[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

SIZZLE SHOW AND TELL

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished my Sizzle quilt top. This was the first BOM I've done and enjoyed every minute of it. I wrote about much of my journey on my blog CHQuilts

Comment

Looks great! Excellent job!

Comment

its so interesting to see how other people quilt this. i havent started quilting mine yet

Comment

Hah, I haven't even decided on the backing fabric, let alone the quilting.

Comment

Ta Daa! I just got my quilt back from Kathy Herman (Hearth and Home Quilting) who did a fantastic job with her longarm. This was my first BOM ever. The pine cones in the corners were adapted from a paper piece pattern by Cyrille Zellweger. The mountains on the top panel are Longs Peak and Horsetooth Rock near my home in Northern Colorado. The tree panels on the sides are from a Robert Kaufmann fabric collection called A Walk on the Path. I pieced the back with leftovers and other stash fabrics. I call it Foothills Compass. Thank you TQS!

Comment

A Miller. Inspiring. You took it to a new place and it sings.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Comment

i love how you thought about how you could make this so individual. you did a brilliant job

Comment

A Miller, Your Sizzle quilt is a great example of making it own. It turned out wonderful. Love the color palette and thank you for sharing the
                    the meaning of the blocks and showing the back side. I am curious. Did you start Sizzle with the idea of just doing the BOM, or did you
                    come up with a game plan for adding your extra block border before you started? I did my mini Sizzle first and then added extra applique after
                    the fact, when I couldn't decide on a quilting design to use. And after the fact I like it much better and the quilting will now just be stitching around
                    all the appliques in the background area. and maybe a little extra stippling. Great job, love the detail pictures. HelenW

Comment

In August I went to a taping of TQS in Denver. I hadn't considered doing the BOM before that. I saw the quilt up close and the TQS folks encouraged me: "You'll learn so much!" There were a couple of colors in the kit that didn't appeal to me so I went home and looked at my stash. I thought I'd do one square and see how it went. - The first one went well, and then I did the next and the next...I liked using my own fabrics. The earthtone colors are really my favored palette. I don't mind applique, but I knew I'd be unhappy doing so much of it on the border. My plan at first was to put pine cones along the bottom, trees along the sides and then mountains on top. I was in The Fig Leaf quilt shop in Fort Collins and the Robert Kaufmann panel fabric caught my eye as perfect for the side panels. I purchased the pine cone paper piece pattern online and did not like the pine needle part of the pattern. so I just made the pine cones and pieced them together in pairs. Once I had the sets of two, it just seemed to work best to put them in the corners. I was going to piece the mountains, but I ended up simply doing raw edge applique with a little thread painting to embellish. The needles on the pine cones are couched green cord. To prepare the pine cones for couching, I used a tear-away stabilizer on the back. I tried using a LePen marker to make the needles but I did not like the results so I went with the couching until I got tired! I almost didn't piece the back, but the leftovers spoke to me.

Comment

PS Thank you everyone for kind and encouraging words!

Comment

Help my friends! I finished my blocks, and this fabric would be the best border ( not doing the appliqué) but it is discontinued!! Anyone have RJR Jinny Beyer Chelsea 2011-11 in this plum and blue floral color way??

Comment

Help my friends! I finished my blocks, and this fabric would be the best border ( not doing the appliqué) but it is discontinued!! Anyone have RJR Jinny Beyer Chelsea 2011-11 in this plum and blue floral color way??

Comment

Shirley, have you tried searching at www.quiltshops.com? It's a huge group of brick and mortar quilt shops that post their fabrics. Good luck!

Comment

Also try Etsy. Lots of fabrics there.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 261 users online. 0 members and 261 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X