[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Kaffe Mystery Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, evelyn, different blocks each time.

And, Evelyn, change your profile silhouette to the Female version! I know for a fact you are a woman--since you live in my town and are a dedicated student.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am a pattern follower and change it to my taste. I liked that Alex gives herself rules for her Mystery quilt. I am doing the same, giving myself rules. My first rule is to use colors I don’t often use. Yellow will be in my blocks. Also going to use pins, not just finger pin blocks.
      Anyone else making rules to guide them in this mystery quilt?

Comment

I am so glad that Alex is back. Really missed seeing her last week during the taping. She is such a joy and really makes it easier to learn and also has so much energy.
        Someone else called her a "hoot" and that seems perfect. We can all use some fun right now. I am also learning some wonderful techniques. Thank you to the Forum manager for making this little community possible.

Comment

I decided to buy the kit with the Kaffe fabrics and the solids. I didn't have a solid white, so I am using a white on white with a very subtle print... I decided to use a different color for this block than Alex used, but I stuck with analogous colors. I also liked the way it looked with the white on the inside instead of the outside - so that's the way I put it together. If it ends up not working in the end, I can make a new block. Thanks to Alex and her permission to let it go if it isn't right. But so far, I love how it looks. I did get the hand dyed fabric, and I did prewash and press and I added starch. (first time ever) I liked how the fabric behaved. I followed every hint, and I think the block is perfect. Probably the best one I ever did. Can't wait for the next one. Don't know how to add photos here, but perhaps by the time I have something to share, I can do so. I also have no idea why my profile pic turned sideways, it's upside right on my computer. Oh well. This is so fun.

Comment

Scrunchymom, I'm with you. I did buy the fabric bundle with the Kaffe and the solids... But I chose different colors than Alex used for the fist block. And I love how it turned out. My rules for myself are to follow all her hints and rules, sew each piece slowly and carefully, and use the colors that speak to me for each block. She went analogous on the colors and I did the same, I went with pink and purple, because that was what was saying 'pick me'. I also loved how it looked with the white triangles on the inside rather than the outside, so that's the way I put it together, using pink squares down the middle and purple with the white for the hst's.

Comment

whats the name of the block book we need for the mystery? I forgot to get it.

Comment

Judieo You asked for the name of the book Alex is using for the mystery quilt? It's The New Quick & Easy Block Tool Book... which can also be purchased digitally. She did say if you had the older version it would also work. The new one has a few more blocks added. But the rest are the same, maybe have a different page number?

Comment

I have a hard time following rules and I am a believer in 'good enough' so I doubt I'll pin. But setting myself some boundaries as opposed to rules limits the options and helps me focus. I have a Kaffe look alike, other florals as well as solids and tone on tones. I did some rough math which is not my strong point and figure 50 blocks (?) and using the dots on the selvedge of my focus fabric helps with how many blocks of main colour(orange) and how many in the supporting. I want my focus fabric to be the triangles for outside edges and I thought about choosing only 7-10 blocks that look circular or flowery but Double X uses my favourite shapes so... We'll see how many rules I can break! lol

Comment

I found a quick tutorial on Retayne & Syntrapol on YouTube by Rob Appel: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=C20369F924B388AF9E37C20369F 924B388AF9E37&shtp=Facebook&shid=f965162e-4d67-4ef0-8bba-7032204b095d&shtk=UmV0YXluZSBvciBTeW50aHJhcG9sOiBQ cmV2ZW50IGFuZCBSZXZlcnNlIENvbG9yIEJsZWVkaW5n&shdk= RnJlZSBQcmludGFibGU6IGh0dHA6Ly9tYW5zZXdpbmcuY29tL3 dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2EuLi4gQ2xpY2sgaGVyZSB0byBnZXQg c3VwcGxpZXM6IGh0dHA6Ly9iaXQubHkvcmV0YXluZWFuZHN5bn RocmFwb2wgUm9iIHRlYWNoZXMgdXMgaG93IHRvIHN0b3AgYW5k IGV2ZW4gZml4IGZhYnJpYyBkeWUgYmxlZWRpbmcgdXNpbmcgUm V0YXluZSBhbmQgU3ludGhyYXBvbC4gVXNlIHRoZXNlIHByb2R1 Y3RzIHRvIG1ha2UgeW91ciBmYWJyaWMgY29sb3IgZmFzdCBvci B0byBnZXQgZHllIG91dCBvZiBsaWdodCBmYWJyaWMuIEdldCBz dXBwbGllcyBieSBjbGlja2luZyB0aGUgbGluayBiZWxvdzogaH R0cHMgLi4u&shhk=NBEqa68CIgJkANVFCup%2BoisevtoXTOku 2e7iNPyWmbo%3D&form=VDSHFB&shth=OSH.azyY7Ldm%252Bk EjyLC0DQCpaA&fbclid=IwAR1jvNIMYcUEnlgHeEvWFc0OSuLg Ein3kaGhbq4wtk7zs8Q7yc3ibKVqIx4

Comment

I just finished my first two blocks, Double X and Double X modified. I tried the color wheel, but then just decided the best thing to do, for me, was to pick a Kaffe fabric and lay out colours on it until I came up with combinations I liked. I don't have the book, but do have and am using Electric Quilt 8. I am also handpiecing, so I print out my block, with colours showing, on label paper. The add registration marks, cut out the pieces, and put them on the corresponding colour. Last step, piece.

Thus far, I am finding this mystery to be fun. I hope everyone else is as well.

Comment

This class is a stretch for me as I am a pattern follower and usually use reproduction fabrics in my quilts. I am using Kona solids and Kaffe Brassica (that I purchased at a local quilt store) for this class. Here are my first two blocks. I am using my Kaffe fabrics and the colour wheel to come up with my colour combinations.

Comment

Wow judysews...you have a beautiful collection of fabrics.

Originally posted by "judysews" post=147955

All Color blocked and starched. Been collecting kaffe fat quarters for years. Can't wait.

Just not sure how to put in a pictures on this forum. Not a Facebook or Instagram user.

Comment

great blocks

Comment

I don’t seem to be able to unsubscribe from this thread, any suggestions? I enjoy what you're all doing, but I’m not participating and all the notifications are clogging up my inbox, lol. I’m not upset, just need the 'how to info'. Thanks

Comment

I am SOOOOOO happy everyone is here. You are making my heart sing!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the sharing!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X