Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice progress Denise and Judy!
    Barb

Comment

I'm getting going again but only on Feb instructions :blush: I'm sewing the little border square strips and they are scrumptious I could eat them. Such tiny pieces of fabric sewn together.

I found that 33 fit the side of the block not 34. Guess I'm not as accurate as I thought but I'm pleased my sewing machine with 9mm plate let me sew a line of stabilising stitches less than 1/8" from edge without chewing it up. I love Ingrid :lol:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I have been working on my April section. I was not happy with having to figure out the fence portion. So I cut the border full size and made my own applique gates. Similar in style to what Lynette has done.

So far so good, will post pictures once its done. I have prepped all my applique pieces and just now starting to sew them down.

I love that we can take her suggestions and each make it our own.

denise

Comment

Well done keeping up. I shall look forward to seeing it.

These hexagons are really doing my head in not helped by the fact I'm using fine thread I can barely see. First set of six I used glue to stick edges to back then sewed together with loads of ironing but they were hard to get out. Now I'm using paper and tacking through in the traditional way. I tried just tacking the folds at the back but I just couldn't get the edges good. How did you do yours?

Comment

Wendy,
            I first used this method,until I bought a Glue Pen (but I find it's a pain to remove the templates)

http://katisquilting.blogspot.ca/2012/05/making-hexies-tutorial.html

I might give this one a try (it looks like there is not too much glue, but I wonder how the points will look.):
            http://prettybyhand.squarespace.com/blog/2013/6/5/little-hexagons-tutorial.html

If you use Mylar template, you might want to try this one (I know I will, I wonder if I could still use this method with paper template):
            http://www.aquiltingsheep.com/2013/08/glue-basting-hexies-my-way.html

Andrée

Comment

I'm using leave-in stabilizer...has adhesive on one side..there are several brands...alittle glue stick to hold in place...
              then iron down ...I used Stabile Stuff a time or two and used glue stick sparingly to stick down the edges...works
              well for me..and no removal ! I run them thru the printer and cut out BTW.

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you. It's the little details that make the difference like punching a hole for a pin and joining the middle ones first, or using stabiliser or plastic rather than card or paper.

I'll give each way a go now, perhaps when I've done 42 I'll love them. I groaned when I saw we've got some more in April :lol:

Comment

:cheer: Done 'em all ! "leave-in" is for me !!

Comment

Hate to say it but I'm getting to love these little hexagons B) :cheer:

Comment

Which method did you use for the hexagons? I'm leaning towards the Mylar.

Comment

I used paper with a hole in the middle for a pin and sewed the old fashion way to tack them. Worked for me, I found the glue hard to get off and the edges difficult to sew through using glue. I was only using a normal glue stick I'm sure it would be better with the proper stuff.

Comment

I'm working the house block windows now. So far enjoying, I've never done hexagons. I like the pin idea. Did you remove the papers or leave in?
                          Barb

Comment

I removed the middle one before joining the edges of the others but then I'm removing the remaining ones after ironing immediately before appliqueing onto the background.

I've just put the heart and vine stem on just starting adding the hexagon flowers. Fun seeing it come together. I was lucky my background fabric is just 27 1/2" phew.

Comment

knotting the thread onto the needle was a good trick of Lynns.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!
                                Barb

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 69 users online. 0 members and 69 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X