[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marilyn, I don't have your reel in this group. Don't worry.
    Joan, thanks for everything. I did have to rinse a lot to get the colour to stop running.
    Thanks, Michelle for the reminder/tip. Should I do zigzag or regular straight stitching?

Thanks to everyone!
    Hugs.

Comment

I do a strait stitch within the 1/4" of the edge, so it will be covered by the binding.

Comment

Originally posted by crocus999
        Help! Help! Help! :cry: :cry:

This is the first time, so maybe I'm overacting, but I have a problem. I hope someone can help.

I am in-the-process at the moment of writing - sewing rows of spools/reels together. I've been very pleased at how things are working out until now!

For the 1 1/2 inch X 5 1/2 inch strips used for the tops and bottoms of the reels/spools, I used various fabrics. One has bled, but this only showed up while ironing the rows together. I have ironed it each step of the way, and no sign of bleeding, and now it's going nuts on me.

It is a batik (grabbed from a give-and-take stash box at our guild - you put in your 'don't wants' and take some 'wants'. It's great for finding just the special bit of fabric.) I now imagine that it had not been washed! :evil: I always pre-wash. I 'should have' been more careful. But right now I don't have time for a pity-party and 'should-haves' and 'if-onlys'. It's bleeding into the neutral blocks between the reels. I tried to soak it with more water, but it doesn't seem to be going away. I have a bottle of Retayne, but that says to use it before even first washing the fabric. Would vinegar work, or baking soda? Shall I keep it wet until I find a good solution? It's purplish-blue
        Thanks.
        Terrie, by now you might've have your problem solved but,I found about this just tonight and figured I posted it anyways.
        Vicky welsh does hand dyes and she's also a TQS member. This is a post on her website about colorfastness and what procces she follows with her hand dyes http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...d-fabrics.html
        Make sure you also read this follow up post, where she mentions someone used her method on a finished quilt, to get rid of stains from running dye http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...ness-post.html.

Comment

Thanks for posting this info ...a little more work for the good result ! Extra hot water does make us
          nervous but I know many treatments require it !

Comment

As an additional thought, if you use one of those picnic hamper cool boxes for your long rinse, the insulation will keep the water hot for longer, which should also be a help.

Comment

This just popped up in my Facebook page: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...-catchers.html it tells you how to make your own color catchers. It sounds really easy for those who live where they are not easily available in the stores.

Comment

Awesome post. I am going to try this... I buy those color catchers like crazy... Thanks for sharing it.
                Bren from SD

Comment

Thanks for all the good links, posts and advice.

Spool quilt is marching on!

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                    Does anyone recognize whose reel this is? It is the only one that came to me without a label... and I would love to know whose it is so that I can quilt the name of the person it came from into my quilt. Thanks!

Renata, have a look at the back in the seam allowances, 2 members - Dawn/Scoopie, & Cindy Croll both signed their actual reels rather than putting labels on them. I just got reminded of this working on my reels this morning (and am 'doing my crust' because my maths for the border is completely aaaagggghhhhh (expletive of your choice), as well as cutting a whole lot of setting triangles 1" too large - so a new variation of the design is in the offing :roll: )

Comment

Renata, I have the same block with no name on it. It's not Dawn's or Cindy's. If you got a reply could you let me know, thanks. I also have another unidentified block and would appreciate it if whoever owns it could let me know. Here's a photo:

Comment

I also checked my reels and don't have any that are even close to the one you are asking about, Renata. I have a block very similar to the one Rita just posted and it is the only one of mine without a name too.
                        I am working on my quilt and I didn't realize how time consuming these are. I was going to make mine larger since I have two sets of reels, but now that I have 35 done, I think the original quilt with 41 reels is looking big enough. It is fun though, looking at the names as you go.
                        Lori

Comment

I have a pdf of all the names in their groups, if you would like to a) try and work out which group you were sent back, and b) try and work it out by a process of elimation.

Comment

I had one reel each from Cindy and Dawn with their names on the back so I checked the brown one too to see if the name was on the back--no such luck! However, my sister came to the rescue because she did have the same brown reel that I did and the owner of that reel is LenaR who is from Houston, Texas. Rita, I am sorry that I don't have the "nameless" reel you posted, but it is very pretty! I hope somebody comes through for you.

Comment

Not to worry Renata, at least I have one of the two missing names.

Comment

I was in group 7A and it's not in mine.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 283 users online. 0 members and 283 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X