[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

First sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ann you and I probably had the same model machine! I started on a Kenmore (Sears' brand) that my MIL found at a yard sale, research tells me it's about a 1961-62 model! (Green!) but it did what I needed for a LONG time, and still works, I've just "graduated".

Lisa, if you have a sewing machine repair person in your area, talk to him/her, they probably have a good take on what lasts... although, like others have said here, what you want to do on it will make a big difference. Good luck! Florence
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Wow! What a lot of great replies. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Went to the closest shop today and from there would probably go with a Janome for the price with the most features. It has everything that y'all have mentioned and is only $100.00 more than a more basic machine. I plan on going by another shop further away within the next couple of weeks- they are the closest Bernina dealer and list several preowned machines on there website. I was going to ask for advice on whether that would be a good idea but y'all have already suggested it (thanks!).

I was impressed that the lady at the sewing store spent 30 minutes with me showing me what different machines would do even though I mentioned from the very beginning that she was the first stop on my research tour.

I will keep looking and asking questions. Y'all have been more helpful than I could have hoped for.

Lisa
      Teri

Comment

Just my thoughts on buying used....My most beloved and favorite machine is a Bernina 810 I bought used from a shop in Beaverton, Oregon that sells and services machines. It stitches beautifully, as a matter of fact it sews the best stitch of all 8 machines in the house, and it is also the most quiet. And the gentleman who works on the machines is so great that we have taken our machines their for service even though we live in Tacoma, Washington now, which is about two hundred miles away!
        Teri

Comment

Hey, Peter!!!!!!!!!!! What about your Babylock Quest? :P :P
          eileenkny 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
            Hey, Peter!!!!!!!!!!! What about your Babylock Quest? :P :P
            eileenkny 8)
            Oh Eileen I still love the newest member of the family to be sure it is the the most sophisticated machine I own, but...... My first real love will always be that old work horse Bernina that purrrrs so quietly as it sews

Comment

Hi Arkansas - your first sewing machine - how exciting! A lot of the dealers have great deals on trade-ins. I'd rather have a good, used Bernina, Pfaff, etc than a new Singer if that's what I can afford. The older European machines with the metal heads still have a great stitch. I'd also recommend going one step beyond what you think you need, because I can guarantee you that in six months, you'll want what that next machine up has! You can get a lot of machine for the money with a trade-in machine.
              Ann, you're absolutely right - those older White's that were sold under the Sears brand were incredible machines. My mom had one and my best friend back in the 60's (dating myself) did, too. My mom's is in my sister's closet in Florida, probably rusting away, but as I write this, I think I'm going to bring it home on my next trip there. Sister doesn't sew a stitch.
              Enjoy your shopping and that new machine, whichever one you choose.
              Pat

Comment

Well, my choices are adding up. I can get a somewhat basic Janome with 50 stiches and everything that y'all have suggested, a quilters Brother with 100 stiches and all the letters (do I need letters?), or last years model Pfaff with everything that the Brother has except for the larger quilting platform (probably not what it is called) all for the same price at different stores. I have one more store to check out whose website says they have some tradein Bernina's.

Of the above, the store with the Janome was very nice but the machine is the most basic- good basic education with the machine though and very nice people. The place with the Brother is the most convenient and does service them but when I asked about instruction I was told that they would "show me how to thread it and stuff" and then they "had a lady who could give me some lessons at an extra cost." The place with the Pfaff had the best customer support- free yearly service for 5 years, free new owners classes and free quilting and other sewing classes (they have 2 large class rooms attached) and other service items.

I am thinking that unless I can get a great deal on a Bernina that the Pfaff is probably my best bet- when you look at the machine and the support. Of the 3 places I have been so far it is the furthest away ( about 40 minutes) but is closer than the Bernina place (1 hour away).

Any feedback? Is my reasoning sound? Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasPT
                  The place with the Pfaff had the best customer support- free yearly service for 5 years, free new owners classes and free quilting and other sewing classes (they have 2 large class rooms attached) and other service items.

I am thinking that unless I can get a great deal on a Bernina that the Pfaff is probably my best bet- when you look at the machine and the support. Of the 3 places I have been so far it is the furthest away ( about 40 minutes) but is closer than the Bernina place (1 hour away).

Any feedback? Is my reasoning sound? Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Lisa
                  I am a very big pfaff pfan...I have tiptronic 2030 about 6 years old. still purrs like a kitten and sews like a clydsdale :?
                  it sounds like you know you want more than a basic machine...
                  frankly, I'll pay more for a product if the service is great.

Comment

I love my Pfaff. That integrated dual feed is worth its weight in gold. Piecing is SOOOO accurate!

Spring for the quarter inch foot with the "fence" because it makes piecing much less stressful on the eyes. I use mine almost all the time and really love it.

I understand that they now have a similar foot for 5/8" seams, too (for garment construction).

BethMI

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasPT
                      Well, my choices are adding up. I can get a somewhat basic Janome with 50 stiches and everything that y'all have suggested, a quilters Brother with 100 stiches and all the letters (do I need letters?), or last years model Pfaff with everything that the Brother has except for the larger quilting platform (probably not what it is called) all for the same price at different stores. I have one more store to check out whose website says they have some tradein Bernina's.

Of the above, the store with the Janome was very nice but the machine is the most basic- good basic education with the machine though and very nice people. The place with the Brother is the most convenient and does service them but when I asked about instruction I was told that they would "show me how to thread it and stuff" and then they "had a lady who could give me some lessons at an extra cost." The place with the Pfaff had the best customer support- free yearly service for 5 years, free new owners classes and free quilting and other sewing classes (they have 2 large class rooms attached) and other service items.

Lisa
                      Sweet Arkensa, you just need to go with your own feelings on this :lol: Some loves Bernins...some Pfaff and i love janome...thats the way it is!!! Pick a machine with str8 stitches...zigzag and blanket stitches..and some more you dont think you need and you will be ok!!! Good luck to you on your efford to buy YOUR machine :wink: :lol: 8)

Comment

Hi Arkansas!

The Pfaff sounds like a GREAT deal! I agree...unless you can get a really good deal on the Bernina, with comparable customer service, I'd go with the Pfaff.

I had to Google Map where Bryant is...I've heard of it, but never knew where it is. I'm up here in Henderson (right outside of Mountain Home.) But my son lives in LR!

Comment

Christi-

I usually tell people I'm from Little Rock if I am talking to people from out of state. It's just easier. You're in a beautiful part of the state.

Lisa

Comment

Lisa,
                            The Pfaff deal sounds like the best one. You canNOT go without good service. You don't want a dealer who has to send the machine out or who tells you he'll have to keep it for several weeks because he has too many to work on.
                            One more thing to ask all these dealers-Do they have loaners? Some dealers have machines you can take home while they work on yours. Doesn't hurt to ask.
                            eileenkny 8)

Comment

That's a great question- thanks. Unfortunatly the sewing machine has been put on my "check back in 30 days to see if I still want one" list. My dog got sick this weekend and had to spend the weekend at the vet- took my sewing machine money. Oh well, my dog is a sweetheart and is old- so I won't have her much longer. The vet confirmed this this weekend .

Lisa

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog Lisa. Hope everything goes as best it can and you two enjoy the time you have left together.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 89 users online. 0 members and 89 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X