[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Okay, Count me in!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to have to check out my Kindle Fire dictionary and see if it's there... in Italian birichina does mean mischievous but carries the connotation of having a sparkle in your eye as you're being mischievous, kind of like being funny-cute AND mischievous all wrapped into one--so I can't think of a word in English that does all that but I googled birichina for an English translation and KNEW you all would figure out what it means.

Thanks for the comments on the quilt--it feels really good to have something completely pieced. My make-shift design wall is the throw-size batting that I'm going to use for this piece and I already have picked out a backing. So my plan is to get to it quickly and do my best to have fun. My thread is ready--King Tut 921 (Cleopatra)--still debating whether to use Bottom Line in the bobbin... I've played so much with tension that I feel confident I can get the tension I want whether it is with Bottom Line or using King Tut in the bobbin as well. Still playing with a design... will make a decision soon, hopefully by tomorrow. I'm leaning toward doing the blocks in one design and a different design for the border--good idea, bad idea? Thought I was going to give it away when finished, but I'm already getting attached to it...

Comment

Renata - it looks wonderful, nearly enough to make me want to put it on my to do list, scratch that, I do fancy putting on my to do list, but I am trying to deal with the Phd pile first :wink:

Comment

When you do yours, it will be beautiful--you are so creative and colorful in what you do, Rosemary. It's really a great quick project that you can do without much thought and it's a great break from more intense things you might be doing. The reason I was able to put all the blocks together in three days was because I cut all my strips ahead of time (2 1/2 inch squares, 1 1/2 inch strips subdivided into 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4, 5 and 6 inch pieces and one 2 inch strip which I subdivided into 4 inch pieces to put on the corners at round 7 instead of doing rounds 7 and 8 ) and chain pieced ten blocks at a time, ten per day... It gave me a break from the design and digitizing of the Chinese bats for Sedona Star. Now I'm reenergized to go back to Sedona Star to finish the next round of that. Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

Renata...Borders are just right !! Love those dots...seeing bright binding...red, maybe?
          Don't know that mystery word but leprechaun comes to mind.. :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
            Renata...Borders are just right !! Love those dots...seeing bright binding...red, maybe?
            :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
              Originally posted by idaho
              :lol: :lol: :lol:
              Birichino is exactly what a leprechaun is! Wait... if a leprechaun is birichino and Rita is birichina, does that make Rita a leprechaun? Hmmmm.... Anyway, Marilyn, I think your idea is brilliant! I was planning a boring black binding, but I like your idea so I will see what comes closest to a leprechaun red for a binding and see if I can make it work... perfect in Rita's Rose Garden... under which block is she hiding that pot of gold? :mrgreen:

Comment

Well.....are there female leprechauns? Don't know my folklore well enough..Humm? :?: I'll be interested
                to see what you find in the stash. Other bright colors might do nicely, too. Now about that gold..... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                  Ship shape and Bristol fashion it is! I thought you were talking about sniffin' glue but since you were being a little birichina, Rita, I really wanted to see what you come up with next! :twisted: Just took a picture of my new rose garden. Oh boy... now I have to quilt it!

Renata, That's beautiful! It is amazing how the border pulled it all together. It does look like a rose garden!

Lorna

Comment

Sad to say there are no female leprechauns. :? How the males are born is a mystery. Unless they are the unfortunate progeny of a Bean Sidhe (Banshee) and a mortal who falls for her unearthly charms. 8) The funny thing is that the native Wicklow people (I am from Dublin) are very tiny and stocky - well under 5ft. I am 5' 7" and there are times, when I am in the supermarket for instance, where I feel like I am in the land of the little people. Whereas in Kerry it is like being in the land of the giants. A lot of the women here are taller than me. So anyway, no pot of gold here. Anyway, the pot of gold is always at the bottom of a rainbow - still looking :lol:

Comment

I like your border choices. They work well with your quilt fabrics. I am going to have an "interesting" time picking border fabrics. My blocks are very scrappy, although each center is black. I have my blocks pushed aside for now. Gardening and other projects are taking priority.

Ship shape and Bristol fashion it is! I thought you were talking about sniffin' glue but since you were being a little birichina, Rita, I really wanted to see what you come up with next! :twisted: Just took a picture of my new rose garden. Oh boy... now I have to quilt it!

Comment

Thank you, Lorna and Diane! I'm adjusting to the borders and starting to like the black one (it's an RJR Halloween fabric with white stars on a black background).

