[vb_main_1]

Size for two small houses sewn together

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size for two small houses sewn together

I have been asked repeatedly for size measurements of two small houses sewn together. This is hard to do and explain in a way everyone will understand so this is how I choose to explain it:

Place two houses sewn together on an ACCURATE cutting mat--not all mats are accurate. This is Quilters Select. Place the center seam on any inch mark.

The bottom edge, from outside to outside, should be about 4". Do not take the curve into consideration.

The top edge, from outside to outside, should be about 8", without any thought to the curve.

I say "about" because I can't give you a mathematical answer like a 4" finished square should be exactly 4.5" before being sewn into the quilt.

Seam allowances and pressing the seam OPEN and flat will be the important issue here.

I did ask Wendy to provide a finished size template for use in comparing the sewn houses but that was not to be.

You could cut out the paper templates, tape them together exactly on the sewing line to see what that looks like. I haven't done that. And if you don't tape them perfectly--well, that won't be right.

These photos are of small houses 1 and 2, I don't have any extra 3 and 4 houses made and am out of town teaching for a week so can't make them. But they should be "about" the same as 1 and 2.

All I know for sure is: my 1" scale line was accurate and all the circles were round and all the rings fit together as they should.

BARBARA BLACK
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Barbara, That is a great explanation. I did tape paper together to see if I would get a circle, and much to my dismay I did not.
    I blame my printer. Never did get the perfect 1 inch. There will be challenges for put the circles rings together for many of us,
    but they just need to be open to creative ways to fix any problems. I am just amazed at the number of people jumping on board
    to make this fabulous pattern. It is all so much fun!!! HelenW

Comment

When joining two house tohgether, do we put them in numerical order, 1,2,3,4 or does it make any difference?

Comment

• HelenW
        HelenW commented
        Editing a comment
        Hdroke, Barbara said a while back, that Wendy has you go 1,2,3,4 because the doors and windows are different. Barbara said she did her layout more by which colors she wanted next to each other. So it is up to you. HelenW

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 44 users online. 0 members and 44 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
    X