[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Margo
    Bren, the new photo of your old quilt studio is wonderful!! I'm sure that anyone who looks at it must break into a big smile!!
    It's true, I know that I did!

Lorna, you are right the UK is a great place to be stationed. Lots of interesting places and things to see and do. DH and I have promised ourselves that when the kids are self-sufficient we will tour around the UK and visit all the sites we have wanted to for years. Enjoy it while you can.

Comment

Your so funny Rosemary... You always make me laugh! I have never been to England but my cousin and family lived and worked there and they used to watch the Queens horses go by their flat or house or what ever it is called over there, while they were being exersiced or somethiing like that, I didnt quit understand it all when they were out here to the ranch riding our rodeo/ranch horses and telling us about it... but their daughter was in heaven to get to ride a real horse... I guess we dont look at riding horses like others. It's work for us and its hard on your old bones after a day in the saddle you really do walk like your legs are curved... Mostly your just glad to be standing on the ground for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
        Bren, the new photo of your old quilt studio is wonderful!! I'm sure that anyone who looks at it must break into a big smile!!
        Yeah it makes them smile alright...right up until I ask them to help me put a new roof on it... that pretty much changes the face expression! LOL!

It's a pretty good land mark when I give directions, "you'll know your there when you pop over the hill and see a big red and white quilt on the side of a building" "Just trun in by the mail box and head for the quilt"! LOL!

Comment

Well that was my break for the day... back to pairing out cattle... Will try to get a photo of DH and me riding the willow tails...

Comment

As promissed, here we are, we just finished pairing out about 50 pairs. I'm on Toby and DH is on Gold. Long day today... The ground was really wet and slick.. no one slid or fell with either of us... Thank God! The neighborhood brandings start next Saturday and today I feel old and out of shape! But I'm happy I got one quilt block made... Will try to figure out blog on TQS, would it count if I had a blog somewhere else? Or does it have to be on TQS. Have a great time quilting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by "Millboroquilter
              By the way for the city girls reading this you can flush your toilet during this no electricity 12 day period of time, all you have to do is take an empty 5 gallon bucket to the creek, chop a hole in the ice, fill your bucket with water, carry it back to the house and pour it in the stool... it will flush magically! With or without TP in it! LOL!
              I'm enjoying reading your stories about your ranch life and your painted cabin. A mop bucket filled from a bathtub works too when the plumbing is broke and your DH is too busy to fix it. I'm doing that right now. And although I'm technically a city girl I grew up on a farm and my DH and I have owned a ranch for 35 years where we've spent many weekends. It looks like we will be spending more time there after we build our retirement home this summer. I think I will enjoy the peace and quiet as long as I have my quilting supplies close at hand. I would never be able to do what you do on your ranch. My DH does most of the work on ours, or pays someone else to do it, and it's mostly for entertainment, fishing and hunting, so we have to work in town to make our living.

Comment

Originally posted by Millboroquilter
                As promissed, here we are, we just finished pairing out about 50 pairs. I'm on Toby and DH is on Gold. Long day today... The ground was really wet and slick.. no one slid or fell with either of us... Thank God! The neighborhood brandings start next Saturday and today I feel old and out of shape! But I'm happy I got one quilt block made... Will try to figure out blog on TQS, would it count if I had a blog somewhere else? Or does it have to be on TQS. Have a great time quilting everyone!

Love your picture, as I look close it looks as if you and your husbands stirrups are touching ? How many cattle do you run? Your energy and hard work are very inspiring. We have 100 head of cows and raise
                alfalfa, barley and wheat. Your quilts and story are great. Please give lesson's on how to find time to quilt.

From the southwest corner in Montana (Dillon)

Comment

Great photo of you and beautiful horses. I can imagine all four must bee very tired after a day working like you do

living in Central Denmark
                  Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

... Will try to figure out blog on TQS, would it count if I had a blog somewhere else? Or does it have to be on TQS.
                    Bren, if you already write a blog, you can certainly post a TQS member blog and just add a link to it for us! Several members do that.
                    Here's a recent one: community/my-profile/HelenQ

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

You guys look great! It's Bren, Toby, Gold and your DH would be? I love seeing your quilt house but it is really nice to have a picture of you in my mind when I read what you have to say. If you are really asking my opinion about where to blog, I'm selfish, I want you right here. After the title of the blog some people put NQR (not quilting related) which I might imagine would apply to what you write about in your busy times on the ranch. But think of it this way. Blogging here is another way to keep you connected to your quilting. I love the wide divercity of our community and you have so much to add. Thanks so much for the picture. Stay safe. Keep us posted. Lois

Comment

So that's what you look like Bren! I am with Lois, I like to read the blogs here on the member blogs too.

Comment

Nice picture!!. I wish we had water standing like that. Tonight and Tomorrow we have a good chance of rain.
                          Karen

Comment

Copied from the recipes thread

This isnt a recipe BUT it is an observation about them.

Lorna & I had been discussing her oatmeal cookie recipe and it calls for '1/2 cup (1 stick) & 6 tbsp of butter'. This direction does not make sense to a Brit - because British recipes are gauged by weight. Over here we buy a 'pat of butter' which used to be half a pound (8 ounces) in weight, but is now 250 grammes (about 9 ounces)

(Besides which I've always thought packing a cup with butter and making sure that there are no air gaps to be a messy way of doing things) However following Lorna's explaination about butter packets, markings and amounts 1 stick = 1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons = 4 ounces things became much clearer.

I have since come to the conclusion that USA recipes must be gauged by volume.

When you take this weight versus volume into consideration it makes it much easier to understand the differences between USA & UK recipes.

Comment

Rosemary, And don't forget to add that a US pint is 16 oz and a pint here in England is 20oz. (I thought those pints of ale in the pubs looked pretty big!)

I was amazed by the quoted gas mileage on cars here. I was thinking why the heck can't our cars in the states get that much gas mileage. The trick is a gallon is bigger here so of course it has more miles in it.

Lorna

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna1021
                                Rosemary, And don't forget to add that a US pint is 16 oz and a pint here in England is 20oz. Lorna
                                Oh No It Isn't!
                                Oh Yes it Is!

Oh, sorry - I just had a panto moment there :lol: Actually Lorna, a pint is 16oz here too.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 331 users online. 0 members and 331 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X