[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

France

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorna, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip throu tha quilt show in France. I reall am enjoying seeing all your lovely pictures.

Comment

Thanks, Lorna, there's lots of inspiration right there! What a trip! Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=132992
        The book looks interesting, I'd love to look through it. I've booked a workshop in October on art journalling which I hope will help my quilting and creativity and give me a push to use inks, colours and mixed media.
        It was a bit disappointing that the 2 books on display were in glass cases as I would also have liked to see more of them. The art journaling class sounds like fun. You'll have to let us know how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by "Reetzbobeetz" post=132999
          I agree with Nancy - it all looks very interesting. So would you recommend it Lorna? Did you find good accommodation nearby? Was it easy to get to and easy enough to get around the different venues - apart from the weather?
          Rita,
          We had been planning our post-retirement "Grand Tour" of France for quite a while. We figured we would take advantage of that fact that we were already over here in Europe. During our planning I mentioned that there was a big quiilt show in France somewhere. Pure coincidence that we happened to be in Alsace at just the right time. The day we chose to go was a day that we were moving between Ribeauville in Alsace to Nancy in Lorraine. The Val d'Argent is only about 30 minutes from where we stayed in Ribeauville. We did not need a place to stay so I can't speak to how difficult it would be to get a room in the immediate area. We also happened to have a car so getting around wasn't a concern. The villages are small enough that we parked once in each village and then walked between the exhibits. They did have a free shuttle bus that ran between all exhibits.

In addition to the exhibits, there was a contest award ceremony on the first day and then 3 lectures offered on Thursday and Friday. Looks like about 25 different classes were offered during the week on a variety of topics and for different experience levels. All were offered in French. Most were also offered in English and some were also offered in German, Dutch, Japanese or Spanish.

I rushed through a bit but easily finished in the one day (though I missed one whole venue. ) I am very glad that we were able to work it into our schedule. There were top notch artists with a wide variety of techniques. It was a great day and very inspiring.

Comment

More from the Austrian exhibit.

Note the red circles...they are yo-yo's. I thought that was a great use of yo-yo's.

Comment

The name of each flower was embroidered on that section of the quilt.

Comment

This exhibit was called "Reflection" and was a 2015 EPM (European Patchwork Meeting) International Contest. About 40 pieces were selected for travel for the year.

Central Park West Sunrise by Linda Evan

Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain by Susan Gregg

Hidden Falls (sorry forgot to get the artist

Forgot to get artist and title

Comment

There was a large commercial area with lots of quilting goodies for sale. One venue was wearable products for sale...raincoats, hats, coats, jewelry, scarves, and spats, I guess you would call them?

Comment

Also a favorite of mine, one exhibit had log cabin quilts. "Log Cabin: between Tradition and Modernity" I worked with DH on the names of the different settings. He joined me for the day.

This second photo isn't pieced like a log cabin. It's all solid squares or triangles pieced and set on point and then the "logs" are appliqued (really just fused) on to appear like it was a pieced Courtyard Steps.

Comment

I've enjoyed all your photos Lorna and it has really whetted my appetite for a visit sometime. I love the fact that it is exhibited through a series of villages and I'll bet they are all really pretty. The French really know how to do hanging baskets during the summer months and just being there and soaking up the architecture and the atmosphere nourishes the soul, never mind the cuisine which nourishes the body. :cheer:

Comment

Jeanne Chausson from France works with different fabrics and uses wood to print her own fabrics.

Comment

What a treat to see the country side and the wonderful variety of quilts. I especially like the "secret" garden gate.
                          Thanks so much Lorna!

Comment

This exhibit was entitled "Facets and Reflections" and the artist, Erica Waaser, is from Germany.

The other artist here was Michele G Samter from Switzerland with her "Sounds of Colors"

Comment

Wow

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

At the Eglise des Chaines there was an exhibit of Pennsylvannia Quilts in Miniature and Amish Farmhouse (Dollhouse).

Sorry. I didn't actually take pictures of the miniatures. oops.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 131 users online. 0 members and 131 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X