[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loise98
    What is "brass monkey weather"? It might help if I knew what a "Brass Monkey" is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_m...ial_expression)

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
      Robyn, don't unpick it! When I looked at your quilt, my first instinct was to put a thin solid border around it, then create another border with blocks in white and shades of grey, the same size as the spools, that mimick the spool design but extend the quilt outward. If this does not make sense to you, but you are interested, let me know and I'll try to draw it up for you to see. I would try a primary color, like red, for the thin solid border and perhaps the binding too. Now, wouldn't that look modern?
      Hmmmmm...........I like the sound of that - it would give it a modern look and no unpicking! and the right quilting design could make a difference too - I'll play around with that idea and let you know what happens - Thanks Renata!

Comment

Robyn & Renata, I like that idea too!

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
          Click on 'quilt gallery' then 'show and tell' and scroll down the page until you come to Wot RoTT and click on entries.

Thanks Rita!

Comment

Rita, I also did not know that you could search the quilt gallery that way. What other dozens (hundreds?) of bells and whistles are there on the website that I still haven't discovered? I think we need to get the TQS jet to fly us all to a tropical island for a users conference! Think a week would be long enough??? :lol:

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by gynconnie
              Rita, I also did not know that you could search the quilt gallery that way. What other dozens (hundreds?) of bells and whistles are there on the website that I still haven't discovered? I think we need to get the TQS jet to fly us all to a tropical island for a users conference! Think a week would be long enough??? :lol:

Connie I just realized you are only about 45 minutes from me. I live in Trinity just south of High Point.

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

What is "brass monkey weather"? It might help if I knew what a "Brass Monkey" is.
                Here is a link for the "Brass Money Weather" history... enjoy!
                http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bra1.htm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Millboroquilter
                  Here is a link for the "Brass Money Weather" history... enjoy!
                  http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bra1.htm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                  Alternatively, the full phrase that I got from my Dad and his mother, my Nan, was 'Cold enough to put the brass monkey's in the oven'. This would have been a brass ornament of the three brass monkey's See/Speak/Hear no evil, and that it was so cold that they would have been put in the oven to heat up and then be used in the place of a hot water bottle. Nanny was a true Cockney, and this is how I was brought up to understand the description of 'Brass Monkey weather'.

Comment

More fun than a brick and safer than coals in a pan !! Ah...the olde days ! :shock:

Comment

Our "OLD DAY" weather man (back when I was a child) would say, "It's going to be cold tonight so you better bring in the brass monkeys!".. (which insinuated that it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey so you better be ready for it) I always thought that was kind of stupid to say but it was just that generations way of joking…. And I can really say that I see the humor in it soooo…I guess if it was really that cold it would be pretty darn cold!

Comment

Another thing to consider is how cold does it have to be for brass to become so brittle that it would be easy to break it? - I will have to ask DH about that (seeing as he is an engineer...)

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                          Another thing to consider is how cold does it have to be for brass to become so brittle that it would be easy to break it? - I will have to ask DH about that (seeing as he is an engineer...)
                          LOL those guys know EVERYTHING! Hee Hee! I should ask my DSIL he is one too! LOL!
                          But on another note, We shouldn't have to worry about those monkeys for a while now I think Spring has finally sprung here.. now if the wind would just settle down... We already had our first prairie fire yesterday...And the winds were very strong.. We are so lucky to have good fire men... I need to make them a "FIRE" quilt to raffle off for funs that they need....

Comment

Very good idea about the quilt for the firemen

Comment

We all make such beautiful quilts and I've certainly enjoyed all the comments and good will on this forum. Thank you all. A friend sent me this link and just had to share--maybe some of you have seen it already--as it is absolutely something to behold!

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...riendship.html

Not sure I have the fortitude or patience to even begin such a project, let alone in a part of the world where quilting is not widely practiced.
                              Scroll down a bit to see the project--it is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by golfjane
                                We all make such beautiful quilts and I've certainly enjoyed all the comments and good will on this forum. Thank you all. A friend sent me this link and just had to share--maybe some of you have seen it already--as it is absolutely something to behold!

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...riendship.html

Not sure I have the fortitude or patience to even begin such a project, let alone in a part of the world where quilting is not widely practiced.
                                Scroll down a bit to see the project--it is amazing.

Jane, we've all been admiring this amazing quilt: http://forum/this-and-that-quilting-...-a-m-a-z-i-n-g

And, you will enjoy what has happened with Geta and Rita! Scroll down on this page to read about it: http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...inese-whispers

Also...Geta is a TQS member! Luv this community!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 27 users online. 0 members and 27 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X