[vb_main_1]

How Do I Get It Back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Get It Back?

Nearly a year ago, I was critically ill. Basically I lost all strength & the use of my legs. I'm walking and gaining strength back but it's a very long recovery. I'm troubled because I have no desire to quilt. I just can't bring myself to pull out the machine, select fabrics, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get going again? I did start sorting fabrics by color a couple of weeks ago but never finished. I'm just kind of blah about everything.

Anybody else have this problem? How did you overcome it?

Thanks,

Robin
    Robin

Robin, I am so sorry you were so ill. I am happy you are recovering. I guess it will take time to get the quilting bug again. I suggest you keep reading the forum posts, and respond when you feel like it. Just relax and enjoy the conversations. I think gradually you will get in the swing of things. Start small, so you are not overwelmed. Prehaps a quilted valentine for yourself, or an Easter pot holder. Just know we are all here for you. If you don't feel like sewing, get a dry erase board and try designing some quilt blocks. Easy to erase and if there is something you really like, redraw on paper. My DGS has some kind of magnetic toy with a pen to draw with. I use it to practice my quilting patterns. I am wishing you a new year filled with health, happiness, and renewal of your love of quilting.
    God Bless.

Comment

Robin, maybe you need to find a project that really makes you want to get back to the process? Try looking through the TQS Quilt Gallery link for inspiration : see-quilts/quilt-gallery/

It changes every day if you just want to do it in little bits or you can grab a cuppa your favorite beverage and spend hours perusing! If you click on the "thumbnail" photo, you will see lots more detail!

You can also check out http://pinterest.com/ and do a search for "quilts". Again, click on the thumbnail once, then on the photo again and sometimes you will link back to a source for the quilt design or pattern.

Do you have a friend that you used to enjoy spending quilty time with? Maybe a trip to a quilt shop and lunch would be a good start?

Good luck!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I wish I had some earth shaking answers... What usually works for me is doing a small project for someone else -- usually needy children. There are so many little ones who could use the comfort of a quilt -- nothing fancy, just something simple. It could be a small project, so you need not be too heavily invested in terms of time and materials, but you would produce something very precious to some little one. Perhaps you could donate it to Project Linus or some hospital or charitable organization in your area. All you need to do is take the first step and think of the child.

Just as an aside, my husband and I were watching TV yesterday about a quilter who got involved in doing something to honor the children killed in Conn. His observation was, "Gee, quilters are such nice people!" You bet!

Good wishes...

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi Robin, I am sorry that you have been so ill - how traumatic that must have been for you. I do hope you continue to recover quickly. Sorting through your stash is much too onerous a task for you now. Why don't you think about doing something small to begin with - like a cushion cover. I was reading through your blog and it struck me that you could do a butterfly cushion in memory of your friend Nancey? Just a suggestion? Take care of yourself.

Comment

Here's what may help: find a cool pattern. Something that takes you step by step. Then, go to the quilt store and buy everything new. New fabric, notions, thread, whatever. Don't go hunting in your stash! You need a FRESH start. Buy a new rotary cutter, mat, whatever you need. My prescription to de-funk! :wink:

Comment

It sounds to me as though you've begun. You want to get going. That's a start. You have been very, very ill. Be patient with yourself. It's hard to know where to begin. You'll begin to figure it out as you continue to recover. Start very, very small. Remember you couldn't walk and I bet when you began again it was one step at a time. You'll know what to do!

Comment

My response would be: do something that makes you smile quilty or not. Don't push yourself because that will not make you happy. Try to figure out if it's reading a book, having a cup of something or simply just look out the window to celebrate how far you have come. Then I'm pretty sure that some day you'll wake up and feel now it's time to sew.
                I wish you good luck

living in Central Denmark
                Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

robin, i am glad to hear that you are recovering! all of the above are great answers that if you write them as bullets you have a very complex and full answer. i hope to see your quilt soon

living in Central Denmark
                  Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. What you need now is to be very, very good to yourself. Maybe take some time to view past shows from TQS—they might inspire you. Or try working through one of the classes TQS offers—maybe something like Lauren Vicek's embellishment class. But above all, don't feel you have to push yourself. Be good to yourself. We're happy to see you back! Best wishes, Robin

Comment

So sorry that you have been ill. Happy to hear you are doing better and will pray for that path to continue. Life is not always fair and sometimes the "fair" moved on before we get to attend.

Nine years ago, I was supposed to die or be paralyzed from the waist on down. I recovered. I am walking with a cane but walking and quilting and doing many other activities that were never supposed to be possible for me again. I had always been an avid reader, but after my illness, I could not seem to concentrate on a book. I started small, magazine articles, short stories, innocuous simple fiction, simple mysteries etc. in order and eventually I became an avid reader again. My quilting followed a similar path. I fell in love with Ricky's Convergences and did many of them, one after another and in increasingly more difficult steps. Then I moved back into doing other patterns and raw edge applique. After time, I went to one of Ricky's retreats and did a Rhapsody. Now I sort of follow my dreams and my passion is back.

Being serious ill and then having to learn to walk again and gain stamina etc. is not an easy road. Take your time, give yourself a pat on the back and a big Whoo Hoo every time you make a small step. Do a happy dance when you accomplish a slightly bigger step and eventually you can work your way back. It is possible and life can get better. Hugs to you, keep the faith, and take baby steps. Ann

Comment

Ann I'm so sorry life has been so tough for you, but you are truly an inspiration.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I want to thank everyone for your responses and great ideas! I'm inspired by all of you and so touched by your thoughtfulness.

After a month in the hospital, I spent a month with my aunt. While there I started working on a hand quilting project I had started last year. It's a grandmother's flower garden. When I came home in April, I set it aside and haven't picked it up again. I got it out and am looking at it. As some of you said, I shouldn't overwhelm myself with a big project.

I'll keep you all posted and again, many thanks!

Robin
                          Robin

Comment

Yes, do keep us posted. When you've been sick that long recovery takes a long time. Be patient. When I am too tired to quilt or if I don't feel well for one reason or another I like to watch old TQS episodes.

Comment

Me too Lois! Robin, hand piecing a grandmothers flower garden is a great idea because you can work on individual flowers. I love doing those hexies. I am working on one too (3/4" hexies) and it is so good to be able to break it down into the smaller components. At the moment I am working on 12 large flowers after which I have lots of diamonds to do. It's my take-along project for travelling or waiting around for the kids to come out of school etc. Take care of yourself.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 58 users online. 0 members and 58 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X