[vb_main_1]

A challenge for your sewing space (4)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyAnnie
    Well, I am behind on all 4 challenges. I did clean my iron and I am almost done making a new ironing board cover. What do you recommend for the padding. There was just 1/8' foam on it. I cleaned the basement except for my quilting supply area. I call it that because I do most of my work upstairs and keep my supplies downstairs as it is unfinished space. but I am trying to consider how I would like to use it once it is finished. Accessibility and organized is how I want it. I do know I want my fabric out of tubs and in cupboards. I am really tired of digging through tubs to find a possibility. I have a labeler but no cupboards or drawers yet to label. One day in the future . . .
    Diane/Wyoming
    There is a company in Roswell Georgia that sells equipment for dry cleaners and I really like their ironing board pad. The one I use is called a BLOCKING BOARD PAD and is described as "A no frills blocking board pad that retains heat but not moisture. The 100% nylon needle-punched synthetic monofiliment flannel is made especially for laundry and dry cleaning establishments." "30 ounce per square yard configuration forms a dense 3/8" thick, cushion under the pad."

I got the 30" x 48" size and cut a piece of plywood that size then covered the pad with muslin and a top layer of heavy cotton duck (canvas) fabric that I occasionally un-staple and wash.
    I got mine about 10 years ago and think it cost about $22 at that time.

They don't have a web site but the company name is Golden Hands Industries and the phone number is (770) 998-1323.
    You will often see their booth at larger quilt shows around the country.

no affiliation, yada yada...but I really do like this product.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Well, looks like in my case it will be my main work table that currently has several bags of stuff hiding under.....we are expecting another big snow storm here in Nova Scotia (25 cm of snow) so tomorrow i'll be up in studio all day long and geting those batik half square triangles going.....
      cheers
      Jeanine

Comment

WhooHoo for snow days that leave us with electricity!

Comment

Oh bother!!! I was about to sort out the two shelves, as instructed by Margo in challenge 3. I had it all planned: Shove overflow from shelves under table, take pictures, and give myself a pat on the back for having got away with it. But what do I do now???.......... First thing: Off to bed and no alarm set for tomorrow. Maybe I can dream of a solution that'll let me do 3 and 4 in less than an hour.....
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: GOTCHA! :lol:

Comment

Okay, this one won't be so bad. Most of whats under my table is batting in big blue bins, and UFOS in tidy cardboard boxes. It's just a few little things that I have stacked on and around them. Cant really do much for the bins, that's the only place for them until I get floor to ceiling cabinets.

Comment

DirtyAnnie wrote:
                Well, I am behind on all 4 challenges. I did clean my iron and I am almost done making a new ironing board cover. What do you recommend for the padding. There was just 1/8' foam on it. I cleaned the basement except for my quilting supply area. I call it that because I do most of my work upstairs and keep my supplies downstairs as it is unfinished space. but I am trying to consider how I would like to use it once it is finished. Accessibility and organized is how I want it. I do know I want my fabric out of tubs and in cupboards. I am really tired of digging through tubs to find a possibility. I have a labeler but no cupboards or drawers yet to label. One day in the future . . .
                Diane/Wyoming

Empty your tubs out, find a piece of cardboard that is slightly smaller than the 'small wall' of your tub (I presume they are rectangular), then prop your tub up, so that it's base is about 45 degrees. Next fold your fabric around the card so they are all the same size as the end wall and stack them in the tub so that you can see the end of each piece of fabric when you look at the top of the tub. That way you can see the entire colour contents in one go and they are relatively easy to extract.

I've tried having the tub vertical on it's end but found that the fabric had a tendancy to try to slid out (this is my lining fabric box); but having it at the angle is much easier.

Rosemary

PS you also need to ensure that the box is mostly full or they start sliding down and trying to get untidy - at which point it must be time to buy more farbric :lol:

Comment

Thanks Rosemary! Good tips!

Check this out for more folding tips: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563306368ujRyrP

Comment

Originally posted by quiltycrafts
                    How 'bout we try takling all the stuff on the floor in front of the table we need to clean under? :-)
                    I laughed at that. It took me back to retail owner days. I had an older clerk who had quite a few years of retail experience so I assigned her a section of shelfs to set up and sign for a sales flyer. When she was done I checked it out and was flabbergasted. From thence something I often thought of was: the shelves are empty but the floor is full. She had made a nice display right in front of almost empty shelves. The qualification she didn't have was "common sense."

As far as your challenge goes, I'm out. My table has shelves underneath with labelled bins and people have accused me of being too organized. This is my cutting/ironing table.

Comment

Impressive, Agnes! I know that I work better when clutter is at a minimum....so howcum stuff gets so piled up sometimes??? :roll:

Comment

Rosemary says: "PS you also need to ensure that the box is mostly full or they start sliding down and trying to get untidy - at which point it must be time to buy more farbric!"

Well, in that case none of us should have a problem. I still have to meet a quilter with half-empty fabric stash boxes.

I better get back to my shelves........... I can hear Margo tapping on the table and waiting for an update.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                          Oh bother!!! I was about to sort out the two shelves, as instructed by Margo in challenge 3. I had it all planned: Shove overflow from shelves under table, take pictures, and give myself a pat on the back for having got away with it. But what do I do now???.......... First thing: Off to bed and no alarm set for tomorrow. Maybe I can dream of a solution that'll let me do 3 and 4 in less than an hour.....
                          ROTFL!!! Thank you Lorchen.

Comment

Maybe this will drag Margo away from the TV and the Superbowl game:

I have two lots of shelving in my sewing room (on either side of the door). The room is South-facing and has very large windows - great for working in, but not so good for fabrics. So, I tidied up the smaller unit today. I contains my FQs and some books and magazines. Margo, the first picture is for you!

So that the fabric edges don't get too much sunlight I made a simple quilt out of scraps. It's attached to the top of the bookcase with a strip of velcro.

I need some more time for the shelves on the other side of the door. I managed to tidy it up, but no protective quilt yet. The top is pieced but I need to find some time to finish it - hopefully before the summer brings more sunny days.

Miss Margo, is this good enough? Do I get an itsy-bitsy gold star?

But, please, no challenges for me for the next two weeks. I'm going to be too busy, and would have to look for excuses.

Comment

OHMYGOSH! Lorchen, both of those areas look great, and I love your 9-patch curtain! Good job!!

This star's for you!!

Comment

Lorchen: I think that you work very well when challenged! Amazing work and quilts made for concealment also! You deserve that big gold star.
                                Agnes: too funny with your clerk! I am a perfectionist/procrastinator that got fed up with just stuffing items away so they were hidden AND then not being able to find them when I needed them. I went on strike about 7 months ago and refused to "hide" anything anymore. I combined that with multiple trips out of town in the same period and now have a whopping mess. Is getting better, but not ready for an "after" pic yet.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X