[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

How Do I Get It Back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rita, that is a great idea about the grandmother's flower garden quilt. Just look at each flower as a separate small project. It's just all in the perspective of things, isn't it?

Thanks!
    Robin
    Robin

Comment

Robin,
      I think just coming here to the site, going through the new messages, maybe reading some of the blogs would be a way to ease back into quilting. I know that, sometimes, sitting with friends and a cup of tea brings me out of the blahs. I just watched the 2012 Legend show for the 2nd time. There is so much out there about quilting that we don't know. Take it slow and easy; it'll come.
      I'm not equating what you've gone through to the "blahs", but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Robin, I'm glad you are getting better. I bet lots of quilters have phases where almost nothing is exciting or stimulating enough to do. I guess our brains and bodies need those periods of calm. It hit me for several months when my mother died. In my case caring friends dragged my out of the black hole. They just kept talking, even if I didn't respond. Then, suddenly, one day I was ready to dive in again.

Just one little idea: Why don't you treat yourself to one of the Craftsy classes. The one with Laura Wasilowski included some handwork. The size of the project is manageable, and the design is very cheerful.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and stay in touch!
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Gosh, I think I've been out of it so long, I don't even know what the Legends Show or the Craftsy classes are. Can they both be found on The Quilt Show website? I'll search for them. Thanks for the suggestions!

Robin
          Robin

Comment

Robin, the Craftsy classes are offered by another web site: http://www.craftsy.com/classes

Each December here is a TQS Legend show available to Star members.
            Here are some early ones: watch/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Robin, I'm glad you're on the mend and getting healthier every day. Is a great thing you're reaching out for help and support. Everybody is giving you great advice. Just be good to your self and take one step at a time. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying quilting and many other activities. Craftsy is offering a free block of the month from Laura Nownes http://www.craftsy.com/class/craftsy...month-2013/183 You can sign up for free and have access to the materials for this month' s block to see the quilt. It's a beautiful sampler quilt and besides the instructions you'll have access to how to videos to complete each block. She did a small sampler quilt here on TQS, you can find it in the classrooms section. It was a block a week but, you can work on it at your own pace.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Robin, I just want you to know that what you are feeling is a really common thing. It sometimes happens to us when we have been through something traumatic. In 2003 one of my children was in a car accident that left him brain injured. I spent a full year in hospitals with him and going through out patient therapy. I had spurts of wanting to quilt during those years. In fact, we even moved to a new house and for the first time ever, I had my own dedicated sewing space. I rarely used it. I made a few baby quilts and two wedding quilts during that time and even made embroidered (Marie Osmond) lace napkin rings for 250 tables for my daughter's wedding, but I just couldn't get back 'that feeling'. The PASSION was missing.
                While I was in outpatient therapy I met another quilter whose daughter had been hit by a drunk driver. She was a couple years out from her daughters injury and maybe in the last two years she has become very involved with quilting again. She is an amazing artist and quilter and teaches in my area.

I am not at all saying that it will take you this long to get your mojo back. Just don't get discouraged. Try a little bit at a time and try to find places that inspire you. One day you will just wake up and it will be back and will sound so very good again. God bless you in your recovery and your journey. Hang in there and don't give up!

Comment

Thanks for posting the links! I do like Laura Nownes. Her designs are always fresh and very pleasing to the eye.

Thank you Sparkle for sharing your story. It was very uplifting. I think recovery is not only for the body but for the mind and spirit as well. I'm very hopeful and have faith I'll be sewing soon. I'm buying quilt magazines every time I go to the store and enjoy looking at them. My outlook is improving with the help of everyone on this thread. You've all been very warm and helpful and it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Robin

PS How do you make those fun signatures??
                  Robin

Comment

Robin, here's the tutorial Margo posted. Just follow this link for instructions http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...s-on-the-forum. :
                    Robin

Comment

Originally posted by Limbania55
                      Robin, here's the tutorial Margo posted. Just follow this link for instructions http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...s-on-the-forum. :
                      Also the site is slow and cantankerous, and it usually takes several goes before you finally get your intended result, so print out the instructions & take it one step at a time.
                      Robin

Comment

personally i think, first sit with your self and try to find the great feeling of 'want to do, cant wait' feeling.
                        then think about small and great goal that will involve quilting to some one you love or say thank you
                        then go shopping for new fabric (that is a party by it self)
                        then relax
                        and then start quilting, all the time remember the great feeling to give and to cherish what you are going to
                        have as final results.
                        good luck, enjoy !
                        by the way, if you dont know any more or dont remember or may be there is new technique - try to find on youtube some
                        tutorials about it, or ask us
                        Robin

Comment

Here it is almost a year later. I had a relapse and was in the hospital again in June. It wasn't as bad as the first time but there has been a recovery period nevertheless.

The good news is I finally started sewing again. It's a baby quilt for a friend of mine who became a grandmother for the 2nd time. I'm not sure what made me start other than just going into my sewing room and pulling fabrics. She wanted it to have fabrics to represent the various ethnic backgrounds of the family. So, I have fabric depicting Italy, Russia, South Africa and the USA. Just two more blocks and I'm finished with that part. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

I think I just may be back on track!

Robin
                          Robin

Comment

It sounds like just the thing to give you quilting sparkle. The fabrics sound challenging I'm not sure i could have met that challenge. I look forward to seeing it Robin.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Congrats, It's nice to hear that you're back

living in Central Denmark
                              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Great to see you Robin - I have thought about you through the year and wondered how you were doing. Nice to see you back.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X