[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

A challenge for your sewing space (4)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a star for "the least amount of fabric?" I have more bins than shown in the photo but from about 40 to 50 bins, ten years ago, from the shirt box size to ones able to hold a number of quilts, all clear Rubbermaid, I am finding new non quilt purposes for a lot of my bins. Of the ones in use many only have a little bit in them, most are ready to pick up and piece the contents. My fabric stash is totally contained in that open bin on the floor. For a lot of my projects I will be piecing the top only to pass on to charity groups that will quilt them. My overall focus has changed over the years to the point where my preference is hand piecing smaller projects. I then machine quilt them because my hands won't allow hand quilting. Just like so much I do this is the exact reverse of many who piece by machine and quilt by hand.

Comment

Well, I haven't see everyone's stash, but I would say that you are the hands-down winner for someone who has been at this sport for a while!! I'm impressed!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I have felt a little left out of this challenge, because I am a minimalist and a neat freak. My before and afters don't look much different. First challenge: I had just bought a new iron AND ironing board cover. Cutting table has ONLY what is needed for my month one BOM. And, I wasn't going to remove that just for a picture.

Challenge two. There is a little difference here. I would love to have one of those hand made spaghetti/noodle drying racks for my littles blue strips! And, have you ever tried to find a swimming noodle for your machine's knee lifter in the middle of winter, in a ski area? (Great idea, Margo!)

Challenge three. I think that was the drawer. I opted to clean off the computer desk area. It was cluttered! (I'll post the picture next time, as I am at my photo limit.)

Challenge four. Underneath the cutting table. Never have stored anything under there, except a neat stack of all of my quilts.

So, on the surface, everything looks quite tidy. Do I dare mention I have a big closet in that room? With two large sliding doors, that will mask everything hiding behind it? Uh oh! I think I know where I REALLY need to work! Dawn

Comment

Thank you Dawn!! Look for the next challenge in another post! :lol:

BTW....I am impressed with your neat sewing space! I could work there!! :wink:

Comment

Gosh, Dawn! My mother would have loved to have you as a daughter, rather than what she had to cope with.... me, always almost chaotic.

I must admit that I admire all those who have the urge to be tidy and continuously manage to have a superbly organized life. It somehow just never happens to me - however much I try.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
              Gosh, Dawn! My mother would have loved to have you as a daughter, rather than what she had to cope with.... me, always almost chaotic.

I must admit that I admire all those who have the urge to be tidy and continuously manage to have a superbly organized life. It somehow just never happens to me - however much I try.
              I received a book from a foreign exchange student we had who was Germany. The book was suppose to teach me how to get along with the Germans. One of the things it said was that the German people are very organized. Hmmm, I know it is a long time since any of my relatives came from Germany but I don't have that compulsion. My DH (also German) folds his clothes before putting them in the wash. I guess you and I would get along just fine Lorchen.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen

Just for the record, I was a very messy teen! I stuffed stuff under the bed and on the floor of the closet. I remember once, my mom would not let me go to a dance one night if I didn't clean the floor of my closet first! :evil:

Comment

I remember in 1964 soon after I got married my parent came to visit me for the first time at "my house". They were there for about 3 hours when my Dad took me aside and put his arm around me and whispered in my ear that he was sure proud that I didn't keep my house like I kept my room at home all those years. What do you say to something like that...I kissed his cheek and said (in my typical youngest child sort of way) Thanks Dad, but it's easy...I bought it and I have to keep it clean...your stuff was your stuff and I always thought Mom should be the one to clean it! He fell apart laughing and never repeated that to my Mom...who was very curious I might add!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

Oh Karen, what a marvelous story!!! I'll be smiling about that for days . I have a neatnik mom (my dad was an Aries like me—much better at starting things than finishing them, and putting away? heavens!) and I married a neatnik, who has suffered with my chaos all these years (26+). My DH has been known to whisk a plate away from right under my fork -- yes, I was still eating :roll: . One of the biggest fights we ever had, though, was when he went into one of my drawers, and threw away the cardboard packaging that was in the plastic covering to my hair scissors. He felt I didn't need it :cry: . Actually, we do a pretty good job of keeping the rest of the house neat, and he's learned—finally!—to leave my office/sewing space alone ... mostly. Of course, his office (actually both home and at school) is now starting to look like that of the absent-minded professor he's becoming :wink: .

Comment

Laughing right with you Robin....you gotta love them don't ya! My DH is rather a messy sort....his garage and desk just makes me crazy. I can stand a few dust bunnies, but clutter mess drives me up the wall....when he left on this work assignment that he is on last Oct. his parting words to me were...."do not touch anything in the garage while I am gone...I like everything just where it is right now!" I didn't believe him when he said he could read my mind and just knew I was going to go and straighten things up out there in the "pit". :? I have been a good girl and haven't touched it...I have to close my eyes though as I back out of the garage....we have a pact now...no garage touching and no sewing room touching. :lol:

Comment

When I cook/bake/or sew it looks like I threw a hand grenade into the room., but I figure I'm also the one that has to clean it up so I go for it and enjoy the process.

Comment

OK...I'm a day late, but this is a huge improvement! I won't share with you the colony of fully grown rabbits that I excavated! No little dust bunnies here! :lol:

Comment

Looks great Margo...BUT what did you do with all the stuff that was there before and isn't there now?

Robin and Karen..Thanks for the laughs. In our house if someone can't find something they always ask "Mom, did you throw (insert item here) away!!!!" I don't just randomly throw things out but can't stand clutter and have usually taken said item to its proper room or closet. Who would ever think to look for something where it belongs!?

Comment

Originally posted by djane
                              Looks great Margo...BUT what did you do with all the stuff that was there before and isn't there now?

Robin and Karen..Thanks for the laughs. In our house if someone can't find something they always ask "Mom, did you throw (insert item here) away!!!!" I don't just randomly throw things out but can't stand clutter and have usually taken said item to its proper room or closet. Who would ever think to look for something where it belongs!?
                              Debbie, a lot of the stuff piled up on (and over and around!) the basket was destined for my DIL, and they happened to come for a visit last week-end. What she didn't want was packed in my car and will be delivered to Goodwill this afternoon. The stack of boxes at the right end of the table was DEAD IRONS!! :roll: I really don't know why I was keeping them, but they are now in the garage for next week's trash pick-up. On top of that pile were several products for cleaning irons that have been moved to a drawer closer to the iron.

The basket is where I pitch stuff for TheGrands of my DIL to keep it all together until I see them. The stool under the basket doesn't really get used for much now, but my brother made it for me and my children and grandchildren used it a lot when they were little. Some things are worth keeping!
                              It was under there before, but you couldn't see it for the piles around it! :lol:

The pile of towels (still there) is what I use often when I starch fabrics. I spread them out on the floor and lay chunky cuts of fabric on the towels to catch the over-spray.

Comment

Originally posted by djane

I hear you loud and clear. I know to expect a phone call or two from my bachelor sons after I have visited with the question now phrased, "Mom when you were here did you come across whatever?" We are well over the accusations of throwing stuff away. That resulted in a visit for each when I didn't lift a finger, including cooking. Now I get praise for having cleaned, tidied and sorted so that I won't stop.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 50 users online. 0 members and 50 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X