X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Nancy - I've enjoyed so far!
    Barb :-)

Comment

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=129870
      It's from a photo I took on a womble last weekend. Derbyshire stile.

Thanks Lorna, when I put stile and USA in google it came up with anything but bits of wood nailed together.
      Well I didn't say it looked like that one and not all stiles here in the UK like that one. The one at my grandma's was more the kind that was a ladder up and over the fence. near me in Suffolk there is the "9 stiles walk" and they are (were, as most are missing) iron ladders up and over the fence.

Here are a few types of stiles we came across when we walked Hadrian's wall last here. I know the kissing gate isn't a stile, but I like them so have a picture of it.

Comment

Great examples Lorna you even have mine. Aren't they fun. We cross loads out walking here and I always climb them even when they are standing alone in a field with the fence long gone!

What a happy house Barb it's great, so colourful :cheer:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Great photos of stiles Lorna. We have them here too but never thought to take a photo, must do that sometime. Wendy I love your stile and the doggie (how did you do him, was he already on a fabric?) and the cockerel, or is it a hen? Barb, your house is looking very bright and cheerful and I love your windows.

Comment

Thank you Lorna for the pictures of the stiles. I have never seen a stile in my life.
            Barb, I like your red house. Looking forward to see what you do next.

Comment

Great photos, Lorna. I love our tangents! Barb, nice work. I think the windows are fine ones!

Comment

Love the photos, Lorna. Thanks for sharing! I wasn't sure what a stile was until this discussion, but I guess I used to have one at my house. The previous owner had a set of steps next to the old fence so he could visit his girlfriend down the side road. I'm not sure why his wife didn't take it down, but maybe it was put in after the divorce.....

Comment

Now we have stories to go with the stiles. hmy: This is great!

Comment

She probably put it there Nancy to get rid of him.

Rita I did doggy by tracing elements from a photo on the internet - body, front leg, ears and face then chose areas of a batik that worked. I've pencilled eye and nose on, shall have to make it more permanent. He's raw edge appliqué. Cockerel and hen I drew freehand and did same as dog.

What's an Irish stile like Rita, they seem to be like stone walls and built differently depending where you are.

Comment

Great looking house Barb.

Lorna, you've got one more style of stile to find for your collection. Actually it is more akin to the kissing gate, although it is found in stone walls. There is a V shaped gap in the wall, with two upright posts that are hinged at the base and the top of them is fastened to a spring. You have to pull the two posts apart to get through the gap and then they spring closed after you have passed. There is one in Mells, Somerset between the churchyard and the adjoining field, to stop the sheep from getting into the churchyard.

Comment

And squeeze stiles.

Comment

I don't think I have come across that kind of style.

Comment

Thanks Lorna, Wendy, Rita, Judith, Lois and Rosemary re the house block I've enjoyed working on even repeating the windows! I'd considered something Christmas themed but not sure now.

We watch 'The Adventures of Piggley Winks', an animated kids program on PBS set on an Irish farm a few years ago with our grandkids. The fields/farm yards were enclosed with low stone walls, I sort of remember an episode with the sheep pondering how to get over the wall.

Comment

You cant get through this one after a big meal :lol:

Comment

Tight squeeze!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 68 users online. 0 members and 68 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X