[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

First sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, last question (hope you don't really believe that). I went to the Bernina store today and I can't afford one of those. They did have a used Janome Memory Craft 1400QT for $300.00 with a 1 month warrenty. My first thought was "what a great deal- half the price of the other machines I am looking at and much more machine!" Then I went to the local Janome dealer and looked at a new one. I'm concerned that the new ones are $1400.00 and this is only $300. Sounds like one of those too good to be true kinds of things (if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is). Would you be concerned about that?

Thanks- This really should be my last buying a machine question- I have them in order of preferance now- or will after I see what y'all think about this.

Lisa

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

My Viking was a used machine and I have not had any trouble with it but even second hand it was expensive so I don't know what to think.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

When I got my new-to-me Bernina, the dealer wouldn't take my old one as a trade-in because he says he can't sell used machines for much. Your Bernina dealer may think the same thing, especially if it is a Janome and he doesn't sell those new. If you put it through every kind of sewing you will use and test everything it can do and if it works, it should be ok.

Comment

My question would the place you purchased it from continue to service the machine once the warrenty has expired.
          If the price is right, machine service is good and the machine does what you want and need...go for it.

FW

Comment

I think they would service it after the warrenty but there are repair shops much closer to me that I am told are very good. I would probably take it to one of them. I will call the local Janome dealer and see if they would service it- they are a little further away but deal mainly with Janome's and Viking's where as the local place services a large number of machines.

Thanks for everyones advice. Looks like I have a few phone calls to make and then if the machine is still available and has all of the accessories (mainly a book) I will go out after work and get it. The price is right so I don't have to wait the 30 days I was going to have to wait.

Everyone has been so helpful! Looks like I found the right place to get advice as I learn to quilt.

Lisa

Comment

If you are just learning to sew, I would choose the dealer would give you the most support. Customer service after the sale may be very important. For example, do they offer classes? If you are both learning to sew and learning a new machine, you may need some extra learning time.

Comment

Well, I did it- I bought the used Janome MC4900 for $300.00. I have been playing around with it, mostly learning to thread it, changing feet and practicing sewing straight lines (boy is that hard ).

Now that I have finished this semesters classes (what was I thinking going back to school part time after 20 years out!!!) I have purchased some material, the series here so far and the machine. Now I have about 8 weeks before summer semester begins to devote to quilting. I just have one question- between work, the forum, the series here, the extra videos, and quilting books- does anyone actually find time to quilt? :?

Thanks everyone for there help on this topic- you've been great

Lisa

Comment

Lisa, I stay home--I haven't worked outside the home for about four years. But even with that luxury, I still feel overwhelmed with stuff I need to do. I love this website and all the fun that goes with it. I find sometimes I'll stay off the computer for a day, let the vacuuming go, and just work on a project. It seems to rejuvenate me just to have that needle in my hand or to get on the sewing machine. That's about the only way I can get to my quilting!!!

Comment

Lisa I never know how long a certain quilt has taken, b/c sometimes I'll sit at the machine & sew for just a quick 5 minutes or so between all the other stuff that goes on! I could never keep track of all that, but I agree with Judy, sometimes a sewing marathon is in order!
                    Florence

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 129 users online. 0 members and 129 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X