a good second week!
                            Linda

Comment

OK- my check in, I was inconsistent with my morning pages (didn't miss one the week before we started :roll: ). I went to the art museums "Beyond Blown Glass" exhibition for my artists date (It was wonderful- I spent hours there). I had some trouble coming up with negative people from my past- mostly me ops: .

I will be taking my computer in tomorrow because it is acting up and they say it may be 3 weeks before they get to it. I think it will be telling how much time I actually spend on this thing. But I may not post the next couple of check ins.

Lisa

Comment

Week 1 Check In - I did not do my morning pages every day but I found myself thinking of things to include in them. I am going to try doing them on the computer this week. I did most of the task but I did not take my artist for a walk. Walking on the treadmill doesn't count. I came up with more champions than horror stories which I thought was a good thing but I had a hard time with imaginary lives.

I type my morning pages this morning. While I think I will do them on a more regular basis if I type them I can't not correct them. If I misspell a work I have it corrected before I realize it.

As part of my Daily Food Diary I am going to include a check list - morning pages; artist date; tasks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X