[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Okay, Count me in!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so taken with Gyleen's show that I immediately ordered the book and ruler and have embarked on two companion twin-size pineapple quilts using up scraps of Asian-themed fabrics. I will need 108 blocks for both quilts and have only made 24 so it's going to be a long slog. One down note about scrappy quilts in general - I must have way too many scraps because MY SCRAP PILES DON'T SEEM TO BE GETTING ANY SMALLER. Now I just have smaller scraps to save. Did I just hear someone whisper the dreaded word "hoarder"? I guess when it comes to scraps, I guess I have to fess up. It's hard for me to throw anything bigger than a couple of thread away. I never know when I'm going to need a small piece of that one fabric...

Comment

I am having trouble posting my picture of my blocks. Can you help?

Comment

Originally posted by lorene
        I am having trouble posting my picture of my blocks. Can you help?
        Lorene, check here for tips about using the TQS forum, including posting photos: http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...-the-tqs-forum

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Here are my pineapple blocks all made from the scrap heap under my cutting table.

Comment

Thank you Margo.

Comment

Lorene, it's amazing what delight scraps and pineapples produce--very nice! Glad you were able to get it posted.
              Renata

Comment

Your blocks look great Lorene!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Lorene, your blocks are so lovely. I really like the red centres. Rita.

Comment

Lorene..how brite and pretty !! I understand those piles under the cutting bench ! :roll:

Comment

Thanks for the photoes, it will keep me going until my book arrives. Havnt got into the sewing room yet. I keep putting it off. May be tonight after tea. So keep the photoes comming please.
                      yours toni, happy quilting

Comment

Those are great, Lorene! You guys are getting me so excited about making pineapple blocks that I might have to join you, although I'm really trying to resist. I have so much on my plate right now that this would be the wrong thing to do, but that doesn't mean I won't do it! I will continue to try to resist...

Nancy

Comment

But Nancy, the thing is, don't you have loads of scraps lying around either in bins or bags or baskets after each quilt you make? What I do is put my scraps into ziplock bags with a label on the front e.g. 2 1/2" strips, triangles, HSTs, squares, etc., so the scraps are just lying there waiting to be used. It's amazing how quickly these bags have become filled up. When I am between projects or if I am frustrated by one that I am in the middle of I go to the scraps bags and make a pineapple. The great thing about these is that when a block is finished it will fit perfectly into a big ziplock bag and there it will stay until I can add more to it. I am not in any hurry to make a large quilt I am just having fun using up the scraps. My only definite decision is that I am going to make all the centre's the same colour. And even that's easy because you could just use a jelly roll strip or an extra length of binding.
                          This should be a guilt free exercise because we are actually doing something constructive with all those left-overs (and boy do we all have a lot of left-overs!).

Robin, we are all hoarders of fabric and scraps. My rule of thumb is that if it's not big enough for me to make an applique flower or leaf out of it's too small to stay so it goes in the bin. So I end up with two bins side by side - one for the real waste and one for the maybe waste. The real waste then goes into a basket I have put aside specially for things that are just too small to use again but they can still be sent off to fabric recycling so there is really no waste at all.

Happy pineappling! Rita.

Comment

Rita that is a great idea! I decided to do the pineapple blocks so just continued on. If I do one or two at a time, I can fill that ziploc and put them together later.

Comment

this is part of what i've been doing on the go since saturday

as i spent a few days in the mountains visiting friends, i had time on the trains, time sitting on the sofa chatting while the weather happened outside, and we've even discovered, that the finished quilt will go perfectly in my friends' living room once its done.
                              although they live in a chalet, they have a very modern bright red sofa & chair set and as most of their other stuff is black - this will be perfect.
                              i now want to get photos of all their dogs and cats together and print them on fabric to include in the quilt
                              hope to get it done by christmas - as it's an "on-the-go" and therefore everything done by hand job - it will probably take me that long
                              but will certainly keep me busy while i'm out and about this year :P

Comment

Lotti -

I really love what you did with the swirls! What a great idea!!

My current "make a few blocks here and there" quilt is a Judy Martin log cabin quilt. I'll have to wait until I finish the blocks for that one before jumping into pineapple blocks. But when I do, I might borrow your swirl idea, if you don't mind.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 51 users online. 0 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X