[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

2013 BOM

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never finished any of the TQS BOMs! I'd really like to give this one a shot, but from my stash. It looks like there's a lot of blue in it, and that's what I seem to have the most of in my drawers.
    Does anyone know how Sue and Pat will be doing the directions?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
      Does anyone know how Sue and Pat will be doing the directions?
      No idea, Eileen! Actually, I think that there will be a third party (NOT ME!) doing the instructions, but there is no news about it yet.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Oh too bad. I have always found your instructions so helpful Margo. This quilt is something I am considering. I have done 2009-2011. 2012 wasn't my thing. It will definately be a challenge to try and keep up. Not sure I could but we'll see. I did like how they listed in the preview of the block what was going to be each month.
        If you follow this schedule and keep up you'll have a completed quilt by New Years 2014.

January - Sashing 1 - Learn Debra Wagner's Striplate Piecing technique to accurately piece triangle units.
        February - Sashing 2 - Learn accurate piecing of strips.
        March - Learn to join pieced arcs to curved edge.
        April - Applique Center Basket - basic stitched raw edge applique.
        May - Piecing the star in circle blocks - Learn how to piece the triangle units in a circle and reverse applique.
        June - Applique Border 1 - Learn straight stitch bias stems and outside points.
        July - Applique Border 2 - Learn reverse applique and small circles.
        August - Applique Border 3 - Learn embellishments and thread stems.
        September - Applique Border 4 - Learn how to deal with complex units.
        October - Assemble quilt blocks and borders.
        November - Learn Sue's Free motion feather quilting techniques.
        December - Binding and finishing - Learn how to embellish fabric with decorative stitches to make your own binding fabric

Comment

It looks like a challenge! Sorry to learn that you will not be teaching Margo. I have learned so much from your webshots and posts about the BOM's and quilting techniques in general.

Comment

Thanks for the kudos! ops:

I won't be putting together the instructions for the BOM, but I will be making one and available to answer questions on the forum!!

I'm just not sure who will be doing the instructions and whether or not there will be videos this year.

Comment

I had been hoping you would say that Margo. I am going to start thinking about what colours I would like and begin to gather the fabrics together. I am looking forward to this project.

Comment

I love the 2013 quilt. Looks like all solid fabrics, maybe Kona solids which are relatively inexpensive from Hancocks of Paducah and they've got them all. I don't see any intricate piecing if those triangles are done with paper piecing...easy peasy. I'm looking forward to it.

2009 I tried, but had major shoulder surgery, then panic about my poor piecing skills. I've had a bit of practice since then and may get back to it. At least what's done is square and could be finished off.

I was just reviewing some of the other BOMS, but McAfee is throwing warnings on that part of TQS. hmmm. Time for a note to tech.

Comment

Have the fabric requirements been posted yet? I would like to start collecting mine as well.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think everything gets posted on 1 January, and not sooner. It would really be nice to get the fabric quantities to start collecting now... I participated in the 2012 BOM and nothing was available until the first month. Can't speak for previous BOMs because I did not participate. The only thing I could imagine doing now is browsing through some quilt books to see what comes close to this design and see what the fabric requirements there are. I think the overall size of the quilt was posted so you you might be able to get an approximation that way. Just a thought... but be prepared to improvise if your approximation is short. :roll:

Comment

I just looked up the BOM for Sedona Star and the listing with introduction, fabric requirements, etc started on the 6th of Dec of 2011. So maybe the 2013 will do the same and start in Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by gmhowl
                        I just looked up the BOM for Sedona Star and the listing with introduction, fabric requirements, etc started on the 6th of Dec of 2011. So maybe the 2013 will do the same and start in Dec.
                        I remember that the fabric requirements were listed early, as well as a black and white design that we could use to play with colours! I am in over my head currently with multiple projects, so don't really need to think about 2013 until then (said in my best Scarlett O'Hara manner!)

Maggie in E. central Illinois, who is being silly and thinking that she will probably miniaturize this BOM

Comment

I had those thoughts too Maggie

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Does anyone have a good technique for choosing another colour-way? How to audition a BOM without buying all the fabric first? Pencil and crayons? I like the design, but the colours scream at me. Help! Margo?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Terrie, in one of her shows on TQS Jinny Beyer shows how she chooses colours for her quilts. I am just not quite sure which one it is. :roll: But it's a really useful technique for getting a good blend and contrast in a quilt. Maybe somebody else will remember which episode it is.

Comment

Jenny Beyer was a December guest, when they highlight a quilting legend. I know it was a few years ago. But that is a great idea Rita to use her methods.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my USA friends. Sharon

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 181 users online. 0 members and 181 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X