[vb_main_1]

Holiday Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Quilt

Included because the holiday quilt border inspired me to complete this UFO. It is raw edge applique, but hand blanket stitched. It's quilt as you go, but with great angst on the borders. About a full size bed cover.
    Thank you! I would never have completed it.

I printed the pattern for the Holiday Quilt at 100%. After printing the applique page, the square that should have measured 1" was measured at approximately 1 3/4". I reprinted at 60% of the original size and the square measured 1" as it should have. However, the circle for the holly berry also measured 1", but should have measured 1 1/4" in diameter. I had to reprint at 75% from the original size to have the circle measure 1 1/4". What measurement should the holly leaf be? It is not marked on the pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by "joppagirl" post=151455
      I printed the pattern for the Holiday Quilt at 100%. After printing the applique page, the square that should have measured 1" was measured at approximately 1 3/4". I reprinted at 60% of the original size and the square measured 1" as it should have. However, the circle for the holly berry also measured 1", but should have measured 1 1/4" in diameter. I had to reprint at 75% from the original size to have the circle measure 1 1/4". What measurement should the holly leaf be? It is not marked on the pattern.
      Joppagirl,

Out of curiosity, I printed it and sure enough it was not the correct size when I printed at actual size 100% on my HP printer. I measured it and calculated that if I printed at
      62% of original size the 1" block would actually be 1". The circle then came out at 1" and the holly leaf was 2 3/8+ from point to point. I took screen shots to show it. HelenW
      Could be that the pattern wasn't scanned into Quilters Select at actual size.

Comment

Barbara Black,
        Please take a look at the Holiday Quilt pattern. It looks like there might be a few printing errors. After the appliques printed out the wrong size for me, I
        started looking at the actual pattern. On the page for Quilt Assembly, the top border is listed at 4 1/4 " which is probably a printing error. The corner boxes
        in the blocks are 4 1/4". I think the top border should be 6 1/2 " like the other 3 borders. HelenW

I read thru it and I did not see any more errors. Thank you TQS for giving us the free pattern.

Comment

HelenW asked me to check the math on the Holiday Pattern. It is correct.

What is NOT correct is the front page that says Block size 6". No, the Star Blocks are 15" FINISHED.
          The Half Square Triangles are 1.25" FINISHED. That means they are 1.75" when made, BEFORE being sewn into the block.
          6 x 1.25" = 7.5". The corners are CUT 4.25" so they FINISH to 3.75". 7.5" + 3.75" = 3.75" = 15" FINISHED, 15.5" raw edge to raw edge.
          All of the Sashing measurements are correct as printed.

The OTHER PROBLEM is that the Appliques ARE THE CORRECT SIZE--the measurements printed on them are NOT CORRECT. The Square SHOULD FINISH AT 1 5/8" AS IT DOES, the Berry SHOULD FINISH AT 1.25" AS IT DOES---it is just the NUMBERS THAT ARE INCORRECT. Change the 1" square to 1 5/8", the Berry to 1 1/4" and all is fine.

I will let Alex know.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=151471
            HelenW asked me to check the math on the Holiday Pattern. It is correct.

What is NOT correct is the front page that says Block size 6". No, the Star Blocks are 15" FINISHED.
            The Half Square Triangles are 1.25" FINISHED. That means they are 1.75" when made, BEFORE being sewn into the block.
            6 x 1.25" = 7.5". The corners are CUT 4.25" so they FINISH to 3.75". 7.5" + 3.75" = 3.75" = 15" FINISHED, 15.5" raw edge to raw edge.
            All of the Sashing measurements are correct as printed.

The OTHER PROBLEM is that the Appliques ARE THE CORRECT SIZE--the measurements printed on them are NOT CORRECT. The Square SHOULD FINISH AT 1 5/8" AS IT DOES, the Berry SHOULD FINISH AT 1.25" AS IT DOES---it is just the NUMBERS THAT ARE INCORRECT. Change the 1" square to 1 5/8", the Berry to 1 1/4" and all is fine.

Barbara,
            So you think the top border should be cut at 4 1/2" not 6 1/2 "?
            Helen

I will let Alex know.

Comment

HelenW, you are correct--that top border graphic is NOT CORRECT. The cutting instructions have the top and bottom borders CUT at 6.5" x 47", and the sides are CUT 6.5" x 35”..

Alex thinks the Applique templates, page 7, are not correct--they are too big. She is working with Quilter's Select to get those fixed. In reality, it really doesn't matter if the berries and holly are larger but it does matter that the page is incorrect.

Thanks, again, for finding these things.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

They work fast--all fixed! You may have to hit Refresh on the website to get it. I just double checked and everything has been corrected, including the size of the applique' templates.

https://quiltersselect.com/pdf/QSHolidayQuiltInstructions.pdf

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=151477
                  HelenW, you are correct--that top border graphic is NOT CORRECT. The cutting instructions have the top and bottom borders CUT at 6.5" x 47", and the sides are CUT 6.5" x 47".

Alex thinks the Applique templates, page 7, are not correct--they are too big. She is working with Quilter's Select to get those fixed. In reality, it really doesn't matter if the berries and holly are larger but it does matter that the page is incorrect.

Thanks, again, for finding these things.
                  Barbara, That is great that the members can access it right here from the insert in your post. Just to show how easy it is to be thinking one thing and type another, look at your
                  border measurements above. The sides should be 6.5" x 35 not 47". We all make mistakes. I make more than my share, but when you catch them they can be corrected.
                  I think we have saved a lot of frustration on the forum by getting things corrected ahead of the project thanks to Joppagirl's early post. HelenW

Comment

Coloring Pages for Holiday Quilt. I always like to do several different coloring pages before deciding on a final
                    color palette for my quilts. I drew the quilt up in EQ8 and then just did a screen shot of the line drawings. Thought
                    that some of you might want to play with colors too. It is fun!!! HelenW

Comment

If you can't get the Star Singles or the shipping is to much you can print your own form this web site. http://quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html
                      They are different that the Star Singles so if you can get them they are they way to go. Printer paper will work but newsprint or paper foundation paper tears more easily. Remember to shorten your stitch length.

When you go to take the paper off the HSTs, fold up the edge toward the paper. I do several at once, the paper will maintain the crease and is easy to separate from the fabric. I like to do this at the ironing board so I can set them down ready to iron them.

After taking the paper off hundreds of HST, when starting at an edge it is difficult not to pull out some stitches. However if you hold close to the center near the stitching, the paper in one hand and the fabric in the other and pull it apart from the center it is less likely to pull out stitches.

Comment

Same 15 inch block. Same half square triangles. Rotating and changing colors, gives a couple different looks.
                        HelenW

Comment

I decided to make just one star block into a table topper for Christmas gift. Once I got it done - so much fun!! I decided to make a second one once my QS packet arrives. I used triangles on a roll so had to trim each little hst down. So plan to use the Star Singles (name?) on the next one. I adore making hst!
                          [attachment:1]star topper #2 11-23-20.

Comment

I love the Star Singles and the dab of glue on the four corners, is the best idea! Love the technique. Thanks Alex

Comment

Thank you HelenW
                              I am from the U.K. and will make a springtime quilt and I very much prefer your top suggestion of a regular star and with the colours of spring together, not scattered.
                              I’m thinking orange and shades of purple for crocus, blues for forgetmenots, yellow for daffodils, then the colours of tulips and finally blossom for the appliqued edge.
                              Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18 users online. 0 members and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X