[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Show and Tell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found the same problem. The center of my quilt is about 1/2 inch larger. I have been trying to figure out how to fix it. The problem is in th center block.

Comment

Originally posted by "ButterflyBev" post=142587
      I have found the same problem. The center of my quilt is about 1/2 inch larger. I have been trying to figure out how to fix it. The problem is in th center block.
      Bev

So sorry, but glad I’m not alone! Hope Barbara, or anyone can help, otherwise it will be a good winter project. Janet

Comment

Jan, if I understand you correctly: you are comparing the size of the center of your quilt that is shown in your most recent photo, to the size of the straight flying geese borders that come next. You said the center is 1/2" larger than those borders.
        I know several people had that problem and simply added one more "goose" to the borders. That adds 1.5" of length to the side borders and 1.5" of width to the top and bottom borders. That should mean your floaters would need to be .5" finished so you would cut the floaters 1".
        If this isn't what you were asking, just reply with your actual measurements and we'll figure it all out.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Barbara, guess I was not clear. I have not started the flying geese yet. The pinwheel borders measure 63 1/2 and when I measure through the center of the quilt it measures 64 inches. The quilt does not lay flat.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

I sure like the colors you choose for the quilt.

Comment

Jan, it looks like the four pinwheel borders are sewn in place and this is the center of your quilt, ready for you to make the straight flying geese borders which come next.

If that is correct, is your concern that the middle part of the quilt is a little wavy? That waviness looks minor in the photo and will "quilt out", especially if you use a wool batt or a wool/cotton blend. Your measurement of 63.5" for the top and bottom pinwheel borders is spot on so you are good going forward. If your concern is that the top and bottom edges measure 63.5" and the middle measures 64", check the seam allowances all the way down to see if it varies. You would be looking to see if the middle area seam allowances are narrower and snug them up. Most of us have trouble staying 100% even with the 1/4" seam allowance, especially as these seams get longer.

The only way to make this perfect is to take it all apart and re-do it all, measuring everything as you go, as you mentioned a few days ago--NO, I wouldn't do that. Part of the beauty of this particular pattern/style of quilt is that it teaches us the tricks it takes to make a perfect quilt, measuring is very important every step of the way. But since "finished is better than perfect", I say, just keep going. As you make the flying geese border, check each unit for size as you sew them together.

I hope this helps.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Barbara, I was hoping you would say the quilting would take up some of the problem!
                I will check those seams.

Thanks for all your help, I have loved all your tips with this quilt. Hope you had a great time in Houston.
                I will continue now and try not to compound the problem.

Thanks to all who complimented the quilt, lovely to hear. I do love seeing everyone’s quilt!

Janet

Comment

DONE!!! This is my first BOM and it certainly was a skill builder. I enjoyed the entire process while watching as others posted their progress. Barbara was very helpful when I contacted her in the very early stages, thank you. I'm happy to be sending it out for quilting, it is too big for me to do on my machine.

Comment

WOW! love your colours.
                    Anne

Comment

Beautiful colors. Still working on mine.

Comment

Sguenther, beautiful job! Glad you enjoyed and learned from this quilt.

I will continue to provide support and a monthly blog post of tips and tricks for the 2018 BOM. Mine will have a few alterations, now to figure those out.

We will be eager to see your quilt when it's quilted.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Oh Squenter! Your finished top is wonderful. Congratulations on finishing. Mine is at the flying geese round. I have swapped out the geese for another design and probably will be doing the same for the delectable mountains round.
                          So...what are you considering for the quilting? I, too, send quilts out to be long-armed when they are big. However, I have only selected all over computer driven designs, due to the cost of hand done designs. I can't imagine this quilt with an all over design. Are you going to have it customized?
                          Holly

Comment

Very nice and great you are completed.

Comment

So here I am so far with Halo. I have chosen not to do the pinwheels and opted for the string of pearls. I know someone on this site showed their's and I loved it. So I am sewing those up this weekend. Happy with the results so far.

Sharon, in Warm Today, Colorado

Comment

what was the size( width) of your last floater? That is all I need to finish my Halo quilt.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 61 users online. 0 members and 61 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X