[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Birdhouse Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the size of your background? I want to make mine smaller but I dont know what size yet . Didnt know how many pinwheels to make it fit sides and top.
    Thank you in advance.

Comment

I know Alex hasn't touched on it yet, but I love fusible applique. So I am adding my state bird, the scissortail, to my quilt.

Comment

When my background fabric shows through my lighter appliqué fabric I slide a similarly shaped piece of Ricky Tim’s “Stable Stuff” between
        the appliqué fabric and background fabric. Stable Stuff is; thin, washable, being polyester becomes part of the quilt and the pattern can be traced on it with removable ink products. I have used this product many times in quilts and wall hanging and have always been pleases. The Stable Stuff is a little stiff but becomes softer with handling and very soft with washing. It may still be available at Ricky Tim’s site. It came in a package of 8x11” sheets and a larger size.

Comment

I have the background ready to start on the applique.

Comment

I am a little behind on this project but today I went back and looked over the instructions for doing the appliqué using spray starch method. I have never done any of these appliqué methods, so I have lots of questions. In the video that Alex did for this method, she used two sheets of freezer paper for the heart cutout. Why two? Can't you just use one sheet of paper? Anyone can answer this, please.

Comment

Makes the template stronger.
              Monique 

Comment

Originally posted by "PaolaRB" post=154169
                I am a little behind on this project but today I went back and looked over the instructions for doing the appliqué using spray starch method. I have never done any of these appliqué methods, so I have lots of questions. In the video that Alex did for this method, she used two sheets of freezer paper for the heart cutout. Why two? Can't you just use one sheet of paper? Anyone can answer this, please.
                PaolaRB Using two sheets of freezer paper makes for a strong edge to turn the fabric against. If you just use one sheet there is a likely chance the paper will roll up as you press the seam over it and distort the shape you are making. HelenW

Comment

Introduction download instructions state: 32.5 x 40.5
                  -dena

Comment

Introduction download instructions state: 32.5 x 40.5 is raw state before pinwheels
                    -dena

Comment

Still playing with EQ8 and Birdhouse quilt. HelenW

Comment

https://thequiltshow.com/community/my-profile/littlestitches

LittleSitiches: the Introduction download instructions state green background is 32.5 x 40.5. This is size before pinwheel border is added
                        -dena

Comment

My latest pic of WIP bird houses, still moving things around
                          -dena

Comment

Here is my birdhouse quilt so far. I have tried turned applique each way, but much prefer raw edge machine stitched. My hands get cramped up from hand sewing. I am planning on making more birds and may change out some of the flowers. This has been fun. Thanks Alex.

Comment

Thank you HelenW and Moniquer for explaining the why of using 2 sheets of freezer paper when doing the spray starch method of appliqué . It makes sense to me now.

Comment

That is just darling!! So fun seeing different views of "Birdhouses"!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X