Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susie,
    It is beautiful!!!

Comment

There's a photo that's ALMOST like the Halo Medallion in the Jan/Feb 2018 issue of QuiltMania (p. 42, by Jan van Roest). You can also see a photo of this quilt at https://quiltsathome.blogspot.com/2017/09/
      It's a beautiful blue and white version.

Comment

Anabeth I found it on the blog, wow that is a stunner!

Comment

Anabeth, thank you for sharing. It’s so beautiful that I’m almost tempted to make make this simplified version since I’m not making the BOM this year. Just stunning!

Comment

We are on the same page. I just finished my blocks and sewed them today...Whew....I have been working on this block for months....making every mistake
            I could. Very frustrating but happy I got it done.

Comment

Bonjour

I’m behind too, not sure when it will be finished, but it doesn’t matter because I’m still having fun doing it !
              I brought the pinwheels and the flying geese along with my sewing machine to the cottage we rent every summer in Maine. I enjoyed doing them after a day at the beach. When I came home I assembled the pinwheels only to realise that they were 1/8 too small. A very humble moment - I still have a lot to learn ! No choice but to make them again. Then I decided to try another block. I tried several and decided to do twinkle stars which take forever to do but they are sooooo cute ! I’ doing them a little larger than neeeded so I can recut to the right size.
              Thank you all for showing you wonderful quilts, they are beautiful and very inspiring, I enjoyed every minute of this quilting adventure !

Comment

Looks really good to me....Cannot wait to see it quilted.

Comment

I just love how everyon's quilts are turning out.
                  OlgaJo your focus fabric really comes to life when you showcase the birds in the delectable mountains. Beautiful. I too am behind but catching up. Working on flying geese border now. Did anyone ever consider elongating the quilt to a rectangle so it would fit a bed better? I am wondering if an extra row of pinwheels on two sides, then an extra row of flying geese on two sides might only mean one more delectable mountain on the final round. It looks possible by the way the pinwheels and flying geese borders work. Just thinking....
                  Here is mine so far.
                  Heather

Comment

Hi,

In the past, Barbara Black has pointed us to some of Sue Garman's videos from 2009. You can find ALL of them here: https://thequiltshow.com/component/allvideoshare/video/bom-2009-sue-garman-sue-garman-tips-for-bom-2009

Sue G has a brilliant discussion of resizing designs in her October 2009 video. I didn't notice it until December but by then I was too far along with my own Halo Medallion to make changes and buy more fabric so mine is square. Oh, how I wish I had noticed it before my own inertia set in. I highly recommend her October video if you are considering making Halo Medallion a rectangle to fit a bed. I think it will be well worth your time to watch!

I was a beginning quilter in 2009 and not yet a member of TQS. I'm very grateful that Barbara pointed us to the 2009 videos and even more grateful to have ongoing access to the valuable information Sue included in those videos.

Becky

Comment

Bringing up the rear! Trying to just stick to the monthly format from this point on.

Comment

PtboGrandma Your quilt is looking good. Thanks for the positive feedback on my birds. I am really happy with the way they turned out. Just took it to the machine quilter this morning and gave her the freedom to do with it what she wants. She does excellent work, so I am not worried. I would have loved to make mine a rectangle as well, but like Becky, I was scrounging for fabric by the end. Thanks for the link to Sue's videos Becky.

Comment

So I thought I would make everyone's day and share what has happened to my Halo Medallion. I have been merrily quilting along and got to the last round and thought, hmmm, it looks wavy. Ok, kept quilting and actually the quilting looks dang good. So quilting done and laid it on my BIG table and VERY wavy. Dang it!!! So realized my rookie mistake and had the bias on the outside of the triangles. I did the delectible mountains the other way without a seam in the mountains. Well, that quilt was waving all across AMERICA!!! No amount of blocking was going to help it.

Sew, I made the very difficult decision to cut the last round off and start over. Yes, I did!!! First I made dang sure I had enough fabric to start over. Whew! Sew cut it off from the delectable mountains to the floater and remade all the mountains again and cut the triangles WITHOUT bias on the straight edge and have now reattached the backing, new batting and just added the new mountains to the quilt. The only thing that is sad, I didn't have enough backing to match, so added a solid and I think it will be fine. If the judges don't like it, sew what. It will be a wedding gift anyway.

I had hoped to have this quilt finished to enter into Indiana Heritage quilt show, but it won't be happening. I will post photo of the new and improved and NOT wavy quilt soon.

Happy sewing everyone from, we got 3" snow last night, Colorado.

Sharon

Comment

My, oh my, oh my!!! I would have done the same thing. I wouldn't have liked it but what is the alternative? Throw it away? (Okay, I admit I've done that but only with SMALL projects!).

I think pieced backings are more interesting so that will look great!

I imagine you're adding the DM border using some kind of QAYG technique. Is that correct?
                            Becky

Comment

Becky, I'm not doing QAYG. I cut the backing and carefully held the old batting and top back and added the backing. Did the same with the batting only did a big zigzag to attach it. Then held the new batting and backing under as I added the new DM. When I cut away the old part I left myself about an inch to work with which really helped. So now time will tell how it turns out, but so far you can't tell the difference.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon, I am so sorry you didn't see the November 1 blog I wrote on the need to cut those big triangles as quarter square triangles so the outside edges are on the straight grain.

It does sound like you made lemonade, congrats on carrying on.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                                North Alabama, USA
                                "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X