[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Show and Tell

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get the instructions for the four corners?? That and the last floater is all I have left.

Comment

My last floaters were a total of 1.5" finished. I measured the mountain borders and then the actual quilt and subtracted to know that the width needed to be, for me it was 1.5". I don't know if that is actually how it should be done but all sides fit perfectly. For the corners I just looked at the photo from our first BOM and knew it had to measure 6.5". Using a piece of typing paper I made a 6" square with .25 seams around the outside, then broke it into 2" squares. After all of the piecing we have done since January this part was VERY easy and FAST. I wanted to get this project finished before the holiday rush.

My longarm quilter does amazing modern work, she is going to have fun quilting this one!

Comment

sguenther, glad you could easily figure it out. Everyone who has gotten this far should now know how to determine the size floaters need to be to join outer borders to the inner quilt center--not just for this quilt, but for all your quilts going forward. That is one of the beauties of a project like this--it teaches you a lot about the entire quiltmaking process.
        If you want a detailed refresher on the process of figuring out what size to cut the "floater borders", I have a Tutorial on that here:
        http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2016/04/tutorial-magic-of-floater-borders.html

For those who are eager for the cornerstone blocks--they are 6" finished stars. Sue's directions are for paper piecing and I'll write about that for the December 1 blog post. I did one that way and the rest with regular, standard piecing. The units in this 6" star are 2" units, Half Square and Quarter Square Triangles--very easy to figure out.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I have finished the quilt top (used the kit) and I'm working on piecing the backing. My quilt top measures 84" square, not 86". I have measured it twice. Not sure where I went wrong as all the borders fit perfectly.

sguenther, how much did your quilt top measure?

Thanks.

Irene

Comment

Congratulations!! Mine measured 86X86, I'm sure I just got lucky!

Comment

Well it's a first for me finishing ahead of schedule. What you can't see in the photo is many of these fabrics are silver metallics. I've been an admirer of Sue's work for years so I knew I had to make a Halo quilt. I'm not good at following instructions, so I got lucky being as it finished at 82 inches.

Comment

What a stunning quilt. I love the fabrics. Are you going to quilt this?

Comment

Beautiful!!! Your fabrics are so elegant. I made myself put mine away till I finish all my Christmas quilting - almost there- lol.

Comment

Just stunning! I can visualize the metallics.

Comment

Calicocarey, it’s fabulous! Wish I were that far along on mine.

Comment

Yes I will quilt it, but after Christmas. Part of my motivation was getting the top done and out of the way so I could work on gifts etc.

Comment

Calicocarey, your quilt is absolutely exquisite! Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I love the monochromatic colors in your quilt. The silver sounds lovely.

Becky

Comment

Oh my, Calicocarey, what a beautiful quilt. I absolutely love the silver/gray.

Comment

So this is where I am at so far. I also chose to do string of pearls instead of pinwheels. I also put a very narrow floater between the half-square triangles and pearls with a larger floater of the focus fabric between that and the flying geese. Unfortunately, I only had 2 yards of the focus fabric so will have to use something different for the delectible mountains. So far I am happy with it.

Sharon in Colorado

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 41 users online. 0 members and 41 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X