[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by romira
    Am really enjoying all your recipes, comments, etc.
    Rather than paste a link here for a baby cowboy booty pattern, you will find lots to
    choose from if you just type pattern sew baby cowboy booties in the google search box.
    Found lots of cute stuff!
    Thanks! I agree with you Romira.

Comment

I just got word about these stolen quilts so everyone who is looking at quilts keep your eye out for these

http://karencombs.wordpress.com/2012...quilts-stolen/

Comment

It's obvious that us quilters love to eat in between quilting! I just found the famed "Barm Brack' on pg 8 or 82. I think I will try it. Which kind of tea is the best to saok the fruit in? I have all sosts of tea. - In fact, a whole cupboard dedicated allthings things tea. People know we like tea and every gift, whether hospitality, birthday, Christmas seems to be somethng tea related. A friend of mine recently visited Sri Lanka and a tea plantation, and brought us back a big package of first cut tea! OH! mY! ..I will dring that, if you please, not use it to soak the fruit.

Comment

Terri, the best tea for this is black tea or English Breakfast Tea. Bren just made one using Earl Grey and said that it was good too. I prefer black tea though. You can use any fruit combo you like too. Also, I tried it using Rosemary's method of boiling the fruit in the tea for 1/2 hour rather than overnight and that worked great too. Although, I just brought it to the boil and then left the pot on the range rather than actually boil the fruit. That worked a treat. Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

I have been lurking in the Wot RoTT Exchange and have hesitated joining the banter because I am not in the exchange. I guess I might have entered in at some point along the way because I am getting the notices of posts. I think I should be permitted to join for the recipes. I also have been thinking of how American's Celebrating St. Patrick's Day is percieved by the Irish. When I was a little girl my mother always helped me find something green to wear, if only a ribbon for my hair. In school the teachers would take the opportunity to teach us something about Ireland - geography, customs, or stories about Ireland. We'd make shamrocks. It's the media that focuses on the wild partying and I am not denying that does occur. But perhaps the reason we tend to want to wear green is that some of us have roots there and the others of us want to celebrate the diversity that we are. My ancestors came from Germany, Scotland and Ireland so long ago that I do not know who they were or any specifics other than nationality. St. Patrick's Day for some of us is more than just a good excuse for partying, although I must say, a bit of the partying is just dandy.

Comment

Heaven forfend that this thread is an exclusive group, and that you have to send in reels to join in the natter! All forum junkies are welcome here if you have a quip (or recipe) that will enliven someone else's day. I'll even throw the limerick competition open to all comers :wink:

Comment

I have a question about the "Barm Brack". Is it possible to use something other than tea to make it? I have tried some teas and some things with tea extract (like vitamins) and they make me itch. This sounds really good.

Frances

Comment

Originally posted by Franceslovesfabric
                  I have a question about the "Barm Brack". Is it possible to use something other than tea to make it? I have tried some teas and some things with tea extract (like vitamins) and they make me itch. This sounds really good.

Frances
                  Hi Frances,
                  This is a recipe for the Tea Brack. It offers some funny suggestions for replacing the tea.
                  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...ret-tea-brack/

Karen

Comment

Frances
                    I've never made it with anything other than tea (PG Tips to be precise). But what you are doing is adding a flavoured moisture to the cake/brack. I doubt that plain water would be nearly as tasty, Rita has some 'porter brack' recipes that probably involve something like a stout (Guiness?) but there is nothing to stop you trying other liquids - if you do I hope that you report back your findings to the rest of us :wink:

Comment

Frances

Love the King Arthur Flour Co. , but not as common in the west...Thank heaven for Mail order !

Comment

Sorry ! Sugarmuffin 57.... didn't copy the whole post...was fun to read KAF's blog and recipe. Thanks !

Comment

Frances, I am sure that you could use flavoured teas rather than real tea if you want to. You would probably need at least two tea bags infused for a good while. You could also try it with beer or Guinness. I think if you used beer it might make it lighter too because of the air in the beer - but I have never tried it. Once you cook the cake most of the alcohol will be cooked out of it anyway. I actually think that bringing the tea with the fruit in it to the boil and then leaving it to either simmer very gently for 1/2 hour or overnight if you prefer gives better results because the fruit really plumps up.

DH is grumbling about it being all gone and wanting more. :roll: At least there is no fat in it and next time I am going to try it with wholewheat flour like Marilyn. Now that cake would be very good for the innards! :mrgreen:

Comment

I must say,Rita, that you started something ! My DH made sure that I sliced the second loaf ,packaged it for
                            packing in his lunch for work and put it in the freezer so not so likely to vanish overnite! :lol: :lol: :lol:
                            This from a fellow who says he doesn't like "fruitcake"! Hum..maybe the shot of whiskey in the tea made
                            a difference? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Comment

another alternative liquid to tea that i think might work well is orange juice - i would add the grated peel of two oranges (use organic oranges - so you don't have the pesticides...) to it to get more flavour. oj and fruit generally go together quite well...
                              of course this would make it an orangy brack - but as one who spreads marmalade on the bread slices when she makes bread & butter pudding, i think it could be quite good
                              will test this, the original rita-version, the original rosemary-version and whatever else i can think of when i'm at my parents' house in early april. gotta make use of the guinea pigs when you have them... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Marilyn I am glad that your DH likes it too - they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach... and they are right :lol: Lotti, I like the idea of the fresh orange juice and zest too. Let us know how you get on with it. I am sure the guinea pigs will be more than willing victims.

Now, what other divilment can I get up to while we wait for the spools :twisted:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 388 users online. 0 members and 388 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X