[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Okay, Count me in!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay here's mine. It still has to be washed so I thought I better take a photo now in case all the colours run together and it is ruined :shock: The finished size is 163cm x 143cm(64.2" x 56.3"). I stitched in the ditch around each block for stability first. Then I did a free motion pattern of leaves and a flower which I adjusted from a bought stencil. I did some straight stitching in the yellow border and then I did a free motion diamond pattern in the outer border which I made up. I used invisible thread on the blocks so that you wouldn't be able to see how shaky my stitching is! And I used a Superior Rainbows thread in the border. I had actually done the blocks in the Rainbows thread but it just looked like I had scribbled all over the quilt so I unpicked it all and started again with the invisible thread. The border fabric is a tie-died fabric but I didn't think about the positioning of the circles until it was too late. It is also the reverse of the fabric as the RS of the fabric was just too much - it had a gold and silver pattern which was just too much for my taste.

Comment

Rita, Your quilt turned out gorgous. It is so interesting to see the variations in fabric we all keep in our stash. We are all different. I love the yellows that give such vibrance to the quilt. I don't know how you free motion with invisible thread since I find it difficult to sew with and only use it when I have to. Great job!

Comment

Thanks Karen. I have to loosen the thread tension to about 2 to use the invisible thread and for some reason it worked perfectly on this quilt.

Comment

Rita, I love your quilt. The colours look so regal. Seeing it, and reading about how you've quilted it makes me want to get on to the business of quilting mine. Your daughters friend will be thrilled. I am sure the spirit of care and fun in which you made it will speed her recovery. It is beautiful.

On another note, Gylean has not popped in on this conversation for a while. I subscribe to her newsletter and its not been posted in a while either. I know she was having difficulty with her shoulder. I think it put her out of comission sewing-wise for awhile. But the last she posted, I thought she said she was getting better. I believe she said that the shoulder thing was a repetitive injury from packing up all the orders to her webcite that came in after her episode on TQS. I was wondering how she managed everything she does. I imagine her day job is rather demanding. I am hoping she is well. I miss hearing from her. Does anyone have more information? Lois

Comment

Thanks Lois. I didn't know that about Gyleen, I hope she is feeling better. RSI's are no fun. I have had tennis elbow and it was just awful not being able to use my hands at all. I think I got it from hand quilting! That reminds me I must get back to hand quilting the wool quilt.

Comment

Rita, your finished quilt is lovely! The radom circles in the border are perfect for the scrappy quilt! No problem, there. I hope it washes up with no bleeds! Be sure to throw in a couple of color catchers, just to be sure!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Thanks Dawn. Yep, colour catchers and synthrapol are going into the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                  Okay here's mine. It still has to be washed so I thought I better take a photo now in case all the colours run together and it is ruined :shock: The finished size is 163cm x 143cm(64.2" x 56.3"). I stitched in the ditch around each block for stability first. Then I did a free motion pattern of leaves and a flower which I adjusted from a bought stencil. I did some straight stitching in the yellow border and then I did a free motion diamond pattern in the outer border which I made up. I used invisible thread on the blocks so that you wouldn't be able to see how shaky my stitching is! And I used a Superior Rainbows thread in the border. I had actually done the blocks in the Rainbows thread but it just looked like I had scribbled all over the quilt so I unpicked it all and started again with the invisible thread. The border fabric is a tie-died fabric but I didn't think about the positioning of the circles until it was too late. It is also the reverse of the fabric as the RS of the fabric was just too much - it had a gold and silver pattern which was just too much for my taste.
                  Rita,
                  Your quilt is GORGEOUS! In particular, what I love about it is the overall joyousness of the colors and how the yellows, gold, and greenish gold blends so beautifully with the transition to greens. The oranges and what looks like fuchsia make the overall design pop and the blues complement the greens in their calm. The purple centres call out to the border and then in such a pleasant surprise, the occasional muted circles in the border fabric twinkle against the deep purple sky. I love the quilting because it enhances the piece without overpowering it. Beautiful quilt, lucky recipient. Thanks for sharing!!!
                  Renata

Comment

Aw, thanks Renata. My quilting has a long way to go but I am enjoying learning along the way.

Comment

Wow, Rita! That is just beautiful! Like Karen, I avoid the invisible thread as much as possible. For me, it's not a tension problem. Instead, I just can't see where I've quilted so I can figure out where to go next!

Anyway, I love your colors and your quilt!!

Nancy

Comment

Rita...bright and sunny pineapples will surely help with your friends' recovery !! Beautiful ! Marilyn

Comment

What a bright and happy quilt it is Rita! I love all the colors and the yellows.
                          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I cannot tell you all the relief I am feeling right now. I have just washed the quilt and it has come out perfectly. Phew! Now I just have to decide whether to tumble it dry or let it dry naturally. Any suggestions?

Comment

Since it is for someone who has been ill I would be inclined to put it in the dryer. It will make it softer. In addition, she may have to launder it often and that will make her less afraid to really use it. I also think of how damp and rainy it can be in Ireland. Wouldn't it take a long time for it to dry? In the end, you made it and know what has gone into it and have a much better idea how it will fair. You'll know what is best! Lois

Comment

Lois & Rita: i love love love both of your quilts.

i especially love that purple tie-dye fabric - i think it goes so well with the bright and fun pineapples - all soooooo cheery

those recipients are going to be soooooooo happy :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X