[vb_main_1]

Half-Size Measurements

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=126360
    Yikes I thought 9"was a big block until I started this!
    I had to laugh, Wendy, because I thought the same as you as I was doing all this teeny tiny needle turn applique' (my first stab at needle turn to boot!).

Comment

:lol: Have you cheated yet

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=126370
        :lol: Have you cheated yet
        Have been tempted, Wendy, but after I got the awning under the roof on by needle turn applique (not perfect but looks okay), I decided to stick with it! Need to add the door nob and then will post a photo. Still have to do the nine-patch border though... was agonizing over the colors. :lol:

Comment

Yeh and me but decided not to plan ahead and just use colours that look right at the time. I used ric rac for under the roof and have put the roof on with the pressing bar and hand applique. Got lots to do yet.

I've just watched Lynette Anderson's show and she's expecting us to put our own personal touches and said she can't wait to see what we come up with. Sounds like we can interpret it without offending her. I was a bit uncomfortable changing to a completely different colourway but she's given us permission. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

and used a straw needle for applique. It's now nicely curved :whistle:

Comment

Denise - really nice! I'm lurking over in in half-size measurements, because I can still get neat ideas from you all.

Marilyn, do you mean you got a catalog?

Comment

Yes,Terrie..I get a catalog from Connecting Threads. But I shop on line mostly..... :huh:

Comment

NINE-PATCH blocks

Each little square will be 1/2" finished. Instead of making individual nine-patch blocks, I decided to paper-piece in long strips each "blocks", considering, for example, that the right-hand side border block at the bottom would be a 9 x 3 squares (the 3 nine-patch together).

I cut graph paper to the required lenght -in this case 9 x 1/2"+ seam allowance at both end = 5"long, and for the width, I could have cut 1/2 inch, but I find this to be less stable so I added 1/8 on each side.

I cut the "squares" (which in regular piecing would have been 1" x 1") actually 1-1/4 wide x 1" long, just to make sure that I have enough on each side (more than the 1/4 inch)when I paper-piece.

I marked the graph paper on the seam line. I also numbered my strips.

I placed my squares around the center block in a "controlled ramdomness" :woohoo: and placed my paper strips alternating the beginning piece - this will ensure that the seam allowance "nest".

Then I paper-pieced.

Once pieced, I make a "clean cut" to 1" wide .

I still need to sew the 3 strips together, but you can see where I'm going...

Comment

That is brilliant, Andrée, and I can't thank you enough for posting this. I was trying to figure out how to paper piece this but did not think of separating out the strips like that. I really wanted to pick where my color squares would go and your method will work for me perfectly. Now I can go play with my fabric! :kiss: :cheer:

PS Your fabric colors for these squares are fantabulous!

Comment

You could also use that method that is used for miniatures (I don't remember who demonstrated it in the shows). You draw the grid on a fusible interfacing where each square is the unfinished size. Fuse the fabrics in the grid. Sew the vertical seams. Clip the intersections. Sew the horizontal seams. I haven't tried this, but it's something I'll try someday.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Andrée. I just bought some of that fusible with the grids on it so I might give that a try. :cheer:

Comment

That's brilliant Andree I was imagining something far more complicated.

I started drawing the strips then thought of getting all the bits of paper out. I'm carrying on with the 2 square method and have done one set of 8 in 2 colours will do another 8 in 2 other colours then the last 5 blocks I'll do as a mix of them. May work, if not I'll be foundation piecing

The fusible interfacing should work great. I've seen it demonstrated before.

Comment

Nancy, I'm not sure it's the same method you are talking about, but I posted about a similar method a while back and even tried it with the miniatures (see https://thequiltshow.com/forum/bom-2015-my-country-house/7371-nine-patch-blocks-for-month-one#125726). Now that I think of it, Rita mentioned a show by Terrie Sandelin and miniatures where a similar technique is used). I must say, the technique I used works beautifully, quickly and my nine patches came out perfectly sized too. It was a totally painless method. The downside is that the fusible is a real pain to pull out and I even had my stitches 1.8 length. The fusible was easy to detach, it was getting in between the seams to remove them that was the pain. An alternative might be to use Ricky Tims Stable Stuff or even the C&T Applique' Paper that is fusible, but you'd still have to wet it to make it less stiff and visible--I'm hoping not to have to wet my half-size quilt with 1" blocks. Leaving the fusible in, for me, is not an option, because the nine-patches end up way too stiff.

I want to try Andrée's method and I have a sneaking suspicion hers will work as well but will be easier to get the paper out of than the method above.

Comment

Originally posted by "rehak" post=126477
                            You could also use that method that is used for miniatures (I don't remember who demonstrated it in the shows). You draw the grid on a fusible interfacing where each square is the unfinished size. Fuse the fabrics in the grid. Sew the vertical seams. Clip the intersections. Sew the horizontal seams. I haven't tried this, but it's something I'll try someday.
                            Pretty certain that you will find that it was demonstrated by Paula Doyle, Don't remember the show number though. And the fusible is left in.

Comment

Ok...So in case you all thought I was loafin' around....Here's a picture of the start...

After a lot of thought I decided this will be MY country home. This is just fused and needs
                              stitching and lots of embroidery before it is done ! If the design looks familiar to someone
                              out there...it is taken from an old Piecemakers calendar, downsized and redrawn...much loved
                              but certainly not exactly original. Those critters will have antlers...

Comment

So, I guess we can say that Marilyn has 'cheated' - no chocolate for you, dear, just fruitfor today only!)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 65 users online. 0 members and 65 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X