As for the pot of gold... I thought there would be a rainbow this morning but there was nothing but trees down everywhere in Fairfax County and beyond, two fatalities and 1.5 million power outages in the region, to include 450,000 in our area which will probably persist for a couple of days after a killer thunderstorm raged through our area as a huge "wall" of persistent disastrous weather moved in from Ohio with up to 80 mile an hour winds (hurricane strength), and a light show of continuous thunder for over an hour (I heard we had over a thousand lightning strikes pound the area). The sky around us was continuously lit by lightning--there were moments that it looked like daylight and I could see the house next to me clearly at 10:30 pm! Power to our house flickered and went out a couple of times, but came right back (our power lines are underground). We had 104 degree weather going into this storm with a heat index of 110 degrees and there is more coming today (both heat and thunderstorms, but not of this magnitude). I feel sad for all those people who will have to bear this heat without power and air conditioning. In an hour, it was over. The damage to the area is now being assessed in daylight and I'm sure we'll hear more. This was nothing like the raging fires in Colorado, but definitely amazing to witness.

Comment

Heard of this storm on early news...hoping it passes quickly !! I am ever grateful to live here in central Idaho !

Comment

Wow! That is intense weather!

Your quilt is an inspiration.

BTW...The High Park Fire in Northern Colorado is expected to have 100% containment today. That will free up resources to fight the other fires. I'm looking for any signs of hope. We have had an interesting variety of wildlife come into town. We even had a MOOSE!

I am enjoying the company of my daughter-in-law and my GRANDDAUGHTER! Next week, our son flies in. A couple of days after they leave, Quilt Colorado will begin...I am a bit distracted these days. My pineapple blocks and strips have been moved to a couple of large totes. Since my sewing room doubles as a guest room, the quilt blocks won't get touched for awhile. :wink:

Diane

Thank you, Lorna and Diane! I'm adjusting to the borders and starting to like the black one (it's an RJR Halloween fabric with white stars on a black background).

As for the pot of gold... I thought there would be a rainbow this morning but there was nothing but trees down everywhere in Fairfax County and beyond, two fatalities and 1.5 million power outages in the region, to include 450,000 in our area which will probably persist for a couple of days after a killer thunderstorm raged through our area as a huge "wall" of persistent disastrous weather moved in from Ohio with up to 80 mile an hour winds (hurricane strength), and a light show of continuous thunder for over an hour (I heard we had over a thousand lightning strikes pound the area). The sky around us was continuously lit by lightning--there were moments that it looked like daylight and I could see the house next to me clearly at 10:30 pm! Power to our house flickered and went out a couple of times, but came right back (our power lines are underground). We had 104 degree weather going into this storm with a heat index of 110 degrees and there is more coming today (both heat and thunderstorms, but not of this magnitude). I feel sad for all those people who will have to bear this heat without power and air conditioning. In an hour, it was over. The damage to the area is now being assessed in daylight and I'm sure we'll hear more. This was nothing like the raging fires in Colorado, but definitely amazing to witness.

Comment

These weather conditions are really extraordinary aren't they? Glad you weathered that storm Renata. Hope there wasn't more of the same today. Those kind of temperatures are unbelievable - I don't know how you stand it. I guess you stay indoors with the air conditioning on?

By the way, don't forget to post a photo of your beautiful quilt in the Trash to Treasure show and tell area.

Comment

This weather has been pretty unpredictable and fierce and has affected people globally. Here, the death toll has doubled today to four, still a million people are without power in the region and we are expecting one more large thunderstorm this evening but I don't believe it will be of the same magnitude as last night's. By midnight, it should all be past us. We had a few large trees down in our neighborhood, no injuries--we were pretty lucky. Our hope is that our neighbor's large birch tree does not come crashing through my sewing room window which is almost floor to ceiling. It started leaning a little more precariously than before last night... it towers above the houses by quite a bit. Yes, central air conditioning that is working is a great thing so we did stay cool. This morning at 7 am I went to the grocery store while the temperature was still in the 70s

This hot weather has given me the opportunity to stay indoors playing with quilting patterns and because I always like a challenge and I really feared Maggie's Roses that Nancy had suggested, I pulled out a quilt sandwich and after tracing the pattern several times on paper, I realized that Nancy was right: it was actually fun and it wasn't so hard to do if I'm willing to live with a bit of imperfection! Since the pineapple pattern is so scrappy, no one will really pay attention if my rose petals are not perfectly rounded! So, that one is back on my list of possible designs. Who would have thunk! Marilyn was also right about a bright red binding--I'm toying with a bright red and a magenta one--the magenta seems to play well with the pink centers, although the bright red one fits in with the overall colors. So I will let that one simmer for a while. I promise to post this one when finished!

Thanks to everyone who commented--you really help me expand my horizons and it's just fun to hang out with you all!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 38 users online. 0 members and 38 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X