[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SHOW AND TELL--Your Blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the finished quilt photo, it doesn’t seem to make much difference what direction the four-patches are oriented, however, I looked closely at Sue’s quilt, and like the way she oriented all of hers to sort of cross the shoo-fly. I haven’t started on mine yet, but hope to have all nine done this month!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Your browns and whites, Jill, truly "sing!" Don't stray, I can "see" a beautiful quilt coming, could not take my eyes off the blocks, just perfect!

Comment

Jill, your browns and whites truly "sing!" Don't stray, I can "see" a beautiful quilt coming, could not take my eyes off the blocks, just perfect!

Comment

Margo, that question came up in my class today--one person took hers apart because she thought they were "wrong". Whether the four patches are oriented horizontally or vertically won't be all that important when the quilt is finished. Rule followers can make them look just like the pattern, those less concerned about following the pattern precisely can place them either direction.

I have some of each in my quilt--I didn't make all the blocks myself but with the red, white and blue, I am making now, I will also let them "vary". I will address this and detailed pressing info in the February 1 blog post.

Whatever floats your boat!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

WONDERFUL to see you. Renata!

Comment

That’s what I thought. Obviously it is the 9-patches that carry the eye across the quilt. These cute little 4 patches can go wherever they want to go!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Great to see you too, Beverly!

Comment

I'm liking the shoo fly blocks. I had fun today.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Block 1 of the applique blocks is kicking my butt, and it probably didn't help that my son put on the movie about the 2 Popes, with all the subtitles while I was working on it. I want them all done before I go back to school on Monday. I'll probably get the rest of the shoofly blocks done soon too. I've got all the little 4 patches done, but am choosing whimsical fabrics for the center block so that's taking some time. I haven't done machine turned applique before, but wanted to give it a try. I started with Block 4 and worked my way backwards, so only Block 1 to do. I used a lot of glue and spent a lot of time trimming and positioning. I used transparent thread and a narrow zigzag stitch on the applique. I really like the way they look.

Comment

Well said Margo. I am also re learning how to find my way around the forums

Comment

Nice job, Ellen. Fun fabrics too.

I recommend doing the Applique blocks in reverse order, 4 is easier than 1, in my opinion.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                            North Alabama, USA
                            "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Ellen, I love your idea of putting a fussy cut whimsical image in the center of the shoo fly blocks. Just plain FUN. I like that your dot white background fabric is in all
                              the blocks. Partly scrappy, partly planned. Great job! Did you use a wash away stabilizer in your turned edge appliqué, and did you wash your blocks? I did on the
                              two I did and they no longer have that neat just finished look. Going to try some best press and use Barbara's idea to put them face down on a wash cloth
                              when pressing. HelenW

Comment

Barbara, thanks for sharing that I should do the blocks 1-4 in reverse order
                                Helen, I too have worried about washing out and getting it to look nice afterwards. I would like to hear more discussion on this.
                                I have not started yet. I still need to find a couple background fabrics that I like. I appreciate hearing and seeing what others are doing as I formulate what I will do.
                                Thanks for this forum.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X