Half-Size Measurements

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 8 CHURN DASH block
    Finished size 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" - 5x5 from edge to edge

It gets easier with each month, since we have done similar steps in other blocks.

You will need a 9-patch block like in month 1- it measures 2" x 2" from edge to edge;
    4 HST 2" x 2" (please refer to the Golden Gate block in may);
    4 "half&half" squares:
    I used a 9" strip 1-1/2" wide (this is oversized, you actually need 1-1/4" if accurate). Sew together and press towards the dark side.

Cut in 2" wide pieces and cut them square aligning the 1" mark on the seam:

Sew in rows... you know, the usual... :silly:
    My finished blocks:

Comment

Your blocks all look so pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing them together. thank you for the explanation, I'll keep over sizing mine and trimming them

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks again Andree' looking forward to working on them soon.
        Barb

Comment

Month 9 – Garden path.

I mentionned that I foundation-pieced mine, but if you use Lynette’s method, you will need 1-1/4” HST (2” for regular size, minus 1/2” seam allowance equals 1-1/2” finished; divided by 2 equals 3/4” finished; plus 1/2” seam allowances). For the center square, you will need a 2” square, as usual.

The way I did mine, I had “Y” seams at the end of the construction.

I thought I’d share a step I did.

I cut my foundations without the 1/4” around it. The way the corner piece is sewn, the seam allowances are towards the center. When I joined each corner piece to the center square, I sew from one corner to the other, following the “edge” of the paper. I did this all around it. Then I could remove the paper.

For 2 opposite corners, I changed the side of the last seam allowance to the other side. That way, when I joined the last seam (the last of the “Y”), the seam allowances will “nest” at the corner (to form the “large” square).

I used that “butterfly” technique (thanks to Gyleen Fitzgerald!).

My finished block:

Comment

Beautiful Andree.

I'm just trying July star block, 2nd attempt!! Can't get points right to the centre square, I think my fabric is too fine and stretches. Looks like I'm going to have to resort to the old starch finally.

Comment

On a roll now. It all got a lot easier after I realised I had a 90/14 needle pushing the fabric down the throat plate :whistle:

Comment

Nice Wendy!

Comment

It's beautiful Wendy!

Andrée

Comment

August now on to rabbit month

Comment

Bunny month done

and there I was thinking phew I've caught up. Then realise it's Oct 1st :woohoo:

Comment

Wendy - Awesome rabbits and horse!
                        Still catching up here I'll hopefully get back into the swing of things in a day or so.
                        Barb

Comment

Thanks Barb, it's easy to get behind but no so bad catching up. After this month we've only another 2 blocks to go. I'm not looking forward to the border and all those triangles.

Comment

Your welcome, I just downloaded October, not to scary also shows particle assembly.

Barb

Comment

Yes I'll see what Andree says. I tried to take shortcuts with the rabbits blocks and use less triangles but got in all sorts of trouble when I trimmed to size when assembling! Hadn't thought it through.

How far have you got. I'm doing a goat next :lol:

Comment

Wendy,
                                I love your blocks!
                                I just downloaded October Instructions. I've already traced the Weathervane block in EQ7 and the Sawtooth as well (ahead in piecing, but SOOOOO much behind in appliqué! ).

Different ways to look at it, whether you like to paper-piece or not.

If you want to piece the Weathervane the "old fashion " way, then you know that your HST must measure 1-1/4" from edge to edge, as well as the small squares. The center square is 2" x 2", so each rectangle is 2" x 1-1/4". One gain we could make here is that instead of 2 HST, we could make a flying geese 2" x 1-1/4 for each side. One seam less...

I'm not sure I will paperpiece mine, since there is going to be 7 sections...no gain there really....

I should be cutting my fabric tonight, maybe piecing tomorrow. Back on Saturday with photos...

Andrée

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X