[vb_main_1]

First sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sewing machine

Hi- I am new to quilting and am enjoying it so far. To this point I have hand peiced a top and will go to my LQS to quilt it on a long arm machine (I am in a hurry to see what it is like done- I will figure out hand quilting at some point). I am thinking about getting a sewing machine. I do no other sewing. Any suggestions on where to start? Am I best off with a basic machine until I know what I am doing or with a better machine? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Lisa

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Welcome to our sewing world! Really the first thing you need to decide is what your budget is for the sewing machine. You could fall over at some of the prices. Many, many years ago (35) my mom gave me a Viking for graduation and it lasted ten years, then I went through two Berninas and now I have a Janome 6500. but with my job I really put the peddle to the metal.

Basic is not a bad thing to get used to the process. You could find a very basic machine at reasonable prices, but I would recommend going to a dealer and not necessarily a fabric shop (i.e. Jo-Ann's) because if something goes wrong they just send it away. At a dealer at least he can fix it or give you lessons.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. Sound like you are doing fine with what you are using now.

Sharon in NE Colorado - beautiful blue sky day

Comment

Couple of suggestions: don't buy a machine from somewhere like Walmart or Sears where there is no one to help you learn how to use it or with problems. A good idea is to buy one that can be traded in on a better one later. I think Brother does this as does Viking. Be sure and buy from someone who gives you all the free lessons you need to learn all your machine can do.

You will probably be more comfortable with a simpler machine at first; it could be overwhelming to start sewing on one with too many functions and attachments. You do want some options, though, several "feet" including a walking foot and free-motion foot, although you might wait a while to tackle free-motion. Make sure and get a "surround". It's the plexiglass that extends your sewing area. It makes things so much easier.

You might also want to invest in a good chair. It need not cost a ton and you might find one 2nd hand. You'll want to sit with your chair high enough that your forearms are horizontal when sewing.

Good luck in your search and congratulations on taking this next step! You'll be sewing up a storm in no time!

Nancy in Sunny but still cold western NY

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasPT
        Hi- I am new to quilting and am enjoying it so far. To this point I have hand peiced a top and will go to my LQS to quilt it on a long arm machine (I am in a hurry to see what it is like done- I will figure out hand quilting at some point). I am thinking about getting a sewing machine. I do no other sewing. Any suggestions on where to start? Am I best off with a basic machine until I know what I am doing or with a better machine? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Lisa
        Welcome Arkansas!!!!! You need a sewingmachine :wink: What you need to decide on is how much you want to pay for one and what you want it to do for you! The worse that can happen though is you buying a small machine and realize just after a few months that you needed it to be a bit bigger. Why not invest in a machine you can use as a secind machine if you upgrade??? I advise you to get a machine that sews Strait stitches, zigzag and blanket stitches!! I have a Janome MC 6600, but you do not need your first machine to be that big or expencive. I am going to buy Janome Jem Platinum as a second machine...It has all I need for a second and is not heavy so it is ideal to take to classes etc...and it has a 1/4" foot :wink: Its not good for free motion quilting though...but you may not start free motion right away..or you might just do that :shock:
        If there is anything you want to ask..just ask..we are a lot of people on here that would be more than happy to help :lol:

Comment

Ok, I am opposet of you Nancy 8) I went to Sears to get both my first machine and the one I am using now. My first machine was a very basic model that was very easy to self teach - it served as my only machine for 6 years! When you are just starting out you really don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles, and a basic machine won't confuse you as much. I think that one cost me around $150. I liked Sears because I was able to purchase a service plan, so if anything happens to my machine I can take it back to the store and they will fix it. As my skills improved I decided to upgrade about a year ago to a computerized model - which I paid around $500, and eventually I will upgrade again - how soon depends on finances. I still have machine #1 though and still use it quite often, its portable so I can take it to classes and such and since it is simple I used it to teach my little sister and my girls.

Comment

Welcome Lisa, you've come to the right place for advice. Everthing that has been said so far has merit and what you get is more than likely to be adequate. My suggestion is to invest in a machine that will include things like needle up and needle down, the ability to drop the feed dogs, speed control, etc. I have a Janome Quilter's Companion that came with a walking foot, a quarter inch foot and some other quilting goodies. This cost about $700 and I've been very happy with it. Gloria

Comment

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this. I have tomorrow off so I am sure I will go and look at machines but will probably spend a little time researching before I pick one out.

Lisa

Comment

what ever else you get --- these are the three things I would be sure to have if you are doing basic piecing and maybe some applique on the machine (it won't be long and you will need to do a little of it even if it is only to attach a label ) I would make sure I had a good adjustable straight stitch, a zig zag, and a buttonhole/blanket stitch. And then a quarter inch foot and if possible a plastic see through one with marks for turning corners.

I used a Kenmore(actually made by White) and sold by Sears which was a wedding gift forty seven years ago. It finally died about eight years ago (and I never had a lesson on it but it was so basic any sewing machine repair person in the world who was any good at all could do its adjustments and annual --lol--- cleaning.

I now have two Vikings and I love them but am having more trouble getting good service because we travel and I found out too late that the service person for the area where I bought the machine is very unreliable. doesn't return phone calls - attached a needle threader and did the adjustments etc but forgot to tighten down the screw so by the time we drove thirty five miles home from his store, it had fallen off. Tried for three weeks to reach him to set up a time to get it fixed AGAIN and no return calls and at the price of gas last summer I wasn't driving seventy miles to find out he wasn't keeping his posted hours.

Moral of the story find out about your service and even if you have to go to a different area to get the machine the warranty service is really important and some other dealers don't want to do warranty work when you have bought the machine some where else. (cant understand that in machines, cars or motorhomes but it seems to be a trend boo hoo )

Good luck on your search and enjoy. It won't be long until you want bigger and better but the workhorse is always good for piecing and if the "good " one has to go to the hospital so I wouldn't worry so much about trade in. ONE SEWING MACHINE GOOD. TWO SEWING MACHINES --BETTER, THREE THE START OF A COLLECTION AND THEN GO READ SOME OF pknord's posts. When you get that many you are obsessed. LOL (love you Pat and then people should see her stash but that is another topic LOL)

Ann who will travel this summer with two Vikings and one dh, (lets see who is the best behaved?)

Comment

Ann, I do hope you'll be stopping for a night in Rockport? I'm nibbling away at my stash--right now I'm doing my first ever Drunkard's Path quilt, using 30s repro fabrics. Every now and then I get on a very traditional kick.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Pat, I am doing a Drunkard's path using a variety of Civil War fabrics mostly reds, blues and tans. What is your design? I put mine up on the design wall and am playing with it. My intention was to give it to my son for his kingsized bed. I showed it to him on Easter and told him that some people don't like the drabness of the fabric but since I am a history buff, I chose to do it. He said ," Mom, it doesn't jump out at me." I said fine, I will make it for myself and then will choose a dark blue, a cream, and a burgundy and make him one out of those colors. I think all of the different fabrics turned him off. I am using the book Drunkard's Path, Stepping Beyond by Cheryl Phillips and Karla Schulz p. 56 if you have the book.

Judy in AZ

Comment

Judy and Pat, your quilts will be wonderful--both in my favorite fabrics!!!

Comment

Hi, Lisa (Arkansas)! Welcome to quilting!!! Everyone has given you such good advice on a first machine. I just bought a Bernina 435 Anniversary edition. It has alot of stitches and machine quilting abilities which I am interested in presently. I have used my wonderful Singer Featherweight for many years (I'll never part with it!), but it only has a straight stitch. It's really great to take to classes, though, because it's easy to transport. You will probably have to decide what type of quilting you are interested in and what stitches you need, etc. One reason I decided on the Bernina was the quality of stitches and the low noise level of the machine.

Comment

When any of my friends that are just starting out ask about sewing machines, I always tell them to go to Sears(sorry Nancy). I think that for basic machines they're great. I also tell them to invest in the service agreement.
                          They sell a lot more brands now so you don't have to settle for less, and the prices are more than reasonable.
                          IMNSHO, some quilts shops that sell machines are over the top. I'm not selling a body part for a sewing machine :roll:
                          eileenkny 8)

Comment

I suggest going to a sewing center...or a store that sells sewing machines so that you can try them. Try different machines so that you can get a feel of what you like and do not like in a machine. Also check out dealers...and sometimes they have trade ins on machines. You may find a nice machine with more on it...but it was pre-owned. Many times you can purchase a service agreement for the machine.

Remember you are test driving machines like you would a car.
                            Look at how the machine is set up...are the buttons easy to read and understand? What kind of sewing feet come with the machine...or do they need to be an additional purchase.
                            Can you 'grow' with your machine...meaning can you do other techniques such as embriodery...decorative stitching if you want.

I know that this is your first machine...and probably straight stitching is your main requirement. But I believe getting the best value for your dollar!!

FW

Comment

Here's my 6 cents worth (inflation these days)

Ready?

Find several dealers in your area and go play with the machines. Like Ann mentioned there are several basic things you want: zig zag, needle down, adjustable stitch length etc. These are KEY features. Think about where you want to go with patchwork and quilting in the next 2 or so years and purchase something you can grow into. For example if you're thinking that you'd like to do a lot of applique or machine quilting then needle down is key.

Think about purchasing a machine that has been traded in. If it's from a good reputable dealer they'll usually offer service for so many days and guide classes. Often times with these machines you can get more features for the money you have to spend.

Also, if you're getting into machine quilting (and it seems that way from your post) then make sure the motor is heavy duty. The last thing you want to do is wear out the motor.

Try different brands of machines and see what fits. Me, I'm a Bernina girl. I've played with various other machines and am quite happy with my Bernina. However, there are lots of folks who prefer Pfaff, Husqvarna and Janome...for probably the same reasons I'm in love with Bernina. I'll keep my current Bernina for patchwork and regular sewing and get a new one for quilting when I'm ready.

I'd say, take your time and really give consideration to lots of things before settling down on one machine. I wouldn't go basic until you know what you're doing. I just helped my mom buy a machine (a trade-in) and she said just the other day it's the difference between a very small 4 cylinder car and an 8 cylinder car...what she's able to do with her Bernina is a lot more compared to what she would do with her basic White.

Happy Quilting!
                              Teri
                              Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 138 users online. 0 members and 138 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X